HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Nicesky F-4U Corsair SLT Review

Hobbico has a new line of planes from Nicesky available from Tower Hobbies. In this review we take a look at the Corsair.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 26.8"
Weight: 9.4 oz. RTF
Length: 22"
Servos: Three 9-gram servos
Transmitter: Tactic 650
Receiver: Tactic TR624 SLT receiver
Battery: 7.4V 600-800 mAh 15-25C
Motor: 2000kV Brushless
ESC: 12A Brushless ESC with BEC
Manufacturer: Nicesky
Available From: Tower Hobbies and Finer Hobby Stores Everywhere
Price: $159.96 Transmitter Ready
Price: $129.99 ARF With SLT Receiver

The first time I heard or read of Nicesky was when Tower Hobbies first posted three of their planes as: "Coming Soon." Two of the planes were general aviation planes (The Beaver and the D and those planes come with both wheels and floats). The third plane is the Corsair F-4U that is the subject of this review. When I learned I was going to review this plane I went searching the internet to find out more about the company NiceSky and the plane. I learned the company has been around at least five years old and is located in China. Its product line up has several general aviation planes, four World War II fighters and several EDF jets. I found a 2012 video of the Corsair in which the plane was shown to have a large cockpit for the small plane with good interior access. It has one servo for the two ailerons and servos for the elevator and rudder. In the video it appears to be flying nicely but the clips of flight were all relatively short which is common practice in many promotional videos.

The good news I took from what I found is that the company has been around for awhile and the Corsair appears to fly nicely. There is only one version, it’s only available as a SLT compatible version, no battery, no transmitter, just Tactic receiver installed. I will be using my Tactic 650 transmitter with 20 model memory which I like very much and previously reviewed: Tactic 650 Review.

From the video the plane appears to be a fairly nice stand off scale Corsair with nice lines, a four blade propeller, the mid fuselage antenna mast, molded panel lines and nice air intakes. With those basics covered lets get into the review.

ARF Kit Contents

The ARF Kit Contains

• One piece foam wing with aileron servo
  • Fuselage with two servos, brushless motor, ESC and Tactic TR624 SLT receiver
  • Brushless motor installed
  • Brushless ESC installed
  • Tactic TR624 SLT receiver installed
  • Display Stand
  • Instruction Manual

Additional Items Required for ARF Kit

• 4-channel or more SLT transmitter
  • Electrifly LiPo Battery 7.4V 600mAh 25C
  • Balanced LiPo charger

Assembly

The main components came already completed with the electronics installed. Only some very minor final assembly was required.

Wing

One piece wing came with aileron servo installed and connected to both servos. No assembly required.

Fuselage

Came with the tail feathers installed and connected to the two installed servos for the elevator and rudder. Brushless motor and ESC came installed in the fuselage along with the receiver. Even the four blade propeller came already installed. No Assembly required.

Completion

Completion involved bolting the wing to the fuselage and installing the flight battery so that the plane is properly balanced on the C/G and powered. For the wing I first removed the cockpit hatch cover so I could see above the wing saddle. I inserted the aileron servo wire through the bottom of the wing saddle and up to the top area where the receiver is located. I inserted the two plastic pins on the front of the wing into the holes for them in the fuselage at the front of the wing saddle. I pushed the wing up flat into the wing saddle. I took a pencil with an eraser and positioned it so the eraser was on top of the nut in a plastic mount in front of the servos. (This was done to prevent the bolt from possibly dislodging the nut when I installed the bolt.) I installed the bolt through the bottom of the wing and pushed it up against the nut. Using the supplied screwdriver I screwed the bolt into the nut and thereby secured the wing into the fuselage. Then I plugged the aileron wire into channel 1 on the receiver.

With the wing attached I slid the 2-cell 600mAh Electrifly battery into the battery compartment in the front of the cockpit area. I moved the battery until the plane balanced 40 mm behind the leading edge of the wing as recommended in the manual for the proper C/G. With that position determined I used a little bit of the included hook and loop material placing some on the battery pack and some in the fuselage on the back edge of the battery compartment which allowed for the proper battery position to balance the plane on the recommended C/G.

REVIEWER'S NOTE

The included electronic speed controller has a Dean's Micro connector on it and the Electrifly LiPo battery sold separately that I am using came with a matching Dean's Micro connector. I have a close up picture of the battery and the ESC's connectors below.

With my Tactic 650 transmitter on I plugged in the battery to the ESC and using the end of a bent paperclip I pushed the bind button on the receiver and seconds later the Corsair was bound to my transmitter. I had to reverse the direction on the elevator servo and the throttle. With the battery charged it was time to go fly.

When not flying, the Corsair can be displayed on the included two piece display stand. That stand snaps together and fits into a black mount in the bottom of the fuselage.

Flying

Basics

The plane has ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle control. I found basic flying in low rates and half throttle to be easy and enjoyable. Using a mix of aileron and 25% rudder allowed for nice scale appearing turns. She can fly pretty slow as well as pretty fast. i just don't recommend slamming her from slow flight to fast flight as i felt some torque to the left and restrained my self for that reason. there is some nice slow basic flight at the end of the demonstration video. Flight time depends on your throttle control. I fly mixing up my speeds and always got five minute flights with battery to spare. I have two identical batteries for her so i can get at least two flights back to back. I recommend getting at least one if not more batteries for this plane as she is fun to fly.

Taking Off and Landing

The plane has no landing gear so all flights start with a toss and for me end in a slid on the grass. Flights for this review have been at two local parks and my club's flying field and all flights started by tossing the plane straight forward and level into any existing breeze with about 1/2 to 2/3s throttle. I recommend that NO more than 2/3s throttle be used because I could feel the plane pulling to my left from motor torque when I was holding it and applying more throttle. For that reason I give only between 1/2 to 2/3s throttle when I toss the plane. That is sufficient speed for this plane to fly. It lets her get up some air speed and air flowing over her wing and the control surfaces before increasing the throttle. With a fully charged battery she starts to climb immediately. When I have both hands on the transmitter I apply more throttle to build up air speed and avoid risking a torque roll to the left. I also use low rates for launching as the plane is very responsive on high rates and definitely responsive enough for solid control on low rates.

Landings are made with a three leg approach: down wind, cross wind and then turn onto final into any existing breeze and doing a slight flair before sliding to a stop on the grass in front of me. Because the plane is so light I have limited my flying to days with a breeze at or below 10 miles per hour. Soft grass is my preferred surface to land on and my landings are really a short controlled crash with a slight flair to get the nose up before going into the grass. The flair is to help protect the propeller and I have the motor totally off before I go into the very slight flair. I want the nose just slightly up as a result of my flair. I don't want her to stall and fall on her nose.

The propeller lost a blade when hitting a rock on a landing. I got a replacement propeller. It was easy to install and looks and works as good as the original. The propeller performs fine in the air and has done fine on slide landings in the grass. The four blade propeller looks stand off scale and gives good power and speed for this plane. As we all know propellers can break and as stated above I broke one on a rock. I expect the current one to continue to work well for a long time to come but I have a new back-up. I have back-up propellers for 95% of my planes. FYI: I hit the rock pretty hard as it jarred the pilot loose.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

This plane has four channel control and can probably do any aerobatics you would see a warbird perform. Loops large and small, fast and medium speed loops are easy to perform. A series of rolls over the field look nice and sharp. I can fly a ring of rolls around the field. Tail slides can be performed thanks to the working rudder. Using a combination of aileron and rudder make for smoother more scale like turns. She will turn just using the right stick with no rudder. The plane is responsive at low rates and can be almost wickedly responsive at high rates and high speed with a too fast thumb. That said I had no trouble controlling her when flying her. I found her a lot of fun to fly. I recommend that even experienced pilots go easy and get some altitude before slamming the stick around and seeing just how responsive she can be.

Is This For a Beginner?

No! I recommend this plane for an intermediate or better pilots. I do not recommend it for a true beginner. It is very responsive and many beginners would accidently over control this plane. But once a beginner becomes a pilot they can have a lot of fun with this Corsair.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Nicesky Corsair Demo Video (2 min 28 sec)

Conclusion

The plane was fully assembled before the flight battery pack was fully charged with both processes starting at the same time. The plane is stand off scale and looks very nice displayed in my office on a shelf. I think she looks even better in the air as seen in the pictures above. With this small plane I didn't mind the lack of landing gear because she looks so nice in the air without any gear. The two cell battery pack supplied plenty of power and the brushless motor pulls the plane around the sky with authority. A quick sporty Corsair fighter plane that is aerobatic and fun to fly at the local park. She is very light so I haven't tried to fly her in heavy wind but she handled light wind very well. I expect that this plane will be well received and the three other fighter planes in Nice Sky's existing air force may also see our shores at some point in the future. For now I am enjoying this Corsair. Flight times depend on throttle use obviously. I have been going for five minute flights and have had juice to spare.

Jeff Hunter who flew her so I could shoot the video and take stills found her very responsive and went easy with her so he wouldn't shoot up out of the picture on me.

Pluses & Minuses

Pluses

• Nice stand off scale appearance
  • Quick final assembly
  • Easy to transport and store
  • Receiver included and installed
  • Spare propellers are in stock at Tower Hobby
  • Extra batteries are available

Minuses

• No landing gear available with the plane
  • With no wheels the propeller is exposed to potential breakage if landing on a hard uneven surface such as rocks.

Thanks

My thanks to Nice Sky and Tower Hobbies for supplying this plane for review. My thanks to my friend's Dick Andersen and Jeff Hunter for their assistance with this review and to our editor.

Last edited by Angela H; Nov 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM..

Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:47 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
This space reserved by author for possible additions.

The conclusion has been corrected to show brushless motor Thanks seeingeyegod (See below) for the catch.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Nov 18, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 03:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
I think you meant to say brushless motor, not brushed in the conclusion paragraph :P
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:31 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,762 Posts
Looks like the same manufacturer that made the Zero for Eflite. Why did they bother with the scale prop which broke anyway? The torque issue could be easily solved with a two blade which wouldn't be as sucseptible to breaking with a belly lander like this. If it flies as good as the Zero and has less preflight issues it should be a great little plane. At $129.00 it is certainly a better bargain then the overpriced Eflite planes for this category.

The packaging gave me a chuckle. The background looks more like what should be on a Zero box then a Corsair. Pear Harbor December 7, 1941. Corsair wasn't even operational let alone a participant.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Nov 18, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:45 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,352 Posts
Motion Rc carries Nicesky but they dont have the Corsair yet

http://www.motionrc.com/nicesky/
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:49 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Looks like the same manufacturer that made the Zero for Eflite. Why did they bother with the scale prop which broke anyway? The torque issue could be easily solved with a two blade which wouldn't be as sucseptible to breaking with a belly lander like this. If it flies as good as the Zero and has less preflight issues it should be a great little plane. At $129.00 it is certainly a better bargain then the overpriced Eflite planes for this category.

The packaging gave me a chuckle. The background looks more like what should be on a Zero box then a Corsair. Pear Harbor December 7, 1941. Corsair wasn't even operational let alone a participant.
Any prop would break if it hit a rock
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:30 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
Yes any prop would break if it hit a rock and I hit a rock and proved it. I reported it and tried to make the facts clear and that the other landings in grass without rocks have been fine. If it stops one person from trying to fly at a rock filled area I consider it right to have included it in the report. If it stops someone from buying and flying the plane I have not accomplished what I wanted to convey unless they only have rocky fields to fly at. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:59 PM
I need more SWAG!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
186 Posts
From the photos... This looks very reminiscent of the O.G. Parkzone warbirds. Single aileron servo, ease of assembly, belly lander only... Ahh the memories
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Old Nov 22, 2014, 02:17 PM
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
247 Posts
Thank you for your review. It was very informative.
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Nov 24, 2014, 04:38 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
Thanks Robert! After a rainy and windy weekend I was able to fly today during my lunch break in nice sunny calm conditions. As I was flying a pair of Greyhounds arrived at the park and they were off leash and very interested in the plane. When it was time to land I lead the dogs to the far end of the field and then made a dash back to myself and landed the Corsair at my feet. I grabbed the plane before they got to me. This is the second time I have had to play this game with these dogs as I did it a few years ago at another park about a mile away. The plane did a circle of rolls around the park at the beginning of the flight. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
Thanks Robert! After a rainy and windy weekend I was able to fly today during my lunch break in nice sunny calm conditions. As I was flying a pair of Greyhounds arrived at the park and they were off leash and very interested in the plane. When it was time to land I lead the dogs to the far end of the field and then made a dash back to myself and landed the Corsair at my feet. I grabbed the plane before they got to me. This is the second time I have had to play this game with these dogs as I did it a few years ago at another park about a mile away. The plane did a circle of rolls around the park at the beginning of the flight. Mike H
I'm glad that we have a leash law here in our area, otherwise I may be experiencing that same issue when I start flying. Otherwise it sounds like that you had a rather pleasant experience flying on your lunch break. I am a huge fan of the F4U Corsair, ever since I was a kid, and anytime that I even hear about one in the air i get all excited like a kid in the candy aisle.
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:06 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,654 Posts
This may be a rebranded Sonic Model Corsair
http://www.sonicmodell.com/en/produc...PSid=21&id=113
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Dec 06, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1 Posts
Nice Sky F4U Corsair

All-

I got one of these on sale, now they are selling for $49.99 at Value Hobby

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...i-f4u-pnp.html

It needed about four quarters taped to the cowl to balance right with my TP 2S 900 and then I had to replace the aileron servo (as the one it shipped with would not center. I also had to put silicone spray lubricant on the servo control wires - but after all this it seemed to work fine.

Before fixing the ailerons (but with nose weight) it flew well. The perfect opponent for the Eflight Zero (280 size).
skirmishcampaign is offline Find More Posts by skirmishcampaign