HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
Registered User
kbuzz1's Avatar
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Dec 2010
63 Posts
Marketing strategies that get me an $80 airframe are ok by me.
kbuzz1 is offline Find More Posts by kbuzz1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:43 PM
Registered User
xxxcellarator's Avatar
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
true true true
xxxcellarator is online now Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
Registered User
Hungary, Borsod-Aba˙j-ZemplÚn, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
171 Posts
Hi! I recently bought a Funjet and threw together a setup. Flightmax 3s 2200mAh 25C, PowerHD 40A esc, HxT 2836 2700KV inrunner and Graupner 5x5 speed prop. Flies beautyfully. The setup wasn't expensive and it's a blast in the air.
To those who automatically bash anything cheap and non top of the line, this is a FUNjet. It was designed to be fun. The super quality cutting edge parts aren't necessary outside of competition use. Those who can afford it can use them anywhere, but it's not necessary to buy expensive parts to have fun on the field.
Just to blow your wigs off, I use a Turnigy 9X
Sterby is offline Find More Posts by Sterby
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
Runnikee's Avatar
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Went to maiden my FunJet tonight and found something out. On a 4S setup, a 6x3 prop does not, I repeat DOES NOT have enough ass behind it to keep this in the air. Launched vertically and it would go up, do the torque roll, then would come back down. Thankfully it's been a really mild we winter here and the ground is saturated. Buried the nose about 4 inches in the mud. Threw it up again, same result. Only damage was a muddy airframe and a broken control horn. I'll give it another shot tomorrow with a bigger prop.
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
215.0 MPH
markusvt's Avatar
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
All depends on the KV of the motor, will fly very fine on 4S with a 6x3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
Went to maiden my FunJet tonight and found something out. On a 4S setup, a 6x3 prop does not, I repeat DOES NOT have enough ass behind it to keep this in the air. Launched vertically and it would go up, do the torque roll, then would come back down. Thankfully it's been a really mild we winter here and the ground is saturated. Buried the nose about 4 inches in the mud. Threw it up again, same result. Only damage was a muddy airframe and a broken control horn. I'll give it another shot tomorrow with a bigger prop.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
Runnikee's Avatar
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Guess mine didn't have the kv. Not really sure what the problem was. I'll prop up and go at it again tomorrow.
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:41 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterby View Post
Hi! I recently bought a Funjet and threw together a setup. Flightmax 3s 2200mAh 25C, PowerHD 40A esc, HxT 2836 2700KV inrunner and Graupner 5x5 speed prop. Flies beautyfully. The setup wasn't expensive and it's a blast in the air.
To those who automatically bash anything cheap and non top of the line, this is a FUNjet. It was designed to be fun. The super quality cutting edge parts aren't necessary outside of competition use. Those who can afford it can use them anywhere, but it's not necessary to buy expensive parts to have fun on the field.
Just to blow your wigs off, I use a Turnigy 9X
Your setup isnt pushing 1500 watts through it eithor.
Yours should give you plenty of trouble free enjoyment.
The bashing starts when there are reports of unrealistic expectations, or when there are reported power levels that arent backed up with reliable flights, and possibly data, or video from those flights.

How do you like the programming on the 9x ??
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
Dad_Roman's Avatar
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
How do you like the programming on the 9x ??
Yes please....has it give you any trouble? (Sterby....1st post, hope he swings back through)
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
great speed, sounds like high kv and small propp ? what setup/propp ?
The motor is a NEU 1515 1.5D (2700kv) on 5s. I forget what prop (Graupner 6x6?)

crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:10 AM
Registered User
GryphonRCU's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
Guess mine didn't have the kv. Not really sure what the problem was. I'll prop up and go at it again tomorrow.
A break in prop for first discharges of a pack is by definition weak (I mean power and thrust).

That is definitely not the time to launch vertically.

Did you use 6X3 Sport, or 6.5X2.9 Pylon?
Still given that Amp draw, you would have had even less thrust with 5.4X4.5 E

Launch vertically after a few more flights.....not yet....not with a break in prop.


I don't recal having seen this reason for a crash yet. I think we need to add this to list of "Do Not"

Sorry your FJ became banged up.

Actually similar thing banged up my Stryker, but it was not due to cycling a pack.
8" prop, low KV, 3S, semi heavy build, and extra steep climbing after launch ended with same results as yours....minimal damage to nose.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:34 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Arcteryxxx's Avatar
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
The motor is a NEU 1515 1.5D (2700kv) on 5s. I forget what prop (Graupner 6x6?)

That's a large lump of metal.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
Registered User
xxxcellarator's Avatar
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
I used to have that motor. It worked very well, up to 400 watts. Anything over that is extremely inefficient, wasted electricity (pure heat--cooled off by cold air passing over it). I believe peak efficiency is at 300 watts. Have fun, maybe some video to show your "stuff"?
Hey restlesswind, here's the video you asked for: Flyjet X83 w/ 2836-2350 @ 1500+ watts
Efficient or not, really doesn't matter to me. I LOVE this thing and still can't believe how nice it runs at this power level. I ran it the other day (few days after that video was shot), it was about 5-10C outside, and motor was still coming down relatively cool. Just slightly warm. And even managed to pull off a 140mph pass. This was with almost no wind (maybe 5-10kph wind gusts on occasion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
... or when there are reported power levels that arent backed up with reliable flights, and possibly data, or video from those flights.
Look at the above video for backup (I'm sure you were referring to my setup, right?).
xxxcellarator is online now Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:09 AM
Registered User
xxxcellarator's Avatar
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
P.S. That was my very first flight ever with that setup and only my 5th on the Flyjet. Still managed to hit 130mph though.
xxxcellarator is online now Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:16 AM
Registered User
Hungary, Borsod-Aba˙j-ZemplÚn, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Your setup isnt pushing 1500 watts through it eithor.
Yours should give you plenty of trouble free enjoyment.
The bashing starts when there are reports of unrealistic expectations, or when there are reported power levels that arent backed up with reliable flights, and possibly data, or video from those flights.

How do you like the programming on the 9x ??
I like the 9X so far, but I'll reprogram it in the near future. I replaced the factory module to FrSky telemetry and the ATMega has a serial port so I'll be able to use the transmitter screen for the telemetry data. Also ER9X has way more options than the factory firmware.
Sterby is offline Find More Posts by Sterby
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:10 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterby View Post
Hi! I recently bought a Funjet and threw together a setup. Flightmax 3s 2200mAh 25C, PowerHD 40A esc, HxT 2836 2700KV inrunner and Graupner 5x5 speed prop. Flies beautyfully. The setup wasn't expensive and it's a blast in the air. ...
Replace the Graupner Speed 5x5" by a Graupner Cam Speed 5.5x4.3" and I bet you'll love your FJ even more. Luckily, the amount of fun is not linear to the price of our equipment. Quite often, it is even the other way around.

JŘrgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Funjet Ultra, more fast more fun.... tbmg1 FPV Talk 34 Jul 28, 2010 09:36 AM
Discussion Muliplex EasyStar WBFlyer FPV Talk 9 Mar 10, 2010 04:09 PM
Sold muliplex ASW 27 NIB bushpilotx1 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 31, 2009 06:41 PM
Question Muliplex Alpha Junior Radio Instalation Allan Glover Sailplane Talk 3 Apr 09, 2004 02:37 AM
Muliplex MultiCharger 4010DC - is mine faulty ? borgs Batteries and Chargers 0 Jul 12, 2003 08:01 AM