HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2014, 07:51 PM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Build Log
Joysway Magic Cat, Litehawk Chase, Pro Boat Blackjack 9 mod thread

Since my Joysway was rtr and had its own transmitter I decided to order a spare hull to build a high power version on my Flysky instead of wasting half my Joysway parts on a quest for more speed.Any motor recommendations?I spent the extra coin on 2 flex shafts..My hull came in a Tamiya box, I wonder if there's a connection there?
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:11 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,400 Posts
its just so cute...I want one!
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Aug 04, 2014, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit View Post
its just so cute...I want one!
I was going to upgrade this one, but after digging through my parts box I have everything needed to build it except a prop.Its perfect for people wanting to use up old aircraft parts or something.

I have a Redcat Sumo motor, miniq esc, old broken aluminum antenna for a stuffing tube.I'll mod whatever wears out first, but for now I'll at least be able to race these boats together.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:35 PM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Progress, I decided to use this boat to experiment with my tubing idea.I just need to buy a prop, finish the tube and make a male servo plug to keep water out of the accesory outlet when I'm not tubing.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:50 AM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
The Redcat motor/Miniq esc is a couple mph faster.I was lucky enough to get a crystal clear video of a barrel roll! The video has been pending on YouTube all night unfortunately, but I got a screenshot to prove it actually barrel rolled in the video I will be posting tomorrow.

Oh Yea I learned something really important today.These little cats don't have reverse for a reason, they submarine in reverse lol my jaw dropped for a second tonight when I punched it in reverse and didn't see the boat again for 5-10 seconds.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Youtube finally approved my video.I haven't been able to use all of the Redcat motors power, it starts hopping around 1/2 power and flips around 3/4.

Home built Litehawk Chase (0 min 33 sec)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:08 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
522 Posts
Motor cooling.

Here's my mod I've done to my Proboat Blackjack 9.Since I switched to running 600mah 2s lipo packs I was having trouble with the motor overheating.I bought a Helimax 180 motor size clip-on type heatsink.I drilled a hole to slip a short section of brass tubing through for the water cooling lines.I made sure the hole was drilled so the brass tubing was sitting flat on the top section of the heatsink.I hade to do a little filing on the front of the heatsink for the canopy to fit properly.Seems to have cured my heating issues.
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltz400 View Post
Here's my mod I've done to my Proboat Blackjack 9.Since I switched to running 600mah 2s lipo packs I was having trouble with the motor overheating.I bought a Helimax 180 motor size clip-on type heatsink.I drilled a hole to slip a short section of brass tubing through for the water cooling lines.I made sure the hole was drilled so the brass tubing was sitting flat on the top section of the heatsink.I hade to do a little filing on the front of the heatsink for the canopy to fit properly.Seems to have cured my heating issues.
Thanks for posting, those are great looking boats.Good idea with the cooling mod also.

That's the best pictures I've seen of the Blackjack 9, people have a habit of just posting comments without pictures so I appreciate the quality photos.Its alot different then i was expecting, I might have to order a hull from Pro Boat sometime now lol.

I forgot to mention I used longer aluminum rudder mounts for a ft007 on my Litehawk.Its rudder is about 1/4" further off the transom with them and it seems to turn slightly sharper then my Joysway.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 05:42 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
522 Posts
I got a brand new Proboat BlackJack 9 I'll sell ya for $65 plus S&H.I ran one battery pack through it to make sure it functions.I did the heatsink mod to it like the one in my previous post.Also changed the plugs to deans connectors.Thats a steal.Includes everything in the box.Hit me up if your interested! Don't need 3 mini boats.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:17 PM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Quote:
I got a brand new Proboat BlackJack 9 I'll sell ya for $65 plus S&H.I ran one battery pack through it to make sure it functions.I did the heatsink mod to it like the one in my previous post.Also changed the plugs to deans connectors.Thats a steal.Includes everything in the box.Hit me up if your interested! Don't need 3 mini boats.
I'll think about it and keep it in mind, I know its a good deal but Im trying to move up to mini's.I have bad eyes and once these things are 20' from the dock I can't judge water conditions very well for the 9" cats.

I was just packing my micros into a small backpack to make it easy getting them to the lake.But now that I'm working on a Springer Tug I think I'm going to invest in a wagon to tow behind my Summit so I can start hauling mini size boats as easily as I have been the micros.

Right now my plans/hopes are building a Zippkits Mini Sprint so I have a high speed mini, a Aquacraft Mini Mono brushless because the Indy Admirals have a race class for them and I found what looks like a rebrand of the Mad Shark.Id love a Blackjack 9 but I can't even afford the generic Mad Shark right now lol, its going to be a long wait for next spring since I'll be getting into fast electrics about the time lakes start freezing.

Since I mentioned the generic tunnel hull I might as well post more info.It has a water cooled 370, 2.4gh Tx, and a 7.4v 800mah lipo.It looks like a great deal for $40

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_185794.html
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Take a really close look at the color of the hull and the shape of the stickers on the windows, those 2 boats look very similar to me.I've never built a flood chamber before so I'm thinking the boat I pictured earlier will be a great boat for me to mess around with long term instead of buying a nicer tunnel hull.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:53 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
522 Posts
!!!

Installed one of these xtreme pro 180 helimax motors in my Blackjack 9 tonight.This boat is extremely quick for such a small boat.Running 2s 600 packs.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:40 PM
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Are you still running the stock 2 blade prop?I haven't seen anyone compare the BJ9's 2 blade prop to the 3 blade props I've been running.I was talking to a guy about them on RCU and they are both 20mm props with 2.5ish mm holes.

If you want to try it then I can confirm the Magic Cat, Litehawk and Steerix 9 props are identical, just try whatever you can buy the cheapest.

I had the same result with speed though after I installed the Redcat 180 and Miniz esc in the litehawk.Did you just change motors?I'm not sure if my extra power came from the esc or motor.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:22 AM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
522 Posts
Yes running the stock prop.My buddy & his son have the joys way magic cat.Although they are quick the BJ9 is a tad quicker and handles much better.There is no adjustment on the magic cat.The BJ9 has three alum trim tabs you can play with to dial it in.Still running stock esc with the pro 180 motor.I am amazed at how much faster the boat is with this $10 motor.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2014
1 Posts
Quote:
Yes running the stock prop.My buddy & his son have the joys way magic cat.Although they are quick the BJ9 is a tad quicker and handles much better.There is no adjustment on the magic cat.The BJ9 has three alum trim tabs you can play with to dial it in.Still running stock esc with the pro 180 motor.I am amazed at how much faster the boat is with this $10 motor.
Where did you find the Pro 180 motor?
Have you done an RPM test on this, or the original, motor to see how much faster it spins than the stock motor?
scottswierenga is offline Find More Posts by scottswierenga