HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Help!
Deployed Soldiers looking for Planes

Hello, I am currently stationed over in Afghanistan and am trying to see if there is an organization that would be willing to donate RTF planes (nitro) for some deployed Soldiers.

I am at a small base in Afghanistan with lots of open space. I've been talking to a lot of soldiers over here about flying RC planes and how I fly them back at home (FT Drum, NY). A lot of them are interested in getting into the hobby so I fgured I would try to get ahold of a few planes while we're here. I'm trying to see if I can get a few planes and at least a radio with a buddy box. I have a bunch of soldiers that really want to learn to fly RC Planes, ecspecially while we are over here.

If interested in sending anything my address is:
Brandon Costello
7TH EN BN
FOB Shank APO AE 09364

If you have any information on a donation site, please e-mail me at: bcostello626@yahoo.com

Thank you!
Brandon
costello319 is offline Find More Posts by costello319
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:27 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,571 Posts
I was curious as to how you can get glow fuel over there?
You might have to go with gas engine powered planes.
I think the USPO banned mailing LiPo batteries too. So electrics using Lipos might still be a problem on getting.
RC gliders ought to work well. Especially if there are some good slopes over there to fly off of with the wind.

Thank you for being over there for us too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
There were several threads on RC Universe from troops deployed there and I recall there were some people and I THINK some hobby shops sending over ARFs or RTFs, as I recall they were electric powered though. You guys can also get your own stuff very cheaply if you order from Hobby King in China. Electric would be much better then glow in your situation.
If you go into Special Services on base and talk to them about it they will probably buy the items required for you, that is what they are there for. I was in the Army for a year before I discovered Special Services. They have the money and don't know what to buy the troops to keep them occupied.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:56 PM
Prop buster extrordinaire
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Apr 2011
105 Posts
A few years back I read an article in R/C Car Action about soldiers
in Iraq that built an R/C car track, they were running nitro cars. Not
sure how, but they were getting fuel.
MrBreeze is offline Find More Posts by MrBreeze
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:02 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
I've been talking to a lot of soldiers over here about flying RC planes and how I fly them back at home (FT Drum, NY).
There are no RC airplane clubs at Ft. Drum. I worked for Brown & Root and worked with Ops 4 for 2 years there in the village, and I also assembled the bikes in the Wounded Warrior Program through Dick's Sporting Goods in the former Red Cross Building- not to mention, I live 20 miles from the base.

The closest AMA Chartered Clubs near the base is in Pulaski, Phoenix and Onieda, NY (my club) and I haven't seen anyone from the base there. All the clubs are not at Ft.Drum or in Watertown, NY. I know because I had checked with Dave Mathewson from the AMA. On the base, they have a airbase and as anyone knows, the airspace is highly restricted! If they are flying RC planes then they are breaking all the AMA rules, so I don't trust this guy as far as I could throw him. Not to sound negitive, but what he is writing doesn't add up.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Last edited by Oberst; Aug 05, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Damn man what the hell is your problem, I guess you didnt get the part, "We ARE IN AFGHANISTAN"! You know fighting a war for you! We are trying to get planes to fly over here.... I havent got into AMA yet, I am still relatively new to the hobby myself. I am from Maine and havent had the chance to fly my plane in NY due to rebuilding it, and deploying shortly after. But I know there are two fields around Drum, (private) I went out and saw them myself. I can't think of the name of the town right of hand but that doesnt matter. Appreciate your support, nice to know you take your freedom for granted!
costello319 is offline Find More Posts by costello319
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:56 AM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberst View Post
There are no RC airplane clubs at Ft. Drum. I worked for Brown & Roote and worked with Ops 4 for 2 years there in the village, and I also assembled the bikes in the Wounded Warrior Program through Dick's Sporting Goods in the former Red Cross Building- not to mention, I live 20 miles from the base.

The closest AMA Chartered Clubs near the base is in Pulaski, Phoenix and Onieda, NY (my club) and I haven't seen anyone from the base there. All the clubs are not at Ft.Drum or in Watertown, NY. I know because I had checked with Dave Mathewson from the AMA. On the base, they have a airbase and as anyone knows, the airspace is highly restricted! If they are flying RC planes then they are breaking all the AMA rules, so I don't trust this guy as far as I could throw him. Not to sound negitive, but what he is writing doesn't add up.

Pete
FOB Shank is a real military outpost in afghanistan...
So you think this is a scam to send hobby stuff to some US mailing address?
It was simple enough to do a search about FOB Shank.

Maybe things are different on bases now, but I recall guys flying nitro RC planes at McChord AFB. But that was in the mid 1980s.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:08 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,571 Posts
I don't know about nowadays, but we had a RC plane club at Camp Lejuene, NC years ago. After I had gotten out of the USMC, they had a RC plane club at Luke AFB and when I was invited to fly there we flew off a far back runway on Sundays. I was always worried my plane might have something happen tp it and it hit one of the stored F104's that were parked nearby. But I remember some RC clubs went off base quite a ways to fly at a designated flying area. So there may be some groups that are allowed to fly there, or they fly offbase too. Of course my experiences with the military bases was before all this terrorism stuff started happening. it is a different world today.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,222 Posts
I spent qute a few years in the Marine Corps myself....Never dreamed of asking for a dontation like this......If I needed something I couldn't get when I was overseas or deployed, I asked the family to send it.
I, like Pete don't trust this.....
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I spent qute a few years in the Marine Corps myself....Never dreamed of asking for a dontation like this......If I needed something I couldn't get when I was overseas or deployed, I asked the family to send it.
I enlisted in the AF in 1967 but while waiting to go in in was inducted into the Army in 68. Back then we had a little war called Nam going on. Never once did any of us think we were fighting for American Freedom, like you we were placed into a political situation. The difference is, I didn't volunteer for the Army, as an E-4 with buck stripes I made $186.00 a month. When I got out myself and others like me made the Draft go away so our presidents no longer had a standing Army to do with as they pleased. You are not there to guard my freedom, if you don't want to be there you shouldn't have joined up. If I sound harsh it's because I get tired of hearing about guarding my freedom, I would rather have you all here state side. If you don't make enough money to buy your own toys then get out and find a nice civilian job if you have any skills. You don't know what it took us to do away with the draft. Your there because you want to be, not to guard my freedom anymore then I guarded the freedom of America. Tricky Dick needed cannon fodder and I fit the bill.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post

Bingo! +1. It seems these days you have some that are doing their time for the wrong reasons, and expecting something for nothing because they are serving. I hope he didn't join just for the benifits?

My whole family fought in WWI, WWII and in Korea in the Navy. My father saw action in 1943 to late 46 on LST 395 and 699, then rejoined for the Korean Conflict for another 4 years on the Los Angeles Heavy Cruiser. My father was in the thick of it all the way from the Leyte Gulf to Iwo Jima and beyond. I myself because of what my father and grandfather did am a member of the VFW here in Lacona, NY. Those old guys and my family served to give back- not to see what they could get in benifits after they served or to get something from us state side while serving.

The old vets I have respect for didn't ask for nothing, they did it because they wanted to give.

My uncle "Pappy" and grandfather served in WWI on the USS North Carolina Battleship (1st one) and and the Battlewagon Texas. So I know what war is, they left nothing out in the horrible details and I could easily feel what my father did under those circumstances.

I married into a family who served on the other side, and served for the Luftwaffe in WWII and I'm friends with Walter Schuck to this day ( he had a stroke and now in a nursing home, keep him in our prayers) and my wife got to know Galland and Rall when they were alive- when she was just a little girl.

So don't try to say that I or anyone else take freedom for granted just because someone calls you out on the fact there are no RC Clubs in Fort Drum or in Watertown, NY.

I did my time, won the highest civilian medal from Ft. Drum under Major Seavers training your sorry butts and believe me, I humped enough snow trying to keep you all out of glad bags. And I didn't ask the Army or Brown&Root for nothing!

Jetmech05, Marines eh? My father always felt sorry for you guys. From what I was taught, I know I still do.

So let me ask you this, if you get your little panties in a knot in what I wrote, then what are you going to do when you can't afford to get emotional?

Again his request is a bit fishy. That is my opinion, others can do what ever they want.

Other than that, it is also my opinion this " Thank you for your service" is starting to become way overrated these days. If anyhing our Vietnam Vets needs to be thanked more for the hell the "Hippy Generation" put them through. That was FUBAR!

Pete
Last edited by Oberst; Aug 05, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:43 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
I enlisted in the AF in 1967 but while waiting to go in in was inducted into the Army in 68. Back then we had a little war called Nam going on. Never once did any of us think we were fighting for American Freedom, like you we were placed into a political situation. The difference is, I didn't volunteer for the Army, as an E-4 with buck stripes I made $186.00 a month. When I got out myself and others like me made the Draft go away so our presidents no longer had a standing Army to do with as they pleased. You are not there to guard my freedom, if you don't want to be there you shouldn't have joined up. If I sound harsh it's because I get tired of hearing about guarding my freedom, I would rather have you all here state side. If you don't make enough money to buy your own toys then get out and find a nice civilian job if you have any skills. You don't know what it took us to do away with the draft. Your there because you want to be, not to guard my freedom anymore then I guarded the freedom of America. Tricky Dick needed cannon fodder and I fit the bill.
Amen! Thank you for what you did Grey Beard, and I thank you for your service. I agree, once we get our main objective, we should get the hell out. Unfortunately when politics and the press gets involved, or we start policing the world to plant the seed of democracy, then we are loosing lives and risking our men and women for nothing. S~

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that our leaders learn do they? And what pisses me off is we get canidates that are all bad, and the good ones never get voted in. They say, " Vote for the lesser of two evils." But then I respond, "OK, but then I'm still voting for evil."

I don't like who is in office, and I don't care for the challenger. American politics = SNAFU

That's why I fly full size and RC airplanes. That's so I can get away from the "rat race" and forget about life for awhile and mingle among friends.

Pete
Last edited by Oberst; Aug 05, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:29 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Costello talked about flying planes in "fields." He said nothing about "clubs." I have read enough (and talked to enough returned soldiers) to know that there is often down time and a need for something to do. One magazine DID talk about race cars, and there was a thread on here about flying planes in Iraq; can't find it right now. My point is that his request makes sense as far as the facts go. What makes me wonder is the explosion from Costello over what seems to be a minor point.

If you other guys think it sounds fishy, fine; you pointed out some stuff that I didn't notice -- FWIW, I'm 4-F from 1955. I have been a DAV volunteer for 4 years, and feel great respect for the Vietnam and Korean vets, many of whom are old and, for whatever reason, poor.

Hate to be trite, but how about a little tolerance here?

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551483

In 2011, anyway, soldiers in Iraq were not allowed model planes.

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Last edited by gwinhh; Aug 05, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: wrong
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:01 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
howell : I have been a DAV volunteer for 4 years, and feel great respect for the Vietnam and Korean vets, many of whom are old and, for whatever reason, poor.
It's because they take pride in doing things on their own without asking for hand outs. My Father did not go in the Navy for a free education and healthcare, he did it because he believed if he didn't, Japan or Germany was going to eventually invade. He did things because his Country asked him to, not what he could get out of it.

A liitle story that some of you can relate:

When my father went in the Navy in WWII he quit CBA to fight with his cousins, who had also joined the Navy. When he got out of the Navy in 46, he went back to school to finish getting his diploma, then he went to college for a year.

When Korea started, he re-enlisted and was given a higher rank. When Korea had the final "Cease Fire Agreement" and when he was finished with his extra 4 years he only had the experience of being a gunners mate, and it was really hard finding a job with the military training he had; so he hit the pavement looking for jobs. He had a series of sales jobs and in the meantime he applied for the Civil Service Exam in Law Enforcement. From there he became a Deputy Sheriff with Schenectady County until my brother and I were born. He then got a job with G.E. Security and got a Q Clearance guarding Top Secret projects. As a side job, he drove a shool bus and was a truant officer with my school district. My father retired in 1986 from G.E. with a full pension just before G.E started the massive layoff.

My father died in 2003 and was buried without a military funeral guard, no flag and no taps were played. Many have died and done way less, but yet got full honors. My father died only owning a Cadillac that was 5 years old and a double wide trailer in Bradenton, Florida. He never went hungry, and he went out to eat every week. He always had good booze on hand and he played golf every week. He got a part time job working at a car auction for extra cash, but it was more to just be doing something because he was bored with retirement.

My family as a whole never asked for nothing, my father could have got ROTC, Navy pension, and VA benefits; but instead, he did everything on his own and never asked the government or others to give him a hand out. As a matter of fact, I was raised to be the same way and take pride in not sucking off the system, and if I was doing time, I'd certainly be embarrased and ashamed of taking advantage off of patriotic or grateful people to get things, and I'd certainly wouldn't be going to RC sites asking for free stuff like I've been seeing from different RC sites from different individuals.

Word gets out fast - Once these guys know they can get free simulators and RC planes, they will take advantage of it. It's one thing to ask family for these things and another to ask strangers. It takes a special quality type of balls to do that. If you want to help people who are serving, send them a care package, or donate to Wounded Warriors.

Just because they are in uniform doesn't make them entitled for anything they want just because we are grateful for what they do. Asking for simulators and RC planes is a bit over-doing it in my opinion.

ETA: Plus there is the danger of these simulators or planes getting into the wrong hands, and then being used against the troops or God forbid, with full-sized aircraft (using the simulator to train) - the enemy isn't stupid. They'd figure out a way to use those RC aircraft in a very harmful way if they were to get into their hands.

Pete
Last edited by Oberst; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: adding a caveat