SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by gupi
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
887 Posts
I've had good success using heavier than normal printer paper (can be as stiff as your printer can handle) and then fix only the top, left and right borders of the tissue to the paper using glue stick. It sticks just enough to make no wrinkles while printing and makes it much easier to remove afterwards.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Lnagel
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,384 Posts
This is my Fokker D.VIII. I first covered the fuselage with white CoverLite to add opacity. I then used regular lacquer to adhere the printed silkspan tissue to the CoverLite.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 22, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Hugh Shiel
United Kingdom, Nottingham
Joined Dec 2013
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
This is my Fokker D.VIII. I first covered the fuselage with white CoverLite to add opacity. I then used regular lacquer to adhere the printed silkspan tissue to the CoverLite.

Larry
thanks so much you guys, here are a couple of pics of work in progress, off to model shop tomorrow to get some tissue!!
Hugh Shiel is offline Find More Posts by Hugh Shiel
Last edited by Hugh Shiel; Feb 23, 2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,597 Posts
Epilot posted a Lozenge Generator at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2352673

Great idea - he created a layered CAD file so one can scale it as needed.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:06 AM
Joined Dec 2013
30 Posts
OMG!!!!
Well the local Model Shop only had one sheet left of the thicker tissue so could only produce the 5 sheets of A4 required with no room for error.
As suggested used Glue stick just round edges and carefully smoothed the tissue out. Printed absolutely perfectly, no wrinkles or bleeds and tissue separated from the backing paper just fine. On placing the tissue on the model I have discovered there is no need to spray the back of it as the red monocote already on the model darkens it lovely and it is opaque enough...chuffed!!! I'll post some pics tonight, thanks guys you're all brill
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:53 AM
Joined Dec 2013
30 Posts
Hi guys, well completed lozenge pattern over weekend. Overall I am happy with the results but a couple of learning points for others...
I should of spray painted a light colour onto the existing monocote as the end result is a bit red. Although glue stick was the way to go for printing the tissue it bled through the tissue causing discolouration when used to attach the tissue to the wing surface.
I applied the thinned dope and thoroughly dried it before adding the rib tapes.
These were made by printing onto solatex and then cutting thin strips.
Thanks guys for your help on here.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by bshultz327
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
328 Posts
Hey Hugh,
Actually I don't think the red underneath looks as bad as you might. I know we can tend to be our own worst critics after looking at our projects for hours already. But anyway, a darker color underneath is probably needed anyway to give it a good base and not be too bright. but it's all in the eye of the beholder right! So, I think it looks good. Nice job.
Branden

P.S. I was surprised to hear you had problems with the glue stick. I have never had this. I suppose our printer inks could be different. But for what it's worth I use the UHU brand glue stick. goes on colored then dries clear. Good stuff.
bshultz327 is offline Find More Posts by bshultz327
Old Mar 04, 2015, 05:55 AM
Joined Dec 2013
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshultz327 View Post
Hey Hugh,
Actually I don't think the red underneath looks as bad as you might. I know we can tend to be our own worst critics after looking at our projects for hours already. But anyway, a darker color underneath is probably needed anyway to give it a good base and not be too bright. but it's all in the eye of the beholder right! So, I think it looks good. Nice job.
Branden

P.S. I was surprised to hear you had problems with the glue stick. I have never had this. I suppose our printer inks could be different. But for what it's worth I use the UHU brand glue stick. goes on colored then dries clear. Good stuff.
Thanks for your kind comments Brandon.
It was strange.. the bit of glue stick I used on the backing paper to print caused no issues but when I used it to stick the tissue to the plane a lot of discolouration occured which then shows through even more since I applied the dope. But like I say, I'm happy with the overall appearance, never intended it to be display model or a scale conpetition piece, just wanted to get a 'stand off scale' look about it
Cheers,
Hughie