HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Discussion
Klingberg "Rocket Wing" what do ya know?

Hey now,
I just got a pair of Rocket Wing kits. Im psyched to get and build these. Ive wanted aboost glider for many years now and here I've got two.
im wondering if anyone's built one of these and has and tips or thoughts on them before I dig in.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2014, 03:20 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,734 Posts
oooh nice, what size engines?
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Dec 06, 2014, 01:05 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
They're 51" span, balsa build and look a bit like a Zagi. They suggest a D-11p to start and E series after. Should be a nifty quick burst of speed. It'll be something to hang on to during tge thrust stage...
RobII
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:27 AM
Yoder, Indiana PROUDLY USA
Joined Dec 1996
108 Posts
I have built and flown both the original Klingberg wing glider as well as the Rocket wing. I tried the rocket wing with B and C motors, but that's just because I was cheap. As you'd expect, the takeoff wasn't much. I eventually converted the pod to an electric motor and enjoyed it all the same. D and E's would be fun! But just a word of warning.... The Klingberg wing airfoils are set up very efficiently, and they fly well. They are built on a jig so that as you proceed from root to tip, the chord line provides an increasing amount of washout. It makes for a very nice flying wing, and very stable, but as I noticed on both the 2M Wing and the Rocket Wing, the faster you go, the more "down elevator" compensation is needed. The built in wing reflex causes a pitch-up with higher speeds.

I'm not sure if you are planning on launching straight up (not advised), or at a 45 degree angle. (Igniting in straight flight would be fun, but we all know that's against AMA flight and rocket codes..). But for the pitch-up issue mentioned above, I'd strongly advise more along the 45 degree angle approach for first launches.

Good luck!
Pat Mattes is offline Find More Posts by Pat Mattes
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
And this is why I'm asking questions and reading the manual repeatedly.
they say I want a triple rail launch pad and a maximum launch angle of seventy degrees. It goes on with ways to set what seems like a lot of down elevator for the thrust period of flight. Gradually reducing as the motor burns out and speed decreases. So I'm aware of tge "problem" and have some idea how to deal with it. But much thanks for the confirmation. It really helps.
RobII
Old Dec 10, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 1996
108 Posts
Let's just say I had full down elevator and it was still climbing at full throttle....!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:29 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Yeah baby!!!
Um, sorry. Got carried away. The manual says just that so again confirmation eases the stress. Im getting psyched about this one.
RobII
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:05 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,022 Posts
[QUOTE=Pat Mattes;30136754]
(Igniting in straight flight would be fun, but we all know that's against AMA flight and rocket codes..). .

Good luck![/QUOTE

Where does it say that Pat? I've done it and don't see anything prohibiting it.

Quote:
i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that creates ahazard to persons or property.
Exceptions:

Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.

Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets may
be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft

Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to
use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Progr
am Document.
(AMA Document #718
Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:13 PM
Joined Dec 1996
108 Posts
Hi Azarr! Good to hear (see) your voice!

NMRSC prevents you from launching less than 30 degree from vertical. This is how I remember it from years ago and its still in play as far as I know. Sure, with permission or as an Air Show Team, but for the average Joe, no, I read it as a big no...

Not that I'm fighting you on this, I'd like to see it opened up for JATO type stuff! Just relating what I understood the rules to be...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:56 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Mattes View Post
Hi Azarr! Good to hear (see) your voice!

NMRSC prevents you from launching less than 30 degree from vertical. This is how I remember it from years ago and its still in play as far as I know. Sure, with permission or as an Air Show Team, but for the average Joe, no, I read it as a big no...

Not that I'm fighting you on this, I'd like to see it opened up for JATO type stuff! Just relating what I understood the rules to be...
Hi Pat,

I keep meaning to get back up your way, maybe next summer, it would be good to fly with you again.

The way I've always read the NMR Safety code is that that applies to launch only since the 30deg off vertical is covered under their launch procedures.

However, there does seem to be a disconnect in the AMA Safety code which says in one place, no gaseous boost and in another that rockets up to G can be used as long as they stay attached. No where does it say that you can only use it during launch and I've never interpreted it that way.

For my own knowledge I'm going to ask for clarification on this.

Azarr

EDIT: I fired off an email to Ilona Maine, The Knower of All Things Safety Code Related, I'll post her answer.
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Yesterday at 04:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
the more "down elevator" compensation is needed. The built in wing reflex causes a pitch-up with higher speeds.
wingerkin is offline Find More Posts by wingerkin