HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Discussion
Speed control question

I was wondering if your esc burnt up would you lose all control of the plane or would you still have the use of servos. Thanks!
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:18 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-reevo View Post
I was wondering if your esc burnt up would you lose all control of the plane or would you still have the use of servos. Thanks!
If your esc burnt up you would lose all control of the plane. No servo's no nothing.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:20 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
If you're ESC burnt up and it contained the BEC that was powering the RX then you are out of luck and going to have no control.

If the ESC did not contain the BEC powering you're reciever or you were using a seperate RX battery, then no, you still have control of your servos.

That being said, the couple of times I've seen an ESC burn up it's either started a fire in the plane or come close to it so one better land in a hurry and get the ground almost as fast as crashing to put the flames out if need be.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:43 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
Had that happen to one of mine. Left a trail of smoke from about 300 ft. like I'd beem shot down with AAA

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
A lot depends on how the ESC fails. It's possible to burn up some of the power MOSFETS and lose your motor but still have a functional BEC. It's also possible to roast the whole thing and lose radio contact. Mostly the difference comes down to luck.

If you're concerned, or flying a large and therefore dangerous model, you should use a separate BEC.

If you're paranoid, consider running a separate receiver pack like we used to use with fuel-powered models.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:33 PM
Morristown,NJ
Joined Oct 2003
162 Posts
Had a 80% XBOW w J250 motor. The motor wore out & pulled a lot more than the ESC could handle - flames came out mid-air burning through the FFF, had enough control to land it. BEC was still good afterwards.
moyg is offline Find More Posts by moyg