SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by ktm500mx
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
230 Posts
Mt laurel myc

this weekend is opening weekend at MT Laurel for the Ec12's for laughs and giggles I am going to bring my piranha 2000 a see if the guy's in the 12's
can keep up. she is a light air demon perfect for MT Laurel.
hope you are coming Mike.
thx Mike

ktm500mx is online now Find More Posts by ktm500mx
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:29 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
799 Posts
Toad Refurb

Good points Breakwater. I have a Bantok fin (thanks!) and trunk to install so I should use the bulb. I think I measured 14.5 inches from the bottom of the hull to the top of the bulb. Any chance you could verify that for me?

I might trim the stern for a reverse transom so I can install a G-10 deck. Haven't decided yet.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,624 Posts
The one I've got has an 11" fin from the bottom of the boat to the top of the lead.

14.5" sounds like it's in the zone, but probably on the edge of it?. It seems like you can take a few inches off, or add a couple to a boats "OEM" keel without disturbing things too much.

Badaka has a Starkers he shaved 2" off of the keel to accommodate the local pond, and it goes great.

Oh, and the fin will have a lot to do with area. I'll measure the square area of the fin later-
I think if you were to use a deeper fin with the same areas, it should be fine. But if you went for a super narrow
Chord fin and real deep, it would mess things up.

The Toad is a good boat. No sense in making it into something it's not.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Last edited by breakwater; Apr 21, 2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,608 Posts
Ahhhh what wonderful weather here today! NOT ..... 23 degrees (wind chill), 30 - 35 mph winds from northwest and enough snow flurries you can see them blowing down the road in patches. So much for interest in working in garage or thinking of sailing. Someday Spring will arrive - and stick around. Remodeling bathroom and don't even feel like working on that.

Those of you who have nice weather - enjoy it.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:49 AM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx View Post
this weekend is opening weekend at MT Laurel for the Ec12's for laughs and giggles I am going to bring my piranha 2000 a see if the guy's in the 12's
can keep up. she is a light air demon perfect for MT Laurel.
hope you are coming Mike.
thx Mike

I'll be there. Set up 9:00, first race 10:00. I might bring my M. I've been itching to get it wet. Laughs and giggles? Geez you'll be through the course and waiting for the rest the fleet to get to the weather mark.
Last edited by Mike Denest; Apr 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by TedFlack
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Ahhhh what wonderful weather here today! NOT ..... 23 degrees (wind chill), 30 - 35 mph winds from northwest and enough snow flurries you can see them blowing down the road in patches. So much for interest in working in garage or thinking of sailing. Someday Spring will arrive - and stick around. Remodeling bathroom and don't even feel like working on that.

Those of you who have nice weather - enjoy it.
Sorry to mention this Dick but when we were younger the cold weather didn't stop us, now I use it as an excuse to do nothing because I'm not in the mood because the weather is ugly.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:14 AM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
799 Posts
Toad Refurb

I found my answer in post #2060. I measured 14 inches from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the bulb.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by Gregg28
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,105 Posts
Lighter and deeper (to a point) is always faster. The Toad, being somewhat voluminous will carry the extra depth, no problem. Being a pound or so light will not hurt. It will float a little high, but not much. It will pick up that waterline as soon as it starts moving. I would not cut down the fin at all, and I would use the light bulb.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Apr 21, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Loose Footed
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
BW
Thank you for the info and you are welcome to add it to your album.
The winch servo motor appears to be frozen, one of the micro switches broken, something to tinker with for the time being.
I will order a 96 inch mast from Larry. I’m albeit confused as to the length of size and length of booms and crane to order from Midwest. Will their goosenecks work with Larry’s airfoil mast? Will the mast require speaders and if so what length? (Just putting together my shopping list)
A have attached an aft hull belly photo as requested. Sadly, the chine is as defined as my abs.
Thanks again and Cheers
Loose Footed is offline Find More Posts by Loose Footed
Old Apr 21, 2015, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,624 Posts
Congrats Loose Footed!

This specimen looks to be another Toad! Lol! Good timing!

I'll put together a shopping list of parts and dimensions for you in a bit.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Apr 21, 2015, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by Loose Footed
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
The "Fat Toad" says Thanks
Loose Footed is offline Find More Posts by Loose Footed
Old Apr 21, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by slotracer577
Joined Jan 2006
668 Posts
I know standley always said short keel with a heavy bulb in light air. Here in co the best setup was a light bulb (iom) with a 20-22" keel. There is a point of diminishing returns on keel depth, at some point the extra depth is negated by the increased drag from the extra fin.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Sorry to mention this Dick but when we were younger the cold weather didn't stop us, now I use it as an excuse to do nothing because I'm not in the mood because the weather is ugly.
Gee - thanks for that reminder Ted, and for bringing me back to reality. Well it's about 7:00 PM and I can say my day was a complete success...... I accomplished nothing!
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 07:58 AM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Footed View Post
BW
The winch servo motor appears to be frozen, one of the micro switches broken, something to tinker with for the time being.
If all else fails, take a look at this winch. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=42642

Reports are that it can pull stumps with ease. It says programmable but you will need a transmitter that can set servo travel limits.