Closed Thread
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:10 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modea2 View Post
Very Interesting! Perhaps my problem with the cam was not dirt after all then?
I'm going to try a re-flash al-la the "Techmoan" site. I'll report if it fixes the problem.
All the available official firmware for this camera are available here on this site (link in post #3).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Web prices now show at least 5% off on the bare camera. Slightly more on some package (e.g. with flash memory cards, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I just got an email this AM from one of the listed eBay sellers about a "big sale" of the #11 HD. I don't know if this is true or not... the links provided don't seem to show discounted prices. I sent back an email for clarification... no reply yet. FYI... here is the text from the email FWIW:
So sorry to disturb you,i'm the service of the ebay shop "eletech086" http://stores.ebay.co.uk/eletech086
discount for the #11 HD 808 camera !!! From 8th August to 20th August!!!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:10 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Versions?

How do we know whether we have a V2 or V3?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
How do we know whether we have a V2 or V3?

Kev
This, like most newcomer questions, have been answered in the first three posts! See post #2. Always check there first, please, when you have a new question.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utx View Post
I researched the camera circuit a bit and created a modification that allows to switch between USB modes and recording while charging automatically. My V2 camera can use the standard car power supply now and charges during recording (the battery is not nearly depleted after car recording). When connected to the computer, it switches to the USB Mass Storage Mode as it did before.

I just created a small detection board and wired it inside the camera. It would be especially useful for people with a V2 or older, but it would allow people with V3 to use a standard charger.

hardware modification
Very clever of you to have figured this out! This is not something that most would want to attempt, but for those who might, can you summarize more clearly the advantage of doing this mod?

I've done some long recordings with my external battery pack using the simple modified plug that comes with the car charger, and my internal battery stays charged as long as the external pack is still providing power. Ditto for the car charger. Other than slightly different LED confirmation, there's no other differences between V2 and V3 cameras that I've found.

I don't use a laptop with the camera when away from home, so the switching from recording mode to USB mode when an external charger is powering the camera is not something I (or most?) need. And at home, I could alternatively get a simple house voltage to 12V DC converter wall wart that accepts the car charger plug if I need continuous power while recording.

I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishment in deciphering the camera circuitry (!)... just trying to understand what it does that can't be done now with simpler alternatives. I'm obviously missing something, so please enlighten me!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:59 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Emergency battery charger doesn't add record time.

I have a new jumbo toyota model and it records two 50 minute clips, when I attach the blue emergency charger it still only will save 2 clips but it will start buzzing toward the end of the first one. I would think connecting the extra battery would extend the record time. (new alkaline battery in charger and fully charged cam) Any Ideas?
Thanks.

Beautiful aerial vid of Marco Island Fl. http://youtu.be/QWOjZHgPMBw
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
I have a new jumbo toyota model and it records two 50 minute clips, when I attach the blue emergency charger it still only will save 2 clips but it will start buzzing toward the end of the first one. I would think connecting the extra battery would extend the record time. (new alkaline battery in charger and fully charged cam) Any Ideas?
Thanks.

Beautiful aerial vid of Marco Island Fl. http://youtu.be/QWOjZHgPMBw
Answered in the external power link in Post #3. FWIW, my new Jumbo has that buzzing sound with a fully charged battery! VERY faint, but I can hear it with my not-so-great hearing if there is no other sound on the recording.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:22 AM
FRANCE
Joined Oct 2005
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
One more idea to power the 720p camera is to solder a servo wire to where the battery was connected to and connect it to your receiver, I've done it dozens of times with 5-5.5v power and its worked flawlessly...
Hello !

It is not a bit too much to power directly 5V instead of the battery ?It is not better to connect the receiver 5V in the USB plug?
powermec is offline Find More Posts by powermec
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:59 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
This, like most newcomer questions, have been answered in the first three posts! See post #2. Always check there first, please, when you have a new question.
My apologies

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:04 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Doesn't explain loss

Quote:
Answered in the external power link in Post #3. FWIW, my new Jumbo has that buzzing sound with a fully charged battery! VERY faint, but I can hear it with my not-so-great hearing if there is no other sound on the recording.
I read that and you got approx 100 min more with external pack. I get no more time and it starts buzzing within 50 min so I actually get less quality time with the external. Sup?
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:01 AM
utx
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Very clever of you to have figured this out! This is not something that most would want to attempt, but for those who might, can you summarize more clearly the advantage of doing this mod?
Advantage of the mod for all users:

- Can record with a standard mini USB charger connected.

Advantage of the mod for V2 users:

- Makes possible to charge during recording.

Quote:
I've done some long recordings with my external battery pack using the simple modified plug that comes with the car charger, and my internal battery stays charged as long as the external pack is still providing power. Ditto for the car charger. Other than slightly different LED confirmation, there's no other differences between V2 and V3 cameras that I've found.
As I wrote in my old posts (search them via all my posts in my profile), V2 has no charging circuit on pin 4. The external power is connected in parallel with battery! Looking at photos of V3 and seeing (probably) 3 additional Schottky diodes there, I think, that V3 has redesigned charging circuitry and it works there with both pin 1 and pin 4. That is why the LED works there onl pin 4 as well.

V2 behavior depends on the external voltage on pin 4:

- 4.4V and less (e. g. dedicated car "charger"): V2 depletes the battery until its voltage reaches external voltage minus ~0.2V, and then it starts to use external power. For example, external 4.2V car charger starts to power the camera when battery depletes to about 10% of its capacity. Low risk, only in case of totally depleted battery there is a risk of overcurrent.

- 4.4V to 4.7V: V2 charges the internal battery forever. High risk of fast degradation of the battery. (Some people really complain about short battery live here.)

- 4.7V and more: Emergency breaker on the battery terminal disconnects it from the power. No charging or discharging happens.

(Note that the dedicated AA emergency charger has no regulator. Depending on the duty, its voltage varies over the whole range above. Turning emergency charger LED off indicates activation of the emergency battery breaker, i. e. it always overcharges a bit.)

Quote:
I don't use a laptop with the camera when away from home, so the switching from recording mode to USB mode when an external charger is powering the camera is not something I (or most?) need. And at home, I could alternatively get a simple house voltage to 12V DC converter wall wart that accepts the car charger plug if I need continuous power while recording.

I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishment in deciphering the camera circuitry (!)... just trying to understand what it does that can't be done now with simpler alternatives. I'm obviously missing something, so please enlighten me!
Unmodified V2 is not capable to correctly charge while recording.

When I am in car, I plug the camera to one of standard mini USBs plug of my universal 5V car power supply. The camera records and it is fully charged when removed from the car. (With the dedicated car "charger", my V2 camera was able to record about 2 minutes after removing from the car.)

When I am at home, I can use the camera as a reader. (My previous simple mod just disabled USB modes, and I had to remove the card, put it to the reader, read and then put back to the camera.)
utx is offline Find More Posts by utx
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:42 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermec View Post
Hello !

It is not a bit too much to power directly 5V instead of the battery ?It is not better to connect the receiver 5V in the USB plug?
It probably is, but im not sure there is even a difference. Doesnt the battery itself, limit the USB voltage ?
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by utx View Post
Advantage of the mod for all users:
I realize that this project is not for the faint-hearted, but, on the other hand, I think the technical-minded among us can learn a lot from this, even if they don't attempt the project themselves. Also, the explanations of how the #11 handles the external power is very interesting.

For me, this is a very exciting project, and, although I have never etched an SMD board, I will certainly give it a try as soon as I have a bit of time to spare - unfortunately this will not be in the very near future. - Actually, I think my main problem will be getting the right exposure for the photoresist spray...

In addition to the technical advantages, I think that being able to use standard USB cables instead of "special" cables to continuous record is THE biggest advantage.

I have made many of those special cables, but I have to admit that I don't like them! It is so much easier to just have one single cable for everything.

Most of my activities with the #11s are done away from home, with only a notebook and a few USB battery packs on hand. It has always annoyed me that I need two sets of cables. Actually it's a lot more, because I have other devices that use USB micro plugs or even dedicated plugs - most annoying.

And last but not least, having a custom modified #11, is something to be proud of
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
I read that and you got approx 100 min more with external pack. I get no more time and it starts buzzing within 50 min so I actually get less quality time with the external. Sup?
My external battery pack has four 800 mAH AA cells in series, so it can deliver the full 800 mAh capacity to the camera at a nominal 4.8V. As the FAQ's explain, the emergency charger with just ONE cell has a voltage quadrupling circuit to get proper voltage to charge the camera internal battery. In so doing, the available current the battery can supply is REDUCED by the same factor of 4, with also some efficiency losses. The bottom line is it only has enough current available to slowly charge the camera internal battery while the camera is NOT also recording). When the camera IS recording, the current demand goes way up and the emergency charger cannot sustain that current level for very long without dropping it's voltage to the point where it can no longer power the camera. At that point, the camera internal battery does all the work, so the emergency charger can only add maybe 15 minutes or so of additional recording time.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:12 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
VirtualDub processing

Some interesting progress here...

I found a way to remove the purple center spot by using a VirtualDub filter. And probaly the anti-vignetting is going to work as well.

I was not sure if it was possible to remove the center spot as when the white balance setting changes, the correction would be with the wrong color. But very surprisingly it works for different white balance settings. At least the situations filmed from an aircraft.

So far I avoided VirtualDub because there is no support for MOV files. But.... In conjuction with AviSynth it's very easy to open the MOV files!

This is how it works to open the MOV in VirtualDub:
- Install AviSynth
- In the same folder as the MOV you want to process you create a file like test.avs
- In test.avs you simple enter a single line like this: DirectShowSource( "PTDC0007.MOV" )
- Now open this file in VirtualDub and you will see it reads the file!

Now the purple spot.

I just made a video of my white ceiling and turned the camera a couple of times around. From this video I made a few (6 in this case) stills and made an average of those stills (using any photo editor). To smooth the image I applied gaussion blur. Then I selected the neutral color outside the center and made a new layer, and filled this with this color. I substracted this neutral color from the original averaged and smoothed image. What is left is the difference: the purple tint! See first image!

Then I used the Layer Filter by Brian Allen Vanderburg II to substract this correction layer file from the original frames. Fortunately there is a preview in the filter, because I needed to tweak the correction file (adjust contrast / levels) to get a good correction (if you over-correct you get a green spot.....).

The result is quite nice! See samples below! It's not optimal yes: just 6 images from a ceiling.... But the effect is already quite descent.

I also experimented with removing the vignetting using this filter. I expected to need multiply. But in a positive image white doesn't modify anything, and black is like 0xsomething=0. And anything in between. So i first needed use an invert filter and then use the same "ceiling" file to make a brightness distribution frame. It works, but not really as expected (the dark corner because gray). I remember an anti-vignetting has been discussed in this thread, so probably I have to try this.

If I found an optimum filter set, it's easy to process all movies in a batch.

See examples below...
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Closed Thread