HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
brought her up today in the garage for a quick feel and wow is she slow. I mean i have to really move the stick, im guessing the much more ground effect the 4 blades give rather than 2. when i give it a little forward she wanted to lift up as well??? Will have to test in the air after this hurricane isaac passes us...
I will say she is a beast......... scary loud. motor and esc got hot real fast with just spinning on the ground in the garage. will have to put the new esc and motor in asap.....
the apache top on the head has been milled in crooked and it has a little wobble on start up and spin down. you can see it wobble from the top. I know my shaft is not bent. does anyone know how to fix this? did I get a bad unit?
For starting, I think I can fall in love with the four blade real fast. I'm digging it.
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
7 Posts
Thanks very Jan for the ideas and photos.

Could you able to show me how to install the ball link to the short tail push rod? How did you make the threads to the short push rod? I believe that you cut a full length Align push rod to suit, but how did you attach a ball link to it?

Thanks
Choppercopter is offline Find More Posts by Choppercopter
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:29 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppercopter View Post
Thanks very Jan for the ideas and photos.

Could you able to show me how to install the ball link to the short tail push rod? How did you make the threads to the short push rod? I believe that you cut a full length Align push rod to suit, but how did you attach a ball link to it?

Thanks
Hi,

I have used for the short rod, a flybar rod from a 450 size head (KDS or HK) so I did not need to make treads on the rods what would be difficult

But you can connect two rods to each-other with two wheel collars just to get the right length (then test fly) and than solder it.
Wheel collar mount, like this example.
Its the Bow part off my Gato submarine and one collar will do fine, its not a helicopter and the response on the dive rudder don't need to be that fast.

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Correct my explanation
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Mar 2010
7 Posts
Raise Tail push rod

Thanks Jan,

I got a RC Aerodyne version 1 Jayhawk flying with flex cable. Now I am about to convert to Smartmodel TT tail system.

I have measured the Jayhawk tail, after the 5 degree SM gear box is installed, the original length Align 600 tail boom requires to be cut by about 80mm in order to fit inside the tail of the Jayhawk. That's mean I have to shorten the tail push rod by 80mm as well.

What I am enquiring is once the push rod cut, how can I install the ball link to the end of the push rod that just been cut?

If any of you guys know how to make a new length push rod, please show me.

Thanks very much

Jan,

I noticed your Apache has both push rods (one for the tail boom and one for the raise tail) have ball links installed. Are they supplied with the Apache fuselage when you bought it or did you get them from somewhere else?

Thanks
Choppercopter is offline Find More Posts by Choppercopter
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
64 Posts
The tail assembly in the first pic is the SmartModel tail. It is sold separately.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
The tail assembly in the first pic is the SmartModel tail. It is sold separately.

Yes its sold separately and for the Apache I used a flybar rod from a 450 size helicopter.

Regards,

Jan,
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Still has a huge wobble on start up and down, but seems to go away at higher rpm's. but still a rough vibration!

I ripped the blades off and spun it up, and it was worse. I even changed the main shaft, (knowing it wasn't bent), still no luck.

I'm all out of ideas. as the head didn't come with instructions and the cnchelicopters.com service is non existent now, I don't know what to do. as my apache fuse should be here tomorrow, I'm getting excited, but worried.

Here is a video, PLEASE someone help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-E9...ature=youtu.be

its a little loud, might want to turn down your audio a little

thanks
Buddy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
593 Posts
Hi Buddy,

My second Align 600 CE (belt) have a wobble in the head caused by play in the two bearings who holds the main-shaft.
(Will go in my BlackHawk and the photo's are the preparation of the frames. But I will make a seperate building tread off this BlackHawk build. )
My Align 600 ESP (mounted in my Apache) has had the same issue I have solved this by placing a third bearing block direct under the main gear.

The wobbling in the head was gone then, At least it works for me .
If you push and pull at your main shaft, do you feel any play? that was with my mechanic the case.

Hope this helps, because it's some times difficult to examine even with the gear in hand to solve the problem.

Jan,
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 28, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
[QUOTE=buddertoast;22541433]I'm checking the outside diameter of these scorpion motors with a 500 kv to 350 kv and all of them have 49.5mm diameter. That will not fit in a trex 600 esp correct? I'm measuring 47.5mm inside the frame?
Has anyone used a scorpion motor with 500kv or less in there trex 600 esp?

Hey Buddy i have a hyperion 4035 500kv in my apache, i had to chop a little bit off the side frame to accommodate it, and also( if you have a tf model apache coming)
you will find it pokes out the bottom of your mechanics so some shimming may be required for clearance against the fuse.

On my blackhawk, i ordered the 4025 scorpion 540kv motor, and they even do them in 5mm shaft size, so no stress when it comes to acquiring and fitting lesser tooth pinions when it comes time to dropping that rpm.

good luck
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
On my blackhawk, i ordered the 4025 scorpion 540kv motor, and they even do them in 5mm shaft size, so no stress when it comes to acquiring and fitting lesser tooth pinions when it comes time to dropping that rpm.
Jay -- where did you order the Scorpion 4025 540kv? I'm looking for one now.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,282 Posts
Someone needs to make some blocks to put these into http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...x8-70002RS5RPG, but your solution is by far the cheapest. Other companies are trying to sell a extra block for $24 crazy! I guess not any more crazy than blocks with $40 bearing in them lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Buddy,

My second Align 600 CE (belt) have a wobble in the head caused by play in the two bearings who holds the main-shaft.
(Will go in my BlackHawk and the photo's are the preparation of the frames. But I will make a seperate building tread off this BlackHawk build. )
My Align 600 ESP (mounted in my Apache) has had the same issue I have solved this by placing a third bearing block direct under the main gear.

The wobbling in the head was gone then, At least it works for me .
If you push and pull at your main shaft, do you feel any play? that was with my mechanic the case.

Hope this helps, because it's some times difficult to examine even with the gear in hand to solve the problem.

Jan,
You did this in your trex 600 esp? My esp main shaft is smaller at the bottom where the main gear goes in, I cannot find a way to add another main shaft mount. and the elevator linkages are in the way between them, there is no room for one. This is a good idea, how long is your main shaft? There is a little play from the bearings, but not much. I will have to mess around with this and see if I can get that to work.

thanks for the reply there Jan.
Buddy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
593 Posts
Buddy,

Sorry that I forgot to mention but the main-shaft and bearing blocks are from the Align 600 NITRO version the main shaft is longer and thinner at the end. the bearing blocks are also with two bigger and one smaller bearing.
Regarding the linkages, well you will get new frames with your Apache kit and they are direct driven to your swash-plate.
It works with my Apache so I assume it will works with yours also

Jan,
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
Jay -- where did you order the Scorpion 4025 540kv? I'm looking for one now.
it was on this page,

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...40/hkiii-4025/

But you can see each model has been upgraded to 6mm shaft now which sucks, but it might pay to ask if they have any 5mm shafts left in stock. i got mine from there about 3 months ago now.

i was also 10 kv out, mines a 550kv.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Boom! i found it,

It was in the discontinued motors section, and is in stock.

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...5/HK-4025-550/

good luck!