SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 08, 2014, 07:40 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
after a certain period (10 Second to 45 seconds ) the ailerons just catch in the Up/Down position
Or stuck in the foam between the two fuse halves.

Whichever, glad you found it before you flew it. I've only personally seen exactly two instances of frozen servo, one my plane and one someone else's, and those were permanently fixed (so far, several years later,) by cutting the travel to 95 or 97.

But this is the FIRST instance I've ever seen in the 8 or so UM forums that I follow of it happening to a brand new plane straight out of the box. That's a weird one. Other failures, it was as if the servo needed a kind of break in period, to fully flex itself, before it managed to run off the end of the sensor and fail.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:34 PM
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Or stuck in the foam between the two fuse halves.

Whichever, glad you found it before you flew it. I've only personally seen exactly two instances of frozen servo, one my plane and one someone else's, and those were permanently fixed (so far, several years later,) by cutting the travel to 95 or 97.

But this is the FIRST instance I've ever seen in the 8 or so UM forums that I follow of it happening to a brand new plane straight out of the box. That's a weird one. Other failures, it was as if the servo needed a kind of break in period, to fully flex itself, before it managed to run off the end of the sensor and fail.
I searched and did Read about others with the same problem that crashed So I figured being a Beginner its Best to return (Brand New) for a Full refund and Then Put the $ towards a Micro FU4 Corsair which seems to have much better aileron hardware??? Did Not want to start fixing a New Plane as a beginner!!
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:57 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
Micro FU4 Corsair which seems to have much better aileron hardware???
Nope they all use the same (with variations) hardware mounted in different fuses. All linear servos should have travel cut by a bit.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Dec 09, 2014, 05:22 AM
United States, IN, St John
Joined Mar 2011
77 Posts
I have a new t-28 and I cannot get it to fly right, everything looks trimmed perfectly on the bench, but as soon as it gets in the air all it wants to do is go round in circles !!
weedsnager is offline Find More Posts by weedsnager
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:34 AM
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
I have a new t-28 and I cannot get it to fly right, everything looks trimmed perfectly on the bench, but as soon as it gets in the air all it wants to do is go round in circles !!
The ailerons cause it to turn so that very well might be your problem?
Put it on a table with something keeping the wheels from moving and pretend your doing a flight and see if the ailerons stick after a certain amount of time.
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:03 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
447 Posts
At one point, I had a problem with aileron trim on my T28. I was fighting trimming it. Just for fun, I I took my hands off the controls, it would fly around in a fairly large circle, stably and continuously. The kind of flight behavior that free flight modelers strive for so they don't lose their planes.
Is this what your plane is doing?
My solution to that was to apply opposite trim until it flew straight and true. I did not care what was going on with the actual position of the ailerons relative to the body. It did not take long before it was flying fine.

After I crashed it a few times, it started doing it again, real bad. I could not get it to fly straight via trim. I looked at the engine mount, and the motor was pointed in a very different direction than the stock direction, so I opened it up, reglued the motor in the position it is supposed to be in.

Amazingly, this cured the problem.

Now I'm not saying this is the problem you are having. What I really think is that it can be difficult for a beginner to uncover the true cause of problems; and it might be useful to get a person experienced with PZ T28 UMX to take a look at yours and help you through this rough spot.

Regards

Regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:37 PM
United States, IN, St John
Joined Mar 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perrone View Post
At one point, I had a problem with aileron trim on my T28. I was fighting trimming it. Just for fun, I I took my hands off the controls, it would fly around in a fairly large circle, stably and continuously. The kind of flight behavior that free flight modelers strive for so they don't lose their planes.
Is this what your plane is doing?
My solution to that was to apply opposite trim until it flew straight and true. I did not care what was going on with the actual position of the ailerons relative to the body. It did not take long before it was flying fine.

After I crashed it a few times, it started doing it again, real bad. I could not get it to fly straight via trim. I looked at the engine mount, and the motor was pointed in a very different direction than the stock direction, so I opened it up, reglued the motor in the position it is supposed to be in.

Amazingly, this cured the problem.

Now I'm not saying this is the problem you are having. What I really think is that it can be difficult for a beginner to uncover the true cause of problems; and it might be useful to get a person experienced with PZ T28 UMX to take a look at yours and help you through this rough spot.

Regards

Regards
Yes...that's what it's doing.....just as you described, I can take my hand off the sticks and it'll fly itself in a circle
weedsnager is offline Find More Posts by weedsnager
Old Dec 09, 2014, 10:16 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
447 Posts
May I suggest:
1) Adjust trim until it is flying straight
2) You may not have enough trim range to do this via the Tx. If so, trim all the way, land;
3) Make a mental note or measure where your aileron is at, deflection-wise.
4) Reset Tx to neutral trim
5) Adjust trim mechanically by adjusting the u-shaped bend to the previous deflection. You are now at the spot you were upon landing, however you have all of the trim range on the Tx available to you
6) Go to step 1 and repeat

Some of this discipline is driven by a desire to end up with all trim adjustment done mechanically, rather than via the Tx. This is an issue with AS3X planes (eg, P40, P51), but NOT the T28.

Others may have better suggestions, of course.

Good luck and regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:28 PM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
817 Posts
I had a nice flight this morning with my T-28. I've not had it up lately. She's a good one. Nothing special on the video. But though I post anyway.

ParkZone T-28 UMX Mission 1 (7 min 17 sec)

Jack
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Recent UMX flights.