HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Discussion
Hacker ESC Programming

I have a question regarding the ESC setup.

Equipment being used --
Hacker A30-28S motor
Hacker X-40-SB Pro ESC
Battery 2200 3s 25c LiPo
Prop 12x6E
Spectrum DX6 tx
Spectrum AR600 rx

Basically it seems like I've tried everything and cannot get the motor to operate properly. When I move the throttle up slowly the motor works as expected. However when I go from a dead stop to full throttle, the motor skips or stutters once or twice before getting to speed. How can I correct this?

I've tried different accel, timing, freq, RPM controls however nothing seems to work. I've even tried reversing motor with two cables swapped.

Here's my current ESC settings.
Brake off
Battery Type: 3 Lipos - 11.6V
Under voltage - reduced power when low
Acceleration - High
Timing - Auto (tried med and high as well)
Freq - 8 kHz
Rotation Reverse no
Action RPM control off. (seem like if I set this to any other setting than off, when I go to full throttle there is a long delay in the engine speed up. seem like this setting would only be fore helis.)

What am I doing wrong?
avengedkevinfold is offline Find More Posts by avengedkevinfold
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:12 AM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
I have the exact same problem, is there a programming parameter for this or some other fix?
tacdriver is offline Find More Posts by tacdriver
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:37 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Sometimes loss of sync and/or stuttering issues are caused by faulty connectors. Re-check all of your motor connections. If in doubt, remove and resolder them (both the ESC and motor side).

I've solved several motor stuttering issues using this method.
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
I was able to stick program it and set acceleration to high and motor to multi pole, that seems to have helped it! thanks for the reply and I'll check the connectors too - they are factory solder so who knows, might be cold joints.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:28 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,163 Posts
Assuming you have good batteries, that setup will be pushing close to 500 watts through a motor rated for 300. I would have no problems doing that personally as i push hacker motors well above specs all the time and I know how conservative the specs are,..however,.. when you push an outrunner like that they sometimes do as you're seeing with throttle up and the solutions are either to use a smaller prop (less load), and/or increase timing, and/or decrease acceleration rate in the controller. There is one configuration I fly that must be at slow acceleration and high timing. If I go down a single inch in prop I can go back to fast acceleration,..but I want the thrust of the larger prop.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT View Post
Assuming you have good batteries, that setup will be pushing close to 500 watts through a motor rated for 300. I would have no problems doing that personally as i push hacker motors well above specs all the time and I know how conservative the specs are,..however,.. when you push an outrunner like that they sometimes do as you're seeing with throttle up and the solutions are either to use a smaller prop (less load), and/or increase timing, and/or decrease acceleration rate in the controller. There is one configuration I fly that must be at slow acceleration and high timing. If I go down a single inch in prop I can go back to fast acceleration,..but I want the thrust of the larger prop.
Woa. really? I'm using an Omega 74g, from 3DHS. I can't recall what the motor pulled, I think it was around 250 max. Nothing is warm when done flying, about 6 minutes of 3D, but not all WOT. We're about 55 to 65f ambient, so not too warm here yet. I'll put the wattmeter on it and post back, thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:03 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,163 Posts
hmmm,.. that doesn't sound right unless the 28 KV has changed from what I've used. Definately a possibility since all my A30's have quite some age on them (purple motors never seem to die <G>).
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:04 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
148 Posts
I just had a similar problem for about a week. Posted about it in the 'Power systems' thread. Had an Omega 72gr 1100kv and Hobbywing 45A pentium ESC with a10x4.7 sf prop and it would screech like mad on any hard throttle advance. Fixed it by changing the timing to medium finally on Thursday. Just bought a Hacker 30-28s and put it in this am, but won't fly it till tomorrow. But I put the timing back to low for the Hacker and now reading this I wonder if the problem will be back tomorrow ??
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Hi 2 all, i am Newbie in this forum, i want to know i want to learn html, can anybody
tell me which is the good book for learning html.
egbert123 is offline Find More Posts by egbert123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:43 PM
Kansas City, Mo
Joined Jun 2010
37 Posts
Any updates on this....I got an A40 with a x-70 sb. I directly soldered the esc to motor and no change.
Deniz Y is offline Find More Posts by Deniz Y
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
In case anyone is monitoring this topic, one other change I've seen posted elsewhere is to bump up the throttle trim so the prop is spinning and doesn't come to a dead stop. From what others posted, the hesitation is because it's at a dead stop, going to full throttle, and the ESC sending full current makes a pause since nothing is moving current (or whatever is technically happening inside there).

I'm giving this a shot, just have to remember to reduce the trim after landing. Also, the "zero" trim is set when the Hacker ESC boots up, so if you've got it pushed full up, you won't be able to trim the motor to spin at all next time you plug in the ESC. Need to reduce the trim between battery packs so you have some "up" left to use, if that makes sense.

Oh, and metering the motor I get: 35 amps, WOT 12x6 apc, 29 amps 11x5.5apc.