SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2015, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavisUSMC View Post
OK... thanks.... so maybe a Zippy compact 4000...or compact 3600. I'm gonna check the weights. I figured 30c or better would be safe for wide open throttle on this setup.
Ya I typically like the higher C-rated batteries both for performance and....most of the time...easier on the LiPo!!

Also the thread regarding this hop up here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2343893

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC
Trees Are Stupid
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2013
4,389 Posts
Thanks TG....read the whole thing. Wish he had tried the 580kv with the shim mod and had a mph result. Looks like there's nothing to gain on the beefier motor unless running 5s or 6s over a stock motor except longevity. It's sure looks good on the second video with the 5s and shim mod together. Looks faster than the 6s without the mod.
BeavisUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC
Old May 27, 2015, 09:58 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
4,389 Posts
The Zippy Compact 3700mah 4s is 411 grams....the Admiral 3600mah is only 380grams Wasn't really trying to save space...these birds got plenty of that. Just thought the Compact would be lighter. I guess at $33 vs $48....still decent deal.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by UT Raptor
United States, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2004
35 Posts
I have a few Admiral 3600 and also a zippy compact 3700, the zippy is bigger but fits fine and flies great
UT Raptor is online now Find More Posts by UT Raptor
Old May 27, 2015, 10:26 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
4,389 Posts
Just thinking of the 4s trade off of weight vs. flight times and performance. It looks like everything is around 400 grams at the 40c 3600mah range. Which is a really well suited battery....maybe you could shave some buy keeping the mah but going with a lower c rating...20 or 30 grams. Not sure if you'd invite trouble running a shim mod on a 580kv by going with a 30 or 35c rated lipo.

It's the old law of diminishing returns and you can't get something for nothing. A straight shaft and well balanced prop....maybe wax the nose cone

Has anyone with the 580kv found a way to keep it running cooler with this bird? You know I'm gonna want to fly it hard
Old May 27, 2015, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Joined May 2012
269 Posts
Has anyone tried the prop as a 2-blade? I love the way the 4 blade looks, but a 14x8 4 bladed prop is a big prop. It's inherently not something an electric motor wants to spin fast. But it seems to me that the prop hub won't care if two blades are absent. And a 2 bladed prop will spin faster at a lower current than the 4 blade. The thrust goes down but the top speed goes up. But I think the Mustang has thrust to spare.

I don't know how accurate eCalc is from an absolute standpoint, but for relative comparisons it ought to be pretty good. If I change the 14x8x4 to a 14x8x2 using the FMS 540KV motor on 4S, eCalc predicts Amps dropping by about 33%, thrust dropping by about 20%, but RPMs and top speed going up by about 10%...

Maybe I can shim two of the blades to zero pitch and keep the 4-blade look while getting some higher RPMs. I did just order a spare spinner and prop blade set...
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old May 27, 2015, 11:17 PM
Trees Are Stupid
Joined Sep 2013
4,389 Posts
Or you could just get a bigger 2 blade.... and really have fun
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by mikmarsh
Los Angeles
Joined May 2008
5 Posts
Still waiting for gear reinforcements
mikmarsh is online now Find More Posts by mikmarsh
Old Today, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by wrongroad
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
883 Posts
G'day Beavis,
Mate for what it is worth, I have no trouble at all with heat when running my 580 kv gold motors. I thought things got hotter with the 540 to be honest.
I always wait twenty minutes or so between flights with the canopy off and the model in the shade.
One day, last summer, it topped 42*C and the motor. ESC and battery were just warm after six minutes.
Last Sunday with the same set up, with the ambient temp about 8*C, the power train felt about same to my touch.
Now remember this is to my touch and not with a gauge. Also factor in memory loss and tactile loss
This is flying with mixed throttle but at least 80% wot.
I would keep a check on the bearings but I have not replaced any in the latest gold units but the purple ones have had issues.
Of course now that I have enough bearings to replace all the bearings in all the 500/540/580 motors, none of them have or will fail
Regards and respect
Daryl
wrongroad is offline Find More Posts by wrongroad