SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayxer View Post
Just a note to those of you that have the F4U and P-47 and are planning to add spacers behind the motor mount. Be mindful of how much room you have between the molded gearbox on the dummy radial, and the bell housing of the brushless motor. I don't have either yet, but spacing out the motor will bring it closer to the dummy radial.

If what I've read is correct, in that FMS and Durafly worked together on the Durafly 1100mm series, this is already an issue on the Durafly F4U without the extra spacing!
That is a good point, but if to open the cowl opening like GOT and I did, it helps aleviate this and adds more cooling at the same time.

If you just add a spacer to the prop shaft ( "axel" as I just saw it refered to) then there is not enought room to get the spinner on securely, FMS didn't make the prop shaft adapter long enough and it really should be about another 3-5mm longer to allow the spinner to be able to secure up on more threads
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Always a noob
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Hey guys,

Is this bird really $400? I'm trying to save up for it, but so far I haven't seen it for sale listed anywhere. I'd like to at least know the price. Thanks!
irodrigo is offline Find More Posts by irodrigo
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
LE MANS, France
Joined Oct 2010
249 Posts
Hi Guys,
Sorry for your F4U Aros...That really suck.

I'm asking my self: "why Banana Hobby, Official FMS Dealer in USA didn't show us any pics or video of this F4U?" Does Pete has allready fly with this bird and get the same problem; then he wants to keep it secret? Or does Pete hasn't go yet this F4U???

The things that really upset me is that this F4U project is 1 year old, and FMS should learned experience from P51 / P47 problems. And this bird is allready upgading in a V2 version...That is really strange from FMS "Perfect appearence, Excellent performance" should add "poor studying"???

Waiting for next version now...

Chris
HLC SHOP is offline Find More Posts by HLC SHOP
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
irodrigo, the price point should be the same as the 1700MM P-47 and P-51. Around $400 + shipping.

HLC SHOP, FMS stopped focusing on the development and progression of their 1700MM series when sales dramatically decreased. They sited both stagnant world economy and complaints that the 1700's were too difficult to transport. So they began to focus on their top sellers which is the 1400 series hands down.

This might explain the lack of R&D in the 1700s even though they have continued to upgrade the 1700's (see the P-51 retracts as a good example), just not with the full attention and focus they might have if these were their top sellers.

The F4U-4 Corsair was going to be a big deal until the above took place and their focus shifted. They still decided to release the Corsair, unfortunately with more testing and research needed for the hub/cowl/prop setup. They focused so much on getting the retracts correct for this plane that I think they let the other vitally important issues slip by without further R&D, engineering and testing.

So far, in the limited flights I have had with two of these Corsairs, it looks like they got the retracts right. Very, very stout. Of course, none of that matters if you have exploding props and hubs mid-flight.

I wish the proper R&D, engineering and testing would have been complete out of the gate for all of the 1700's but I do applaud them for continuing to right the wrongs and improve the quality and safety of a series of product they admit are not selling well. I for one prefer the size of these 1700's and am thankful they are continuing to offer them, even in limited models to choose from.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irodrigo View Post
Hey guys,

Is this bird really $400? I'm trying to save up for it, but so far I haven't seen it for sale listed anywhere. I'd like to at least know the price. Thanks!
Rc-castle.com and at some future point, the fruit bowl will have them as well.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Fwiw, I personally think their present method of using bolts/screws to clamp these blades to the hub has got to go. The blades need to be supported around their entire circumference at the root to maximize the strength available in the blade mass there. Ridges, shoulders, or flanges molded on the hub and blades and clamping around the edges of the hub would be called for in these that simulate radial engined aircraft.

As the size of the units gets larger, the strength needed goes up in a proportion to call for another look at the materials and engineering.
Good points Jack. Ramoser has been doing that for sometime now.

For those interested, I just U/L some pics of their VarioProp 16D on the "P-47 Jug: VarioPROP" pg.

I have also sent some relative info to FMS as well.

Gary

Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Just add a spacer on the threaded shaft, just before the hub. That'll give you ~3mm extra.
Sounds like the easiest and fastest way to see if that fixes a space problem. IMO (Don't own)
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
I don't have the corsair or P47, but are the props in both secured by 2 screws like the P51?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Yes, two screws but one screw is longer as the way the hub is shaped the inner diameter is thicker than the outer diameter. Same principle though with the screws and locking nuts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Yes, two screws but one screw is longer as the way the hub is shaped the inner diameter is thicker than the outer diameter. Same principle though with the screws and locking nuts.

Okay, so here my 2nd question. If the 3 airframes use the same method to keep the prop blades secured then why hasn't the P51 suffered the same fate?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:36 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
Because it has a much more substantial hub assembly with nothing to rub against or catch on.

What I want to know is how did they think they could get away with using plastic on such an integral piece of a model this size.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Because it has a much more substantial hub assembly with nothing to rub against or catch on.

What I want to know is how did they think they could get away with using plastic on such an integral piece of a model this size.
so the hub plays a part in conjunction with the screws in keeping the props in place?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
From what I can tell, the screws are not the issue, the issue is the plastic hub making contact with the fake engine part of the cowl and then coming apart. The P-51 doesn't have any of that to worry about therefore no incidents of this nature have happened to it.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
What im getting at is some posts have been made about the way 2 screws are used to hold the props in place. And like you said I believe it has nothing to do with this , but rather the hub or screw making contact with the cowl. As this person posted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Originally Posted by gnats82
Fwiw, I personally think their present method of using bolts/screws to clamp these blades to the hub has got to go. The blades need to be supported around their entire circumference at the root to maximize the strength available in the blade mass there. Ridges, shoulders, or flanges molded on the hub and blades and clamping around the edges of the hub would be called for in these that simulate radial engined aircraft.

As the size of the units gets larger, the strength needed goes up in a proportion to call for another look at the materials and engineering.
Last edited by v8truckin; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:02 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Yes, the reason for the failure is not the screws per se (although Brandon has pointed out that some of the screw tips extend beyond the back of the hub), it's the low-grade plastic that is too close to the dummy engine and cowl as well as can easily create stress fractures if the screws are tightened too much. Both issues can create the type of destruction you see in my latest house of horrors video.

The P-51 does not share that fate as it has a completely different backplate assembly and no dummy engine plastic part that can "catch" on any part of the backplate regardless of flight style, whereas the P-47/Corsair hub certainly can and does with the right maneuvers.
RCG Plus Member