HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2014, 11:14 AM
Turbo tuner
United States, UT, Bountiful
Joined Apr 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
I am very interested in the tweaking mod proposed by Turbodpv as per post 830. I have tried rotating the blades a bit to increase the pitch but to no avail and I am afraid of breaking them.

Turbodpv: any insights on how you proceeded would be very much appreciated.
Hi Speedy Gonzales,

I don't know which three blade prop you're trying to tweak. But, per my post #830, I was tweaking the pitch of the original 110mm X 80mm three blade prop that comes stock with the P-40. I no longer use that propeller since I've found the new UMX Corsair EFLUP112903B 112mm X 90mm prop to perform noticeably better. I don't tweak the props with these high output MMW-15 fast motor's. There's no need to with them.

However, if you want better speed out of your BravoSX combination and only have the old 110mm X 80mm three blade type props, you can boil some water in a cup in your microwave, then carefully dip a blade into the hot water for a few seconds and then lightly twist the blade to increase the pitch angle. I used one of my new 100mm X 100mm four blade props as my pitch guide to set the pitch angle against.

Don't go crazy with the pitch, you will only eat up the battery and lose thrust too. I highly recommend using the four blade prop as a pitch guide if you have some kicking around. They are already setup for 100mm pitch.

After the pitch tweaking mod I could stack a new original pitch 110mm X 80mm three blade prop on top of my pitch modified prop and easily see the increased pitch looking at the prop tip one above the other.

I noticed a nice speed increase by doing this on the old style three blade props before the UMX Corsair's new one's became available. I wouldn't try this on the new Corsair type prop since it is already setup for 90mm pitch anyway, and the MMW-15 motors already pull a lot of current.

Hope that helps some.

Turbo
turbodpv is offline Find More Posts by turbodpv
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 11:54 AM
Joined Nov 2012
132 Posts
This helps a lot, many thanks indeed. Yes I am using the old prop so I might very well experiment this trick. I do not have a four blade prop to compare with but might proceed with a "light hand" to avoid an extreme result.

A picture of the profile of your prop would be a very good guide too if you have time and patience to take one.
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; Dec 02, 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Second thoughts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:55 PM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
820 Posts
Nothing special here. It's just a rare day with almost no wind at all. 8:30 am so I got a couple of my RC little planes out for morning patrols. Had a great time.

I need to work on my landings as they are not so good. For the old days I would line up my model, cut the power and let it glide in for a soft landing. These were nitro planes. The little UM's and UMX's want some power I think?

ParkZone UMX P-40 Dawn Patrol (7 min 25 sec)

jack
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: December 18 UMX Flights