HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
New Product
DJI - iOSD MK I, MK II and Mini & 5.8gHz Video Down Link

DJI has just introduced their iOSD for WKM. Right now it does not support Ace-One, WKH or the Naza-M. They did a slick set up video that I am not going to try and replicate.

DJI iOSD Setup Demo (8 min 47 sec)

The set up was quite simple. If you are using a Z15 there is a plug that goes from the Z15 video out to a six pin port on the iOSD. If not, the iOSD just connects to the can bus. The iOSD is switchable between two video sources, V1 & V2. To do this you will need a free 3-position switch.

DJI iOSD Feature-Support double video source input, switchable during flight (0 min 45 sec)

Mine came with the necessary leads to be able to construct a custom cable do this which is a nice feature. If you are using the DJI Video Down Link there is an 8 pin lead that connects to the vTx, if not they supply a connector that will allow you to make your own connection to your vTx. Another nice feature is that if you are using the 2.4gHz Data Link you get 3 can bus connectors on the iOSD. I have the 900mHz which has 2 but the 2.4gHz only has one. Now those users will be able to connect everything.

If you have seen the screen shots of the iOSD or the Ruling the unit that I received was just like them. There is plenty of information displayed. Artificial horizon, height, distance from home, number of satellites, voltage, voltage warning level, video channel, video input, orientation from home point, velocity in m/sec, pitch attitude and roll attitude in degrees, control mode and failsafe mode. The graphics are pretty simple right now but the iOSD has a mini usb port for future updates.

DJI iOSD Feature-Real-time accurate flight data & video signal superposition (1 min 33 sec)

Mine just arrived and after a quick set up I hooked up my video goggles for a quick test. I got the OSD display but no video from my Nex5N. I checked all the connections and after several frustrating hours discovered the connector from the Z15 to the iOSD had the leads reversed. The ground was where the video was supposed to be and visa versa. After I corrected that everything was fine.

Here is the install video for the vTx/vRx combo.

DJI 5.8GHz Video Link Setup Demo (4 min 34 sec)

A few notes about the vTx/vRx combo. It is a 5.8gHz 500mw unit with a cooling fan. You change the channels on the vTx using a three position switch on your RC Tx, the same one that you use to change the video source. The vRx has a button to access the 8 channels. I do not have a 14ch RC Tx only a 9ch, so I ended up using 2 R921's and 2 JR9503's, one for RC control and one for Gimbal control. I am using a total of 16 channels to control all of the functions of the WKM and the Z15 with iOSD. The new 18 ch Dx is starting to look pretty good if you want to attempt a single operator version. I would not attempt it for anything other than the simplest of jobs.

The vTx/vRx frequencies are compatible with Foxtech but not Immersion/FatShark. I think this is unfortunate and I would like to see them offer both versions. I have a diversity ground station that now needs another vRx. Mine came with the optional antennas. These are very cool units with the CP antennas enclosed in a plastic housing. They should be very durable. They look very similar to these: http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=821. If you decide to get the Video Down Link, I would recommend getting the optional antennas or an equivalent antenna. I have switched all my FPV multi's to CP antennas and I am very happy with the result.

Since I am still using my temporary battery mount, Ace Hardware yardstick and 1/4" plpe clamps, I decided to keep it simple and made two more, one to mount the GMU and the other for the iOSD. Yes it is ghetto but it works and the pine in the yardstick is lighter than CF. I will probably do something different in the future, but it works for now. I have attached some pictures of my set up for reference.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Aug 06, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:10 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Ed,

Do you happen to know more accurately when the osd and vtx/rx will be available?
I couldn't find any mention of a release date.
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:50 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
I would say the end of this month or the first of next month. It has to be really close. Several retailers a starting to offer preorders even now.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
Australia, NSW, Mt Hutton
Joined Jul 2007
144 Posts
Any talk on it working with the Naza - assume there are issues with available ports or do you think I just need to get over it and upgrade to a WKM
Cheers
Joe
joeb56 is offline Find More Posts by joeb56
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I would say the end of this month or the first of next month. It has to be really close. Several retailers a starting to offer preorders even now.
Thank you Ed.
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
We were told the 26th of this month or around then. We have a ton paid for and just waiting for confirmation for shipment.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Good to know Robert. I am sure that this will be a popular product. Any word about the optional antennas?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
How much is it?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:05 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Tarro

The iOSD is $198 usd and the 5.8gHz vTx/vRx combo is $209 usd in NA. I don't know what it will be for the rest of the world.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:32 AM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Ed
Interesting place to mount the Vtx, the gimbal might block the Vtx signal in certain orientation, looking forward your test report. Would it better to mount on top of S800 possible on a pole higher up?
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
I was looking at transportability. If it is above the LG then there is one more connector to deal with. Right now I have the power lead to the Z15 and the can bus that have to be connected between the LG and the S800 that's it. I also looked at some of the installs that DJI did and they located the video down link on the leg.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
looking forward for your video, are you flying LOS ,only using the Vtx for camera operation or FPV all the way
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Yes, LOS and the vTx is for the camera operator. I have other less expensive craft for FPV. It takes 16 channels right now to control the S800 and the camera.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:50 PM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Hi

I have received my DJI Osd today.
But unable to work
i not have cam display
i have osd info, but not all, and all is freezed, artificial horiz ton move.

Any help please ?

I have trad chinese Tx
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:21 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
What camera are you using?
Site Sponsor