SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:12 AM
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
It also happens when a wire on the balance cable isnt contacting the opposite plug well. Just make sure all wire ends sit right in their plugs. Sometimes all you need is to push the wire into the plug.
Can'tFly is offline Find More Posts by Can'tFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:48 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I forget where I read it, but someone recommended the use of DeOxit; a contact cleaner. The theory was that the error messages are a result of oxidized connections. A drop in each balance connector pinhole, followed by a few insertions/removals by the appropriate counterpart balance connector, has often worked. It even worked on the power leads.

I found the stuff either at Radio Shack or one of the big box home stores.

A lot of the time, that is sufficient and the pack will accept a charge. I also use a Wayne Giles ESR meter to track my packs. Incidentally, I've measured seemingly faulty packs with the ESR meter before and after application of DeOxit. If the connection needs cleaning, the ESR meter will measure higher than usual, but, after cleaning, reads back to the usual range.

Occasionally, it is a faulty cell, but give the inexpensive DeOxit a try; cannot hurt.

Sure wish I could remember the source; would like to give credit where it is due.

Michael
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9b0esdpjsu_e

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 13, 2014, 09:11 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,184 Posts
Drip Bottle vs. Aerosol Can

I have both the drip bottle (http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxIT-Li...eywords=deoxit) and one of the aerosol cans (not near workshop, so cannot check).

I found that I prefer the drip bottle as it is very easy to insert the tip over a balance plug opening and get just the right amount.

One interesting bit, at least on the aerosol can that I have, is that it is not a continuous stream; rather, depressing the trigger causes a short burst to come out.

Still, I like the simple drip tube.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:11 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jan 2012
76 Posts
Reading the cell voltages from the V2, at 100% charge, it looks like Cell 5 (out of 6) is at 4.15v while the remaining cells are uniformly at 4.19v. Bad pack? If so, is there any hope for it (discharge or balance?) or is it just toast?

[edit] And when I tried to do a discharge cycle, Cell 5 immediately dropped to <3.8v while the others remained charged. Looks fried. [/edit]
Alterscape is offline Find More Posts by Alterscape
Last edited by Alterscape; Dec 15, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterscape View Post
Reading the cell voltages from the V2, at 100% charge, it looks like Cell 5 (out of 6) is at 4.15v while the remaining cells are uniformly at 4.19v. Bad pack? If so, is there any hope for it (discharge or balance?) or is it just toast?

[edit] And when I tried to do a discharge cycle, Cell 5 immediately dropped to <3.8v while the others remained charged. Looks fried. [/edit]
coincidentally i managed to recover a pack whose 4th cell was reading 5-10 volts lower than the others.
i charged/store charged the pack many times at 1.5c and cell 4 now is perfect. the battery was brand new though and i have no idea why a specific cell was reading that low.
Can'tFly is offline Find More Posts by Can'tFly
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tFly View Post
coincidentally i managed to recover a pack whose 4th cell was reading 5-10 volts lower than the others.
i charged/store charged the pack many times at 1.5c and cell 4 now is perfect. the battery was brand new though and i have no idea why a specific cell was reading that low.
Sadly this is common in some brands of packs. Only when new and typically on the larger packs. In this case a slow charge rate is the best method to get the cells balanced and broken in. If the pack is old, or damaged, cells out of balance could be a bad connection on the balance connector or a bad cell.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99