HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:02 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,218 Posts
Although TNWalker is correct that metal gear servos has a tendency to develop some play after some time they can be used in F3A planes. Many use good quality servos on rudder with metal gear. I use metal gear servos on aileron and rudder on my MythoS Pro 2M plane and so far they have not developed play (after 250 flights). It is Futaba BLS551 I use that has metal gear. So I would not rule out good metal gear servos completly for F3A planes, at least for rudder servo it may have its place due to high stress on a rudder servo in some mannouvers.
Check out what servos was in use at F3A WC 2013 - see attachment.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:46 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,743 Posts
A metal gear servo is less likely to break/strip a gear (although most metal gear servos still have a plastic gear), but requires regular checks for wear (loss of centering/slop). Easy to keep replacement gearsets in your shop. They are usually used on larger surfaces with higher loads.

A nylon gear servo is less likely to wear and should have less slop/better centering over a longer service life, however it is more prone to stripping/breaking a gear/tooth on larger surfaces, so they are normally used on smaller lower load surfaces.

In the end, it is personal preference and experience.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Dec 03, 2014, 04:15 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,197 Posts
Metal geared servos and glow/gas motors are a definite no-no. The vibration through the airframe causes the gear teeth to chatter and wear prematurely.

I have no doubt that over time the same thing will happen in an electric aircraft, but the service interval should be a lot longer than a glow setup.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare