SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Hi OkiThumper- Carlsbad Caverns... that's it! I've got 'mind warp' for my body is here but I don't know where the mind is! Post a pic of the Gilbert- never seen one. Heck, there's a lot I ain't seen! lol
Jim Kraft- excellent photo of your excellent RM flying inverted!
George- very nice RM. Put a tank on that bird and fire it up! Boil that nylon prop(?) first!
JKinTX- welcome to the 'mind warp' club!
TheKiwi- no better time than now to build your first full sized RM...and... have a build log here and on 'The Brotherhood of the Ring' site!

I found my 'pet'! I was digging thru my box of Cox engine stuff when I found another box with autogyro stuff which had the O.S. Pet 099 in it. Lord knows why I put it in there! I never got the LA engine to run properly so didn't get the Junior up for the 'Fly-A-Thon'. I have since re-engined it with the Pet. Now I can make a bigger tank but I need some nose weight, too. I am soooo happy to have found my Pet. It is one of the engines I've had since a kid. Well, young kid since I'm still a kid... just old!

Thanks, been there a few years now.
Have a minty Pet .09 sitting in one of the motor drawers, very sweet little motor, light too!
The Gilberts were made on contract by Hi Johnson of Dynamic Models and Johnson Combat motors fame.
There is nothing at all really wrong with them, they just don't have a lot of power for the size, but they weren't intended to. Main goal was simple and easy starting.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Last edited by JKinTX; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
"Post a pic of the Gilbert- never seen one. Heck, there's a lot I ain't seen! lol"

Go here:

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/phantom.html

The silver X-AJ one has an .11 complete with the factory twin mufflers sitting in the nose.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:43 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
"Post a pic of the Gilbert- never seen one. Heck, there's a lot I ain't seen! lol" Go here:

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/phantom.html

The silver X-AJ one has an .11 complete with the factory twin mufflers sitting in the nose.

That's it. Nice looking model, with those elliptical wings seems a shame they don't have one painted up as a Supermarine Spitfire!

As requested, here's pictures of the .11 and .07 Gilberts.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post

That's it. Nice looking model, with those elliptical wings seems a shame they don't have one painted up as a Supermarine Spitfire!

As requested, here's pictures of the .11 and .07 Gilberts.
Yep! It's a sideport and along with the Fox .09 Rocket, the last of the line- American mass production anyway.
The East German Jena .06 probably was made a year or so later, but the intake tube is in the front rather than the rear.

The KK Phantom has a long history- the original plans show a Mills 1.3 (another sideport).
I have intent to build one soon for one of my Mills, I will do it up in the Supermarine factory blue and silver racing colours they used on the S6B floatplane.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos! The Gilberts are pretty neat! I like that KK Phantom, I'll have to give Black Hawk Models a looksee!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:24 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
...Post a pic of the Gilbert- never seen one. Heck, there's a lot I ain't seen! lol
Here are some AC Gilberts. All are .07 except the top center one which is an .11. I had to borrow the prop washer, thrust washer, and prop nut from a Fox steel fin to run it. That's the way it came from a yard sale.

Quote:
I found my 'pet'! I was digging thru my box of Cox engine stuff when I found another box with autogyro stuff which had the O.S. Pet 099 in it. Lord knows why I put it in there! I never got the LA engine to run properly so didn't get the Junior up for the 'Fly-A-Thon'. I have since re-engined it with the Pet. Now I can make a bigger tank but I need some nose weight, too. I am soooo happy to have found my Pet. It is one of the engines I've had since a kid. Well, young kid since I'm still a kid... just old!
Which version Pet do you have?

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for posting the photos! The Gilberts are pretty neat! I like that KK Phantom, I'll have to give Black Hawk Models a looksee!
There is a smaller version too which was for Mills .75 and similar, the plans are about. Original version of both had open cockpit, can be built either way.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:06 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Quote:
Yep! It's a sideport and along with the Fox .09 Rocket, the last of the line- American mass production anyway.
The East German Jena .06 probably was made a year or so later, but the intake tube is in the front rather than the rear.

The KK Phantom has a long history- the original plans show a Mills 1.3 (another sideport).
I have intent to build one soon for one of my Mills, I will do it up in the Supermarine factory blue and silver racing colours they used on the S6B floatplane.
JK,

I'm not sure about the colour of the S6B, but they certainly did a Spitfire in blue & Silver

It would look great on a Phantom

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Hi George- I have the Pet III 099. I got a discount from its original price of $12.98 and still paid a whopping $11.69 in the early '70's(?). It didn't come with a muffler.
Hi JKinTx- I like the 'bubble' canopy version shown. Reminds me of those 'what if' type of things we did as kids and saw in magazines!
Hi Greg- I have that Profile Publication which shows that Spitfire in blue and silver. Very striking!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
JK,

I'm not sure about the colour of the S6B, but they certainly did a Spitfire in blue & Silver

It would look great on a Phantom

Greg
The "record Spitfire". Spiffy, I may well do that. The S6B was more silver than blue, with the blue mostly along the lower half of the fuselage.
As an aside, there was only one single "foreign" aircraft (and pilot!) to ever enter the post WW-2 Thompson Trophy races. Year and type gentlemen? Pilot too if you are good at digging up obscure facts.

See ya!

JK
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Hi OkiThumper- yes it was a 'drop-in' which was handy! That RC 099 is cool!
Hi JKinTX- Steve Thompson brought his Cassutt, 'The Empire Strikes Back', from England to win the F1 championship race in '83. Info from John Tegler's book- "Gentlemen, You Have a Race" p.392. How's that for Thompson Trophy race nerdiness!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
ARUP, now that you've completed your model, engine and all, we'll need a flight report.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
The KK Phantom has a long history- the original plans show a Mills 1.3 (another sideport). I have intent to build one soon for one of my Mills, I will do it up in the Supermarine factory blue and silver racing colours they used on the S6B floatplane.
At 21 inches and a balsa built up type model similar to Walt Musciano's, if built as a sport plane and not a racer, is .049 sized. I think my Gilbert .07 would probably be a good match for it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Hi OkiThumper- yes it was a 'drop-in' which was handy! That RC 099 is cool!
Hi JKinTX- Steve Thompson brought his Cassutt, 'The Empire Strikes Back', from England to win the F1 championship race in '83. Info from John Tegler's book- "Gentlemen, You Have a Race" p.392. How's that for Thompson Trophy race nerdiness!
Interesting, but incorrect on the Thompson, final race of the post WW-2 series was 1949 won by Cook Cleland with one of his F2G Corsairs, but there was foreign aircraft and pilot entered in one of the post War races. It has nothing to do with F1.
Last edited by JKinTX; Oct 11, 2012 at 05:54 PM.