HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2008, 03:06 AM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
Question
The 'Big Deal' factor

Is it possible that an RC airplane can be so big, so technically demanding, and so expensive that it defeats its own purpose?

The purpose, of coarse, is to have fun. Probably.

Ron
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 11:38 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,776 Posts
Hi Ron,
Yep, at least I think so. A perfect example is Matt Halton's pusher F-14. I built it as a pusher and fixed the wings in the forward position and really enjoyed flying it. But an F-14 just isn't right unless you can hit the switch and sweep the wings back. So I went from a two servo taileron only relatively simple jet to adding two additional servos to swing the wings. Four servos ment I had to switch over to a UBEC instead of the built in BEC on the ESC. I also had to add a wing swing controller to swing the wings correctly. I also lost interst in pushers and wanted to convert it over to EDF. Did I mention there wasn't a lot of room in the fuselage at this size? Things just got so complicated I lost interest in the plane. More fun to be had elsewhere.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Last edited by eatond; Oct 01, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:00 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
I think that sometimes when you start a new model or project, you always try and add something extra to obtain more of a challange or new dimension. There are guys out there that just like to fly, but others like the whole 9 yards which includes the technical challange that an EDF can provide.

As EDF systems become more reliable, then other challanges in the airframe are sought, such as sequencing gear doors, wing sweep, opening canopy etc. Its a big temptation and a trap I ALWAYS fall into.

Messing with a complex model is OK, so long as you have "Old reliable, always fun, always works" jet in the boot so you dont waste a trip to the field.

Funnily enough, I know where you might be able to get a jet like that
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:02 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts

Different people have different notions of "fun" ...

Internet flying, a debate on the best way to spread hysol, or endless discussions on improbable aerodynamic issues, can be fun to some.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:05 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
That's what's so good about foamies, IMHO - cheap (relatively speaking) usually ARF or RTF, lately some look pretty scale, fun to fly, can be made to go pretty fast too.

I find if I've spent countless hours on building, lots of expense, lots of complexity, it definitely takes the fun out of flying the thing. My planes like that tend to be "hangar queens". Even if I do fly them, they inevitable get dinged, etc. Makes ya wonder -
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb

Different people have different notions of "fun" ...

Internet flying, a debate on the best way to spread hysol, or endless discussions on improbable aerodynamic issues, can be fun to some.
yep, its all good Sometimes you just need to get your head somewhere else, we live in a world that tends to need that a lot more than it did.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:31 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,265 Posts
For me its about if the plane is too expensive to crash.

I know I will crash, so what is the replacement cost going to be. If its too much then its too expensive.

So if I have to worry about crashing it as I fly it, then the joy of flying it is very little.

My JHH F-86 taught me that I'm right at the edge of enjoyment versus crash cost with that size jet.

One thing I have noticed in my last 2 crashes is that the cost of a bad crash has gone up significanly because the Li-poly cells are so fragile. The li-poly cells I lost in my Jepe A4 cost more than the plane and I was able to fix the plane.

Internet flying is much cheaper
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Oct 01, 2008, 02:34 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,259 Posts
i think what WW and KEN said just about sum it up. in the 80's i had several JHH jet. each one i had @$1,000 in the air frame and equip. and a year of building ...it really hurt to crash one ...to the point i was a nervous wreck on the way to fly them....i mean it was fun until the frist one went down
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 01, 2008, 03:16 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
That is part of why i still want to design 70 mm jets....and make better fans for those as well.
Claus at area 52 the home of T-33 and mirage 2000....and not to forget the Draken.
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Oct 01, 2008, 03:36 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
That's why I build mostly 42-48" span models. The big ones sure look realistic in flight, right down to the realistic, expensive crashes!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 01, 2008, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
Messing with a complex model is OK, so long as you have "Old reliable, always fun, always works" jet in the boot so you dont waste a trip to the field.

Funnily enough, I know where you might be able to get a jet like that

Yeah, that's it - Old Reliable in the boot. A guy needs a warm-up airplane in my humble opinion. Some days you just can't 'be the airplane'. Sometimes you're that shakey guy with the box in his hands.

WW - Very cryptic of you old bean, pray tell, to what do you refer??

Ron
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
Old Oct 01, 2008, 03:43 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pogue
Is it possible that an RC airplane can be so big, so technically demanding, and so expensive that it defeats its own purpose?
Ron
The expensive part is relative.. Some can afford the high priced fans, mtrs, esc's, kits, batt..yada.yada.. And the loss of them does not cause as great a mental collapse. Just a "wish that did not happen.." More power to them.

Technically demanding, is what some people crave. Modelers have diff levels. This is esp noticable in scale typs.

Size? Here's where I have a positive stand. When models get so big, that reynolds numbers start getting close to full size aircraft, they stop being models. And become miniature aircraft. The ability to create "models" that copy the real ones, in looks and flight and can still be carried in the house.. Well those are "models".

On another note: (and I know some have witnessed this) Is a few giant scale 3-D flyers at the field, taking 2 hrs to assemble their planes, set of the safety restraints, start the engines, make a flight, (gagging all the others with the smoke systems) the reverse the process. A nice 5 yr day at the field!

Just my 1buck 2.85

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 01, 2008, 04:36 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:

The purpose, of coarse, is to have fun. Probably.

Ron
Of course but that line is gonna be different for everyone. JB's DC-9 is certainly near one end of the scale (sic) but he's still enjoying the building hopefully as much as we are all enjoying watching it.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Oct 01, 2008, 05:02 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,455 Posts
JB's DC-9 is a work of art! Something I would not undertake for myself. I could never get myself to fly it. I would have to sell it to recoupe some of my sanity. Or get someone else to fly it, while I'm nervously barfing in the bushes. There is definetly a diff line/diff people.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 01, 2008, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, that's it - Old Reliable in the boot. A guy needs a warm-up airplane in my humble opinion. Some days you just can't 'be the airplane'. Sometimes you're that shakey guy with the box in his hands.

WW - Very cryptic of you old bean, pray tell, to what do you refer??

Ron
You mean a good, reliable, always fun, never bites (unless you are really stupid), confidence building, makes you look like a better pilot than you actually are (I hope ) sort of jet?

Hmmmm.. now. I would have to think what that might be