HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
22 Posts
Help!
First RC plane

Hello!
I'm thinking about buying my first plane and I need help choosing the right one for a beginner.
I've been looking at a few different planes and the one that caught my eye is the "Cessna 350". Is that a good plane to start with?
Thank you in advance!

edit:It is called "ST MODELS - CESSNA 350 PLUG & PLAY"

Hmm maybe it's not a very good beginner plane, might be a little too expensive as well If I will crash it since it's my first time flying an rc plane. I don't know.. I'd appreciate some suggestions on beginner planes!
crille is offline Find More Posts by crille
Last edited by crille; Nov 06, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: .
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:29 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,854 Posts
It's also a low-wing aircraft, which are just a bit harder to learn on than a high-wing. A high-wing aircraft with significant dihedral (V-shape) to the wing will be the most stable platform to learn with, as the dihedral will tend to being wings back to level after a turn.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:51 PM
Herndon,Virginia
Joined May 2010
175 Posts
the parkzone T-28 is a good one to start with.it's a foamie and easy to repair.but it's a low wing [not a bad thing] and tricycle gear.flyzone just released the sensei.it's a high wing slow trainer.also tricycle gear.
Dale1957 is offline Find More Posts by Dale1957
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale1957 View Post
the parkzone T-28 is a good one to start with.it's a foamie and easy to repair.but it's a low wing [not a bad thing] and tricycle gear.flyzone just released the sensei.it's a high wing slow trainer.also tricycle gear.
What is the difference between "PARKZONE - T-28D TROJAN BNF" and "PARKZONE - T-28D TROJAN PNP"?
I thought a radio transmitter/controller (what is it called in english? :S) was included. Can I by any chance use the one tha came with my Lama V3?
Last edited by crille; Nov 06, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:05 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I would recommend the E-Flight Apprentice. High wing, plenty power, tri-cycle landing gear and it will be a plane you will fly for a long time. And it's foam.
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
wow the st model cessna 350 is low wing, i recommend to buy high wing model such as cessna 182. Or you can consider another model as trainer rc model such as wing dragon " http://electric-rcairplanes.blogspot...ng-dragon.html
rcairplanes is offline Find More Posts by rcairplanes
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:27 PM
DJ_
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
I would suggest the Sensei Trainer from www.towerhobbies.com . It flies very stable, and is a great trainer. It uses the 3s2200mAh batteries, a very popular size, and gets at least 8min flights with about 30% left on the battery. Very quality and durable construction, foam construction for easy repair. It has ailerons, which is a great thing to start with, so you do not have the 3ch to 4ch transition in the future.
DJ_ is offline Find More Posts by DJ_
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
Herndon,Virginia
Joined May 2010
175 Posts
RTF has everything,BNF needs a radio and PLP needs radio and receiver.
Dale1957 is offline Find More Posts by Dale1957
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2011
22 Posts
There aren't many RTF planes at the store I'm looking at. And I did not realise the radios were so expensive.

This was not very expensive compared to the rest, is it good or bad? http://www.mft.nu/?ProdID=5079
Last edited by crille; Nov 07, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
22 Posts
Do you know if the radio that came with my Lama V3 helicopter will work with a "PARKZONE - T-28D TROJAN BNF"?
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:35 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille View Post
...FIRST time flying an rc plane. I'd appreciate some suggestions on beginner planes!
Do yourself a BIG favor and read through the threads in the beginner section. You will find two common answers to your question.

CHAMP: A small three channel plane that you can fly in small areas.

SUPER CUB: A larger plane that you can fly in a field or off the water with optional pontoons (A REAL BLAST!). It comes in three versions, two with a radio. I suggest the one with the DX5 radio.

Both of these are DESIGNED with the beginner in mind. They can take a REAL beating, and be glued back together over and over again if (WHEN) you crash. They can be found at just about any hobby shop, so parts are readily available.

People are FANATICS about their love of these two planes.

I learned on the Super Cub, and recently bought the Parkzone SE5a. I am sure glad I DID NOT start with a 4 channel (ailerons) plane. I would have destroyed it from the start. Some people say the SE5a is as "easy" to fly as the T-28. But MANY say the T-28 is a good SECOND PLANE.

I still love flying my Super Cub, and I think you would too.

Good luck, and happy flying.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:04 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
#1 on the Cub. It is what I learned on and it will take a beating. It wasn't availible with a brushless motor or 2.4gh. Also there is a difference between 2.4 spectrum and 2.4 Spektrum. The real deal is spelled with a K. The others won't bind with Spektrum. The Cub will be a plane you like to fly. There is one point where I differ. I think that if my first plane had ailerons, I would have learned faster and had less bad results. But you can always cut some ailerons in on the Cub later, if you get the DX5 TX. Dave..Pics were after 1 week flying.
Last edited by zeezee; Nov 07, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:03 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Champ, Champ, Champ!!! Not the sexiest choice, but you'll be flying with confidence long before the guy with THAT plane!

$100, and if you fly it over grass and crash, just pick it up and fly again. I used to recommend the Super Cub, but when you crash it, you usually go home, glue, wait a day, then try again.

With the Champ you will get probably three to four times the stick time per hour of any other plane; and stick time is what learning radio control planes is all about.

Good luck with whatever your decision.
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:10 AM
Joined Apr 2011
22 Posts
Hey thanks for the replies. Right now I think I'll buy the super cub but the champ sure looks good too.
But at the store I'll buy the super cub (if i buy it) there is a "4 channel DSMX-radio" included in the rtf.is that okay too?
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:36 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Yes, if you get the S.Cub get the one with Spektrum 2.4 tech and the DX4, preferably DX5 radio. Getting a 5 channel radio will let you fly alot of different airplanes, up to 5 channels. That would allow you to have a plane with retracts or flaps. Get yourself 3 batteries if you can, and a good charger, you will be glad you did, and if you plan on flying from a grass field, get yourself a couple 2 3/4" liteweight Dubro spoke wheels to replace the tiny stock ones. I did and they made a world of difference taking off and landing in grass. Have fun, Dave.....hot glue, packing tape and a couple extra props can save the day! ;