HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Thanks for your kind words
With fixed gear she flew very good, even better after a crash (I pulled her into a loop but kinda hesitated and pulled her out a little late, she stalled and broke the nose). I made 55mm mod when first building her; then I did nacelle mod when repairing from the crash. Putting retract may not be a good idea. She gained a little more than 4 oz, now at 1040g with 3s 2200mah batt.

Yes she was hanging under the ceiling most of the days; maybe half a dozen flight every one or two months, upon rotation with my fleet. Every time she was zipping through the sky and then gliding smoothly for landing, I can sense people became amazed...

I hope the added wingloading won't affect the landing. Was thinking on setting her as taidragger with retract, but not so sure about the huge angle of attack. That would be lighter and much easier to add retract, although the main gear would have to be very close to the LE, a problem of its own...

[QUOTE=Galand;25925507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
After almost two years flying my 55mm mod GWS-262, finally got time to set up a set of removable servoless retract for her.

Congratulations! The only way I get two years out of a model is to hang it on the ceiling.
I like the paint scheme and the retracts. You also did a job on the nacelles, right? Makes me want to buy another kit to replace my crashed one.
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Spend a few nights on building her or modifying and you won't regret having a good flyer in your collection. Larger foamies with more scale features might add a lot more of hassles than joy. I don't even remember how many times I have opened the twist/rotating retract for the P-40 to fix all sorts of problems. This GWS 262 even handled light wind so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
I have one nib if interested.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:18 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,132 Posts
Launch level and not at full power seems to work...

Admittedly, I was not looking forward to my third launch - the second was not altogether great, it seemed on the brink of stalling.

However, all went well, even the landing was ok. It helps to have a bit of a hill, so throwing level at less than WOT is easier, both mentally, and also should the plane sag a bit.

Me 262 GWS 7-blade good launch & landing (2 min 26 sec)

Actually, I was more relaxed because I had just ordered a new unpainted version at RC Castle, really good deal, except that shipping is high, and in Europe we pay 20% on top of that (including shipping!)

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=471

Now, a flying buddy said, why didn't you order a spare one for me, and this NIB is going to him, I will probly go for a Dynam, and make it as light as possible and try hand-launch. Before, that is, I get the courage to fly the more beautiful Freewing Me-262 which is already sitting in my apartment, NIB.

Edwen, I think the Dynam suits your description pretty well: simple, rather inexpensive, sturdy, not scale, lighter than the Freewing, and probably good for handlaunch once retracts and flap servos etc are all pulled out, no more nose weight etc. - but a bit big for transport...
Great work on your Me-262s!

great that we now have many options, it used to be just the GWS, and that is still a great (little) plane. Will have to paint it in lighter color, the dark green makes it look smaller...

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Aug 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Hi Clemens you will enjoy the Dynam 262, a bigger plane and more presence in the air.

Flight report on the retract upgraded GWS 262: Despite of the added weight I can see the speed increase. Apparently, between added weight and reduced drag, the latter weighs more and gave her a better speed. Of course a cleaner look. And with Turnigy 2627L ($9 per motor) and Exceed RC 30A esc, she is so quiet and quick, getting smaller much quicker. And I can not tell the difference for takeoff or landing before and after retract upgrade. She is much better flyer after tricycle retract. The retracts are less than 20 g from Hobbyking, around $6 per piece.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Hi Clemens you will enjoy the Dynam 262, a bigger plane and more presence in the air.

Flight report on the retract upgraded GWS 262: Despite of the added weight I can see the speed increase. Apparently, between added weight and reduced drag, the latter weighs more and gave her a better speed. Of course a cleaner look. And with Turnigy 2627L ($9 per motor) and Exceed RC 30A esc, she is so quiet and quick, getting smaller much quicker. And I can not tell the difference for takeoff or landing before and after retract upgrade. She is much better flyer after tricycle retract. The retracts are less than 20 g from Hobbyking, around $6 per piece.
NIce flight report, thanks.
Now I definitely will build another one with retracts!
First finish this headache!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=sabre
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Aug 25, 2013, 03:08 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
NIce flight report, thanks.
Now I definitely will build another one with retracts!
First finish this headache!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=sabre
Headache? How so?
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
Headache? How so?
It's off topic for this thread but look at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1900045
It looks gorgeous but....
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Sep 02, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Some flight shot by Ron Keith:
http://www.circlecityfliers.com/images/pics090113/

The GWS airframes are just that good. While we tend to go for more showpiece in the air: scale detail, full function, bigger presence in the air, even engine/machinegun sound, bomb drop... GWS planes are one of the few truly enjoyable flying and adaptable for modification, especially the performance/price ratio .

An example of "bigger but not that better", FMS P-40 in my trunk after only one flight (ended with one main gear fail upon landing):
http://www.circlecityfliers.com/imag...3/image025.htm

P.S. After building and flying GWS 15, I am now seriously thinking about cutting down the wings to make her more scale.

Quote:

Last edited by edwen303; Sep 02, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:17 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
214 Posts
My GWS 262 is one of my favorite powered planes. It's a little beat up but still flies great.

I just ordered an almost complete plane from closeout parts at bphobbies. They have 3 parts sets covering all foam and plastic parts. The total was about $27, plus 8 postage.
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
Old Nov 09, 2013, 09:21 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
214 Posts
Got my order from bp. The three parts sets were more complete than expected from the site descriptions. Also included were ducts, fans, wheels, all hardware, plywood parts.
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
Old Nov 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Guess the news spread fast: just checked the BP Hobbies website and all the GWS Me-262 items are out of stock. Auf wiedersehen, little buddy.
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
I have one nib if anyone wants it. Powered version.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
Quote:
I have one nib if anyone wants it. Powered version.
$$??
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
$$??
Send me an offer. Factor in two fantastic turnigy inrunners making 500 watts if you like.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:27 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
Quote:
Send me an offer. Factor in two fantastic turnigy inrunners making 500 watts if you like.
Probably have to pass. Need an airframe for my existing motors.

Thanks
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe