SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:16 AM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Got too excited with Himax motors too soon...

I know there's been a thread about problems with the Himax 2015-4100 and the CC Phoenix 25 ESC but mine's quite stranged. I bought a Mamba combo from NESAIL that includes the Pheonix ESC and it worked like a charm on whichever of the 3 ratio and with diff. sizes prop. So I'm really happy with it. Then I decided to buy my first Himax 2015-4100 and installed to the same Himax gearbox, same ESC and prop and guess what, it shook so violently and almost got out of my hand! What the heck is going on? Is it the motor incompatibilty issue going on here? Took the Himax motor out of the gear box and installed back my Mamba motor and it worked fine!!!! Is it the Pheonix 25 ESC or is it the Himax motor???? Please help!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:59 AM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Try running the motor and gearbox combonation without the prop. If it shakes it is more than likely the prop causing it. I am not there so I can't examine it. Just trying to help you troublshoot the problem here. If the prop is off center or out of balance you will have that problem.

I am using the same motor and the blue aluminum gearbox. I am not having any problems with it. I did change out the stock shaft and installed a GWS shaft to do some comparisons between the APC SF props and the GWS props. Another thing to check is make sure the break is off. Mine will sputter a bit if I try to advance the throttle slowly. I give it a pump of throttle to get the prop spinning, reduce throttle and then start advancing. This all happens within a second or so.

Hope this helps.
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:51 PM
Gardena, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
736 Posts
I had that problem with an E-Flite 370 motor. I used soft start instead of softest start and it seemed to get rid of the problem. My friend had that problem with a 2025-5300 and we upgraded the software in his CC25 and it got rid of the problem. Good luck.
RandyT is offline Find More Posts by RandyT
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Iwadmin/Randy- Thanks for the response- the problem is I don't even know anything about software upgrades, etc. downloading something, I e-mailed Sean of Castle Creation after I found his e-mail address when he responded to one of the complainers in the "Himax motor/Castle creations problems thread" and hoping he could replace or fix my problem for me. I would definitely try your advise to try running the Himax motor and gearbox w/out any prop. Post my result later. Thanks again.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:36 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I had the same problem with a E-flight 370-4100. Updating the software fixed it.

You need to buy a PHX-link which hooks the control to your, you download (for free) the version 1.07 Phoenix software, hook up your controller and follow the instruction. The link also allows you to EASILY set all the ESC parameters.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:17 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Brother has the same issue with the 2015 CC25 combo on his Tribute. Almost rips the nose off it at startup sometimes. It is well documented that the CC25 has issues with these motors. Some say propping down solves it but the real answer I believe is like Pinecone said. Update the software and it should be fine. I think the larger props cause it to balk at initial spinup and it then sets up some kind of harmonic feedback to the controller with each lashing back and forth of the prop. My little theory is based partially on my electronics background and simply observing the motor when it goes in to it's fits of rage which seem to become exponential if you don't back off it. This also creates a massive increase in current pulled and will frap your controller if sustained for long.
Don't run it for very long without a prop as I understand this can over rev and cause damage as well.
I'm done. Hope this helps.
Bill
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Last edited by bildo baggins; Oct 19, 2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Thanks you all for the replies. I didn't even try it with no prop. because it shouldn't do what it did- I'm still mad that it almost hit my face when it shook so violently while holding it- with 11 x 7 prop attached! I know I should have mounted it while testing but....teach me a hard lesson too since I'm new to these more complicated brushless ESC, expect the unexpected!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:13 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Poor connections in the wiring from the ESC to the motor will cause severe jumping/stuttering.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:25 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,404 Posts
Are you using the original connectors or did you remove them?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:49 PM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Greg/Hoppy- thanks fellas for the replies and yes, the connections are all original, soldered right right down to the heat shrink! Like I said- it works like a charm with my Mamba 20mm brushless on a Himaxx gearbox, 6.6 to 1 ratio and 11 x 7 prop controlled by CC phoenix 25 ESC! But as soon as I replace my Mamba motor with my Himaxx 2015-4100, it did what it did! My issue is we shouldn't have to be dealing with programming the darn thing- it should be a plug and play specially for people like us who's in transition from brushed to brushless set-up for the first time! Still
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:08 AM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
I am using a 11X4.7 until I get the Phoenix Link to change the programming.

12X6 about ripped the motor out of the foamy, 11X4.7 helped considerably.
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:02 AM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Don't get discouraged! That little motor has a lot of power and will be a blast in the wright plane. Let Castle Creations take care of your situation. They have a great team of support people there.

When a maker of electronics puts out a product. The product is loaded with programing called firmware. Kinda like software for your computer. Except it's not on a disk, it's in a chip in the ESC. When an ESC maker upgrades their firmware to make their ESC's control more types of motors, the new ESC's off the assymbly line get it. Meanwhile the one we baught last year on the one that has been waiting for a new owner at the hobby shop has not got the updated firmware. Therefore the firmware update needs to be uploaded to the ESC.

You have to get the ESC to CC or you can buy the update kit which you can hook up to your computer and do it yourself. If you are not comfortable doing this. You can send it back to CC and they will take care of it for you.

I hope this is of some help.
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:17 AM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Thanks much Iwadmin for your reply- I got hold of CC's Shawn's e-mail address when he replied in one of the thread concerning glitches/shake/rock and roll I call it and offer help- so I'm still holding on to his words!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:20 AM
Gardena, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
736 Posts
I have 6 phoenix's (3 heli's, 3 planes) and the phoenix link is priceless when it comes to programming. No need to worry about listening to beeps. It might be frustrating at first, but all the programming is necessary, plug and play would be nice but you would then have to purchase ESC for each different application you want to use it on. For example, if your running NiMh's now and want to switch to LiPo's, you would have to buy another ESC, not cost effective. Good luck.
RandyT is offline Find More Posts by RandyT
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:39 PM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
RandyT- Thanks for the reply- Believe me, I'm trying to absorb everything you guys sends my way! I'm new to all these technicalities and don't wanna mess up my first brushless ESC, motor, etc. -It ain't cheap!