HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Discussion
81” Rockwell Aero Commander Twin by Blackhorse

Hi,

Although there is a thread at RCU, I couldn’t find out anything about this model here at RCGroups, so I decided to start a new thread.

Does anybody else have one of these Commanders ?

I just finished up a glow to electric conversion on this plane. Am hoping to do the maiden flight sometime this week.

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:16 AM
csna182
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Jun 2004
217 Posts
look foward to some build pics and finished pics keep us informed thanks art
csna182 is offline Find More Posts by csna182
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by csna182 View Post
look foward to some build pics and finished pics keep us informed thanks art
Hi Art,

I was surprised so few of them have been sold........could be the price.

What garbage weather here the past week or so. Rain or wind or both.

Just checked the weather forecast again. We are supposed to finally be getting a break tomorrow so it looks like the maiden will be made.

Joe M.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Nice weather today. Got the maiden flight in plus one extra flight.

A few clicks of up trim needed.......no left/right trim needed.

Noticed on the first flight takeoff I ran out of elevator. Those big trees sure came up fast.

Elevator was initially set to recommended setting, but I needed to double this setting for the second flight.

Retracts worked OK. Plenty of power with the EFlite Power 32’s.

Joe M.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Is this an ARF or a kit? Back in the 1950s Berkeley Models sold a kit that replicated the Air Force L26 variant, which was the very first "Air Force One!" Eisenhower used it.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
Is this an ARF or a kit? Back in the 1950s Berkeley Models sold a kit that replicated the Air Force L26 variant, which was the very first "Air Force One!" Eisenhower used it.
It's an ARF.

My original plan was to remove all of the covering and redo it like Bob Hoover's Shrike Commander which now sits in a museum. The complex graphics on Hoover's full-scale would have been very pricey to duplicate on an RC model, so I dropped the idea.

If you have ever seen Hoover's Commander it looks similar to a current NASCAR racer, meaning it's loaded with advertizing.

Joe M.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Hi Len,

Glad you could join us here. In answer to your questions from the other thread.........

The horizontal stab is built-up wood.......no aluminum tube. In fact almost all of the plane is built-up wood. It also has a nice big hatch cover on top with some powerful magnets.

The electric retracts are all EFlite. It took quite a lot of custom woodwork to get them to fit.

The nose gear is the 60-120 size but the main gear is the next size down. I couldn't get a set of rotating EFlites in the 60-120 size.

Here's a link to the 81" Commander instruction manual http://www.blackhorsemodel.com.vn/pr...Commander7.pdf

Joe M.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Aero commander

Thanks Joe. Manual link was very good. Lots of your pics would really help as the black and white manual photos really don't show the same a colour. On my larger models I have been mounting the elecvator servos in the tail when built up and that way I have a direct link to each elevator;. as per my attached photos. How thick is the horizontal stab near the fuse tail ? Another thing is I am not sure why they do not use flaps on a model of this size ? Also a removeable wing outboard of the motor nacelle would have been a bif bonus ?
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:09 AM
Chesterfield, MI USA
United States, MI, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
Hey Joe

Hey Joe, Nice Plane.

This must be the one you where telling me about at the field today.

Chris
Mac333 is offline Find More Posts by Mac333
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Rest in Peace Rockwell Commander.

I had one of those unexplained crashes today. Was just flying around getting used to my Commander (flight number 4).

She was flying great, then all of a sudden, without any warning, she drops her nose and then pile-drives into mother earth........nothing left.

Crashing any plane is bad enough, but not knowing why is even worse. All I would like to know is was it my mistake, or a fault of the equipment on the plane ??

I did all of the post-mortem inspections, lipo condition and state of charge, etc., etc.,and everything seemed to be OK, but because of the extensive damage I'll never know exactly why she went in.

Joe M.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
crash

Very sorry to hear that , Joe...... I don't want to rehash old stuff but what brand of radio, model number and receiver model ? Bec setup from ESC's ? Separate BEC ? brand of ESC's ? sounds like a strange one indede.

(added)
I looked again at the build manual and see that they use 1 elevator servo split to 2 sides and using set screw to lock the push-pull wires. How was the fit on the aft metal clivises to the elevator pushrods ? With some of that metric stuf the threads are very fine and don't like using them. I preferr 4-40 and locktite so no slop for wear down the road. Brand and model of elevator servo ? Had it been used in another model before and how much ? was it metal gear or plastic ? Sounds more like elevator gear failure to me ; either in the servo failure or their hookup procedures.
Would be nice to know what may have caused it and how it could be prevented with similiar future models.
Last edited by stegl; Oct 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Very sorry to hear that , Joe...... I don't want to rehash old stuff but what brand of radio, model number and receiver model ? Bec setup from ESC's ? Separate BEC ? brand of ESC's ? sounds like a strange one indede.

(added)
I looked again at the build manual and see that they use 1 elevator servo split to 2 sides and using set screw to lock the push-pull wires. How was the fit on the aft metal clivises to the elevator pushrods ? With some of that metric stuf the threads are very fine and don't like using them. I preferr 4-40 and locktite so no slop for wear down the road. Brand and model of elevator servo ? Had it been used in another model before and how much ? was it metal gear or plastic ? Sounds more like elevator gear failure to me ; either in the servo failure or their hookup procedures.
Would be nice to know what may have caused it and how it could be prevented with similiar future models.
Hi Len,

Thanks for the condolences.

Metric hardware ? Yeah, I usually ditch the metric stuff. I'm in favor of 2-56 or 4-40. Keeps everything simpler if I ever need to repair. Especially 2-56 because it's very close to 2mm.

The only thing I did find which may explain the crash was the connecting plug at channel 3 was slightly unplugged from the receiver (Futaba throttle is channel 3) . It wasn't completely unplugged, just slightly. When I jiggled the plug everything worked OK.

What I will never know is; did this connecting plug come loose during the crash, or did I just forget to do a final check of all of the receiver connectors ?

Hey......in this hobby it's all in the details !

Oh well......."got to get back on the horse that threw me". I'm currently working on a Piper Twin Commanche.

Joe M.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
plane

Yes, I don't care for the metric stuff and only use 2-56 on small than 40 size aircraft. Anything bigger gets 4-40 hardware all the way arround. Don't think that the throttle unplugging would do it other than roll into a dive with one engine out.
Were the throttles Y-d into the throttle port #3 ?

When I reread the manual on the elevator setup... said to myself.... BIG PROBLEM HERE !.... I have been very successflu on the twin servo setup and separate receiver plugins for split elevators like I showed you with the TF Cessna 182 . Copied this off the H9 Twin Otter but just moved them in closer to the fuse . This could have been quite easily done with any built up H-stab setup and just run the servo wires in like the TO. I use the Airtronics 94761 servos which fit very well and strong as "all- get-out". By the time you dedect all the metal pushrod weight to the tail... it all balances out. When looking at the overall cost of the all up model then the extra servo cost is worth it. I also use twisted servo extensions to the tail servos and that eliminates any signal interaction. Make them up myself with heavier 22 gauge wire.

The new twin is this the Seagull version ?
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
Chesterfield, MI USA
United States, MI, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
Kit For Sale

Joe,

Not sure if this is of interest to you or not. It is an Aero Commander kit by Birdi for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Command...item27cc7a1433

Chris
Mac333 is offline Find More Posts by Mac333
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:25 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post

The new twin is this the Seagull version ?
Yep.........Seagul http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...comanch&page=5

Joe M.