Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by LaserSVT
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
Discussion
Storm Racing Drone

Hello boys and girls! Been a long time since I was on here. Used to be a regular when I had all my Blade series of toys. Nano QX, Micro SR, SR120 and some larger birds.
Due to deaths in the family and starting my own business I just didn't have time any more and got out of it. The bug has bitten again though.
Well I was about to order a Bebop but a friend showed me the Storm Racing Drone and I just had to have it. It has everything I wanted in a smaller quad.
I see its already fairly overpowered so I am not worried about performance upgrades but I would like the best transmission range I can get. It comes with a 200mw 5.8ghz Tx and I ordered a Lilliput 694 monitor with a 5.8ghz Rx.
I was curious on whats the best antennas to get. There are just so many cloverleaf versions out there that I did not want to order a crappy one.

Also whats the best source for the shorter 1500+MAH 3S batteries with the XT60 plugs? The quad comes with one and I ordered two more Tennergy versions but they are only 20C and I would like some more kick, maybe 30C or better.

Lastly, anyone here play with one yet and if so what are your impressions on it?
LaserSVT is offline Find More Posts by LaserSVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:33 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
Nevermind. Found some 35C batteries that are the same size. Also had a fee gift certificate from newegg so i got a free set of their $15 Cloverleaf antennas.

And here is my impression of the quad. it freakin rocks! Only got three flights in due to only having one battery but i enjoyed every second of them!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 01:23 AM
Find More Posts by bigbird327
Joined Sep 2014
238 Posts
Cool, I was thinking about the Storm racing quad myself.
Glad you like it.

What's the build quality like?

For antennas, go with iBcrazy, he's in front by a long way from what I noticed lately.

http://videoaerialsystems.com/blubeam-ultra/
http://videoaerialsystems.com/products/bluebeam/
http://videoaerialsystems.com/airblade/

They can be found at http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...&cPath=165_108

Airblade LHCP antenna overview revised (3 min 21 sec)

Interference testing RHCP VS LHCP (14 min 28 sec)
bigbird327 is offline Find More Posts by bigbird327
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:35 AM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
I am very impressed with the build quality. Then again i dont have much experience. All my stuff was Blade series. I did have a couple 450 class 3D Helis from bananahobby but I hate that place with all my heart and this is a far better product.

I have 5 friends ordering the Storm now after seeing mine.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by juniorashe
Joined Dec 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
I am very impressed with the build quality. Then again i dont have much experience. All my stuff was Blade series. I did have a couple 450 class 3D Helis from bananahobby but I hate that place with all my heart and this is a far better product.

I have 5 friends ordering the Storm now after seeing mine.
Hi LaserSVT,
I just ordered one of these and I hope I am not mad as it is my first Quad. Is there anything you think I need, I ordered a Storm Racing quod with a Lilliput FPV 345 with extra blades. I have ordered a HD camera and extra batteries from Hobbyking. I see you have gone for stronger Antenna. Is there a big difference with the distance. Is there anything I should know or any recommendations I should do before I power this up. I have read at length and watched everyone going on it. But I would be happy for your help. J
juniorashe is offline Find More Posts by juniorashe
Old Dec 20, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2014
6 Posts
I also got extra batteries from here. http://www.banggood.com/ZOP-Power-11...-p-961321.html
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:54 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
I bought 4 extra 35C 1500mah batteries from ebay. I submitted a $13 each offer and he accepted.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271712981588...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The stock battery and charger is not that great. I have an Imax B6AC on the way as well. The battery just does not discharge evenly and that freaks the charger out. No biggie as once the new stuff gets here I wont ever use them again.

Extra blades are a MUST. I flew 8 times without issue. Today I did my first ever FPV flight and kissed a limb. Down she went. Was going fast and about 12' up so only breaking two props aint a bad thing IMHO.
I also think the battery buzzer is a good idea. First flight without it almost ended in tragedy. Now it warns me at 3.4 and thats enough time to get her down safely.

As for video distance, not really sure. At about 400' I got a little fuzz but the wether is terrible and I was stuck next to a Direct TV dish as thats where the outside plug was since i dont have the monitors battery yet.
I ordered some cloverleaf antennas from newegg because Helipal reports a nice gain with that style and they were free due to newegg owing me money.

I would also getting the 30mm posts for the feet if you take off from grass. The stock 1/2" feet are just a bit short. LOL

Juniorashe, thanks for the link. Please report back if you like them. At that price I will buy a few more.

As a whole though I absolutly love this thing. After i type this iam replacing the props and going for a last flight.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 07:47 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
Test flight went excellent. I love flying this thing at night. Buddy watching me asked how high it could go and like an idiot I just goosed the throttle. 7 seconds latter it was invisible. At least its stable like a rock in 8 mph winds because just backing off for decent I could see it was only 20' off of where it rose from.
Not sure how high it went as we seem to have fog at about 200'.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 04:07 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
Kite eating tree = 1
Storm drone = 0

22mph gusts and a 40' tree do not equal fun. Quad was stuck on the top of the tree too. Fortunately I live in a Hispanic neighborhood and my neighbor knew just how to get it down since a ladder couldnt be used. I suck at sports but i made damn sure to catch it after it was dislodged. LOL

I am running out of spare props.

Funny thing is the flight before the cop that usually runs the speed trap up the road came over to tell me he clocked me doing 37 in a 30. We laughed about it and I gave him the info on where to get one. We exchanged info so that we can fly together when his shows up. LMAO
Old Dec 21, 2014, 08:15 PM View Post
Wernerdes
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2014
6 Posts
I got mine today and spent most of the day setting it up. I tried to fly it once in my back garden. Like a right tool I put the props on the wrong way and couldn't understand why it would not fly. After that I got her up a few feet but I think my Devo 7 settings are a little off. I need time to sort out the rudder settings. She flys forward on lift off and then is not stable in the air. It might be the batt being to far forward but it looks like the trim needs sorted. Did you find you had to play around with it to get it to fly right?
Last edited by juniorashe; Dec 22, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:35 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
Nope. Mine was rock solid out of the box. Flew it in 25mph winds today and was still easy to control.
My FPV is what needs practice though. Still waiting on the monitors battery. At least my spare batteries and decent charger showed!
Now I can start having some real fun! Get rid of that crap battery it came with and enjoy some flight time! Happy happy!

Old Dec 23, 2014, 05:59 PM
Find More Posts by popeye4th
United Kingdom, England, Bradford
Joined Dec 2014
40 Posts
Hi laser just got mine but am new to it all. How do I do channels and stuff I haven't got a clue for some reason my fpv is not working no more after I had a crash. What channel do I put it on cheers
popeye4th is offline Find More Posts by popeye4th
Old Dec 23, 2014, 06:11 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
1,338 Posts
If your FPV is not working after a crash then you must have broken something or knocked a connector loose. It wont change channels due to a crash. You can always check though. Not sure what default was but mine is set at 5740. Just remove the zip tie on the vTx and see what its set for and look at the dip switches on your monitor and see what they are set to just to make sure one of the dip switches on the vTx didn't get jarred to a different position.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by DbleX
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
622 Posts
I'm sorry, but I am Hispanic and trying to understand how getting it out of a tree relates to the people living in your neighborhood?

Are you saying no one else can think outside of the box?
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX