New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
Discussion
Large Fans..Huge performance 100mm fan, 20lbs thrust, 336mph efflux. Video pst #157

I've had some intresting performance results by cramming over sized motors into and running huge power through some smaller fans (40mm through 90mm so far) . A 50mm fan running at 2.3kw, a 90mm running at up to 6kw.

This isn't an effort towards efficiency, it's an experiment in big performance through a large fan on a budget. I'll depend on better battery technology to eventually give these monster fans the flight times that we all crave. For now I'll just have to be happy with the performance, and be hopeful of future flight times.

Thanks to Amazon, I've found some great deals on Leopard Hobby motors, particularly some inrunners. The prices are similar to what you might expect from Turnigy, but the motors appear to be higher quality. Still working on that.

So, what's a big motor for a 100mm through 127mm fan? Most motors in these fans will weigh 16oz to maybe 22oz. The Leopard 5698 series weigh more like 33oz, but are narrow enough that they will not interrupt smooth airflow through the fan.

I'm just getting started with this and have several sizes and power levels in mind for various projects that i have. So I may jump around a bit, but will be working mainly with fans 100mm thru 127mm.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Mar 29, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,149 Posts
is that a hoaye or a vio fan rotor? cant tell from the side. spinner seems like a vio
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,149 Posts
ps....thats a freakin massive motor dude!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:37 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
is that a hoaye or a vio fan rotor? cant tell from the side. spinner seems like a vio
That's an old Viofan rotor. I also have a Ramtech, Dynamax, Turbax, and various Haoye rotors. Also have a JF-120 that will be here tomorrow. So I have the toys neded to build a strong 120mm or 127mm fan. It will probably be a 120mm.

I'm looking to max out power with 14s at about 200a for 10kw. I'll have a 5698-730kv here for the weekend. I think it will about right for big power. They also have a 600kv and a 540kv for tamer numbers, or higher voltage.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:43 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
Early tests indicated that this motor will be able to handle massive power, and being an iinrunner with an 8mm shaft it's a piece of cake to set up.

A custom bolt-in center body for the Ramtech, Dynamax, or Turbax would make an awesome fan that could be just bolted together.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,578 Posts
You remind me of Bill Paxon's character in Twister.

He too was dubbed the " The Extreme. "
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:23 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
Hey, the stuff is out there, and the prices keep dropping. Someone just has to put the right parts combos together. A 10kw fan at less than $400 for the fan/motor/esc. Something like that is my goal. I have a few big jets that need power systems, so there's the motivation.

I'm thinking the main character from "Home Improvement " .........."Too much power is almost enough"
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by buckaroo
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
674 Posts
Subbed. Its always fun when Lee starts to tinkering.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:04 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
Thanks Dean. Even better if I stumble on to something. LOL

I have an old CARF Euro Sport, 2 Hot Spots, and a BVM Bandit sized scratch build that all need power. So we'll see what develops.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,578 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking the main character from "Home Improvement " .........."Too much power is almost enough"

Nothing wrong with that!.. ....
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 12, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by erh7771
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
I have both rotors the Haoye 115 and the VIO Fan 115...

very similar blade pitch, very similar blade root, blade angle, blade tip, rotor circumference and diameter, hub circumference and diameter

I'm waiting on the fabbed motor mounts for the Haoye fan unit, the weak point in the shroud.. I've got a number of NEU motors I'm going to compare performance with the Viofan that I have
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Mar 12, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:00 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
Cool. Jump in any time with data. I can always get back and bring it all together in an early post. The more data the better.

What kind of motor mount have you designed for the Haoye shroud?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by erh7771
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,228 Posts
I've got those motor, Leopard and Leopards maker sent one to me a 3 months ago.

I tested it in the Haoye shroud that has a 58mm can holder from factory

The haoye shroud with the 58mm can holder has the EXACT number of stators that the Dynamax has... EXACT (pitch and angle match too) but with the variant of

- 2mm larger ID which makes it too big for a Dynamax rotor... but it's a decent fit for the haoye 127mm rotor... not a HUGE deal but there's no doubt a 1mm shroud wall gap..
- It's not FRP, I'd be putting them out by now if they were
- Mount tabs have to be glued to the sizes of the non FRP shroud... not huge but a consideration

I tested that shroud with the 58mm can holder and a 56\82 motor 560kv and with the haoye 127mm 7 blade rotor ...

14.4lbs \ 100 amps \ 12s ~ 4400 watts... I was expecting more static thrust... but that's EXACTLY on par with the 560kv Scorpion motor

BUT I didn't test efflux or change timing settings for the ESC which was a YEP 120

What I did notice was the air after 4 feet was really sKrong (literally pinned me into the door)... most likely because of the air being straitened with the large number of stators... which would make that fan shroud great for longer thrust tubes .... which I'm not a fan (pun intended) of... I'd rather have the shortest thrust tube available and put the batteries near the front of the aircraft... and use HV

I'm still thinking for bigger fans outrunners would do... I have a source for 5035 big 6 - 12 pole outrunners with standoffs and mounts that is relatively inexpensive

Knife, i've pm'd you my number
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by MarkF
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,176 Posts
You guys should be looking at TP Power motors. There better than leopard and they make many different sizes and kv. They are also working on making there larger motors into 8 pole motors.

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:38 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,192 Posts
I'll check it out