HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:22 PM
no catchy phrase
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2013
200 Posts
Yippee!
maiden flight

I maiden my hobby zone cub today! Its only 37 degrees out, but sunny with a little bit of wind. I forgot to set the timer on my first flight so I don't know how long it was, but I did about 4 passes with touch and goes. Then I swapped out the battery and set the timer for a 6 min flight. No wrecks or crashes! I have to say the difference in size from my other planes really made a difference with the wind knocking the plane around……….but man was it a blast! Time to go charge the batteries and get back out there!

One quick question, any one have a good way of centering out the control surfaces? I pretty much just eyeball it but I learned I adjustments were off. I might have to adjust the klevis and re trim. Any ideas?
rcplanenoob78 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanenoob78
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:58 PM
Jackass of many Trades
USA, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Feb 2007
254 Posts
Congratulations!
MichaUT is offline Find More Posts by MichaUT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Saws
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:18 AM
no catchy phrase
Joined Feb 2013
200 Posts
Thank you! I would just like to thank baby Jesus, my family, my first grade teacher……….. ok ok
in all seriousness it was great, I am ready to go again tomorrow weather permitting. It is way easier to fly when your not out matched and worrying about it becoming a lawn dart. I learned this after I tried flying my Corsair F4U by flyzone. I didn't crash her either, but I was puckered up the hole 5 min I was flying it. And hence I didn't really enjoy it as much.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:38 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
653 Posts
Regarding your question about centering. I'm not aware of any other way other than to eyeball it either as you have done and then the final test is the flight. You can have everything centered on the ground but the plane may require trim to fly straight and level and you only know that by flying so...you're doing it the only way I know to do it.
Seattlehiker is offline Find More Posts by Seattlehiker
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,050 Posts
Congrats!

Regarding control surface centering, when you do center them, do it with the tx and plane powered on and with the tx trims centered. (And get in the habit of having the prop removed when doing this. Have you see all the gore photos from people who didn't? ) Then adjust the pushrods/clevises to center the surfaces. Final trimming will have to be in flight to correct for all the unforseen wasps, torques, cg, and numerous other things that factor in. This way, you are less likely to run out of trim in any direction.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,697 Posts
Eyeballing works ok, but there is a method to get the control surface perfectly aligned with the trailing edge contour of the wing, horizontal stab., or vertical stab. This works with either a flat surface like a rudder or elevator or a tapered surface like a wing.

Disconnect your clevis and turn on your system (remove prop first, of course). This will put your servos in their neutral position. Adjust your trims on the radio to the center position.

Take two flat pieces of scrap wood about an inch wide and about 3 to 4 inches long. Place one on top of your surface and one on the bottom so that they lay across the control surface and up onto the wing or whichever surface you are doing. In other words the pieces of wood should be perpendicular to the control surface.

Now, take a clamp that will reach the hinge line and clamp the two pieces of wood to the wing. This works best on tapered surfaces if you have the small plastic clamps that have feet that swivel.

With a tapered or flat surface this will align your control surface with its matching surface. Now you can hold your clevis to the control horn and adjust it accordingly.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:06 PM
no catchy phrase
Joined Feb 2013
200 Posts
Ok thanks for the help guys. I have never done this with the power on as suggested for the very reason you mentioned about the prop, and yeah I have seen the pic of the guy who posted his own pic on here. Ok so take the prop off and adjust with power on, using 2 pieces of wood as guides. Thanks again for the well wishes and the info.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:30 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
If your model flies well after trimming for level flight, at around 1/2 throttle, you can mechanically adjust the clevises for the same control surface angles and return all trim settings to zero. You don't want to fly with trims sets to extremes and have no more available. You can also adjust control surfaces a small amount with the "sub-trim" settings for each channel on your transmitter if it has sub-trim feature Most models do not require great accuracy in setting of control surfaces and will require minor adjustment of trim settings for level flight at full throttle, 1/2 throttle, and slow slight. Full scale pilots use trims a lot for different flight conditions.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:21 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Your hooked! Great hobby isn't it!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:09 AM
no catchy phrase
Joined Feb 2013
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Your hooked! Great hobby isn't it!
Oh man your not kidding! In the past 2 years since getting back into it I have bought 4 planes……..LOL Only two of which I have flown or can actually fly. But they sure do look nice hanging on the wall!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:43 PM
Dazed and Confused
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2014
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanenoob78 View Post
Oh man your not kidding! In the past 2 years since getting back into it I have bought 4 planes……..LOL Only two of which I have flown or can actually fly. But they sure do look nice hanging on the wall!
4 planes in 2 years....Hell I'm up to 5, and just go back into the hobby with a plane that my daughter bought me for Christmas...

I've got the disease, real bad...

Congrats on your maiden with the Cub!

:cheers:
GeoRosCoe is offline Find More Posts by GeoRosCoe
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:19 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
I initially center all control surfaces by eye, then adjust trim from there until I get it flying the way I like. Then re-adjust clevises so I'm all centered on trim tabs. I want to have full trim adjustment if needed. Sounds like your off to a good start RC. There were times when I was a noob I was shaking, mostly when I was learning to fly a jet, but talk about a rush! Have fun and always remember to check everything over between flights, especially after rough landings..
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:21 AM
United States, NC, Davidson
Joined Feb 2012
154 Posts
Congrats on the Maiden! Sounds like you're hooked, like the rest of us.
CHSNative is offline Find More Posts by CHSNative
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:27 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,120 Posts
To make setting up servos easier, especially if building, buy a servo tester. You can also use it for checking the rotation direction of the motor before or after installation.

Something else I try to always do is hit the throttle cut switch OFF on the Tx when landed. Also make sure it is off before connecting the battery.

A very hot day if we got to 37 degrees, much nicer with mid 20s as we usually have here in summer.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Mar 29, 2014, 07:31 PM
no catchy phrase
Joined Feb 2013
200 Posts
Yeah, I am hooked to say the least. Funny thing is my wife doesn't mind me running off for a half hour here or there to go fly when the weather permits. The part she doesn't like is the fact I keep finding things I need or want, mostly more batteries. I pretty much have 2 for each plane right now. And I get about 7 min of flight time out of each battery (for the cub), I am wondering if I can push it to 8min? I usually fly at about 1/2 throttle and it seems i have enough batt left I could do 8 but I want to be sure before I try it.