Old Apr 10, 2015, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by fnnwizard
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,438 Posts
Discussion
Optimus F3J?

I got an opportunity to tryout a new model and I'm excited. First impression is that finish quality is just excellent. Also, a lot has been done on the model and it's really a simple install of the radio gear. The wing control horns are all preinstalled and done right I might add .

No time now to write anything else, but as expected, I'll be filling in with more details (.... maybe much more ). I did manage to get top and bottom pics before the sun set yesterday.

Update with more when I get back into town.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2015, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by ak79
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,813 Posts
Looks like you found a new thrower! Did I lose my job? LOL
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by pigly
PaulG
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2004
336 Posts
Maxaesque

Don't you think? Pod looks identical and general layout, maybe details differ, certainly the ailerons don't seem to go right out to the tips.
pigly is offline Find More Posts by pigly
Old Apr 10, 2015, 04:26 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigly View Post
Don't you think? Pod looks identical and general layout, maybe details differ, certainly the ailerons don't seem to go right out to the tips.
Definitely. It's a cross between a Supra and Xplorer for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Looks like you found a new thrower! Did I lose my job? LOL
I wish I could get them more interested in model aviation. She almost gave me a heart attack when she picked the model over her head like that. Out of the blue she was like, daddy, do I look like you?

This is about as close as I can get the other one to get interested in aviation ...
Old Apr 11, 2015, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by Avaldes
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,659 Posts
Nice looking model Tuan. Who makes it?
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Apr 11, 2015, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Joined Jul 2012
70 Posts
CN Models in Ukraine make them. Very high quality.

The fuselage pod does look like a Maxa but the wing pylon differs considerably and is better executed in my opinion. The tail end is similar to the original Maxa AMT design.

The wing is very different from a Maxa. The airfoils are different, the planform is different and the wing tips are different. The wing is a completely original design from CN Models aerodynamicist Sergii Petrenko. The airfoils designed for the Optimus give a very good all round performance much like the Xplorer2 does. Good in light air but also good distance performance in stronger winds and/or active conditions.

Hope that clarifies a few things
Neil Jones is offline Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by lesterpk
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
958 Posts
Manufacturers site here
http://cn-models.com/?page_id=316
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by soarerf3j
Fish can fly too...
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Definitely. It's a cross between a Supra and Xplorer for sure.
Good thing: choice of prototypes was great so good flying performances were predetermined.
soarerf3j is offline Find More Posts by soarerf3j
Last edited by soarerf3j; Apr 14, 2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 01:02 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,438 Posts
Ok, so while I am waiting for the epoxy to dry, figured I'd update with the before and after mass.

The build was super simple. Most of the hardest things are done for you including
Wing wiring harness installed.
Wing surface control horns installed.

I'm always leery of preinstalled horns, but have to say CN-Models did them right. The ail, being just 7mm long is a bit on the short side for my taste, but seeing they wanted to get that assembly under the skin, it might be worth it.

I didn't get a chance to take a lot of pics. Just a few, will get to them when I have time. Right now, priority one is getting it done for maiden tomorrow and contest this weekend! Sounds easy enough, but try building while having a full blown case of pneumonia symptoms !
Old Apr 16, 2015, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by ak79
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,813 Posts
First Optimus to ever fly in North America, pretty rough air today with lots of violent rollers coming through. I'm sure Tuan will give a report.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:41 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,438 Posts
She's a keeper!
My Optimus is a light version and came with 9oz of ballast. It definitely survived this weekend's Central CA J's brisk conditions. Being ballasted at a max of 70 oz was a bit of a handicap in the afternoon rounds but manufacturer specs for the light layup suggests if one needs more than 9oz bllast, it is probably best to go heavier layup.

The plane's response in roll is amazing. I am running just +- 16 degrees ail with 7 flaps.
ele was maxed whatever the slot for the connecting pin allowed. Rudder just +-25.

The stab to me seems huge, biggest stab volume of any plane I've ever flown at .47. And it showed in landing. I was varying my curves at 1% at a time and it was very evident the changes. I eventually had to expo'd it way down to tame ele.

I'll have to remeasure to get a true cg location, but whereever I am currently at, she's pretty tame.

Ill post pics tonight and get towhook position.

I'll say it will hang with the best of them out there and with a heavier layup, should conplete my quiver for 2015!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Joined Jul 2012
70 Posts
Great news Tuan.

Optimus has just placed 3rd in the first Italian F3j Eurotour event of the year and also took 2nd place in the first British national team qualification event for next years worlds in Slovenia.
Neil Jones is offline Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:40 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Jones View Post
Great news Tuan.

Optimus has just placed 3rd in the first Italian F3j Eurotour event of the year and also took 2nd place in the first British national team qualification event for next years worlds in Slovenia.
Yeah, Optimus should have done better at Central CA J even with my thumbs. It had launch before the horn in R2 of finals and a relaunch line break and finally 3rd launch for a 13+ min flight.
On the last round, the wind picked up quite a bit and I thought since I wasn't really in contention anymore, I didn't want to risk landing out and damaging her by following the group far downwind and try to hang in the wind.

I did this because on the previous 3rd round flight it took me almost 5 minutes in reflex mode to get home and even then, loss quite a bit of altitude where I had to find a light thermal to complete the round.

I don't know if I could have done any better with another model, especially given the very short time with her. I'm very happy with the Optimus... though I think the name could be improved upon .
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by ak79
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,813 Posts
Just wait for the prime version.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2015, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by ElectricRick