May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
UGH!!!

I did it. I went and ordered the 57" 330SC in red from 3dhs

Time to make a little more room in the garage!
Congrats!
I have yet to maiden mine.
Before I buy a new plane, I look for where I can store it in my living room...

George
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:50 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Got an Infinite for it already?

kendall
I actually do.

Now I know you are a die hard Scorpion fan and don't really think all that highly of the infinite's and thats all good, but I too am a Scorpion fan.
I also like to try new things and keep an open mind when it comes to motor selection AND trying out a different brand.

I also have a scorpion candidate and an AXI 4020/18 (this one may be too big, as its nearly a 60 spec'd motor)

Will decide which one works best for it when the plane arrives.

So is the consensus to use HS225mg's or ??
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Apr 14, 2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:01 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Thanks Guys. Stang killer ss are you running it on that Turnigy motor? I went to buy that motor and they are out of stock. Also what 80A ESC did you purchase? It looks like I should look for the lightest powerhouse motor around. Everyone seems to like the GR45, but I am not sure if it would run 5S and the V2 will not be in stock until the summer. Notice anything here, no stock of anything anymore. I hope I don't have issues with the 20C rating on the batteries as nothing else is in stock.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
no im not. im actually running a 4S Exceed Monster Power 32 ( 770kv super-cheapy from hobbypartz)

yeah i wanted that motor too for 5S but were sold out then too.

i went with this 80A esc. i chose this one over the turnigy plush 80A mostly for its weight savings, but also for its selectable BEC, and programability.
Turnigy Super Brain 80A Brushless ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10943

yeah the reaper 45 is a 4S motor, and not available anymore like you said. and the V2 still isnt out.

the 4000 mah will help compinsate for your lack of C rating, but as a rule i never buy anything under 25C. if i have no choice then i just wait.
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,994 Posts
Quote:
UGH!!!

I did it. I went and ordered the 57" 330SC in red from 3dhs
I don't need it, but I guess I had to have it.
This is just after receiving my two new Slipstream planes, the Sbach342 and the MXS, both 72" machines.

Time to make a little more room in the garage!
The Sbach is a sharp looking plane, and the Slipstream version, looks great,(especially at $299.95) but it seems a bit heavy for a plane of that size. Of course it is designed as a gasser. I would love to have a lighter electric version. There is a gentleman that flies at the club I belong to that has a larger version..as noted, a great looking plane.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:29 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
no im not. im actually running a 4S Exceed Monster Power 32 ( 770kv super-cheapy from hobbypartz)

yeah i wanted that motor too for 5S but were sold out then too.

i went with this 80A esc. i chose this one over the turnigy plush 80A mostly for its weight savings, but also for its selectable BEC, and programability.
Turnigy Super Brain 80A Brushless ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10943

yeah the reaper 45 is a 4S motor, and not available anymore like you said. and the V2 still isnt out.

the 4000 mah will help compinsate for your lack of C rating, but as a rule i never buy anything under 25C. if i have no choice then i just wait.
I just picked up that exact ESC. I have had great luck with the Turnigy Plush line on the smaller esc's. I think I need to do the same and not buy anything below 25 or 30C anymore.

cryhavoc38, What Infinite motor are you planning on putting in this plane? I was looking hard at the posts and thought I might try the A4025-505 motor that is shown here. http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=784
Is this the right size, as it seems a bit heavy at 347.6gr?
What about the 4020-540 shown here http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=780 that is only 291g, but shows 800W max? I was hoping to design for 1200W or 65A max @5S.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Last edited by cherokee180c; Apr 13, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
I just picked up that exact ESC. I have had great luck with the Turnigy Plush line on the smaller esc's. I think I need to do the same and not buy anything below 25 or 30C anymore.

cryhavoc38, What Infinite motor are you planning on putting in this plane? I was looking hard at the posts and thought I might try the A4025-505 motor that is shown here. http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=784
Is this the right size, as it seems a bit heavy at 347.6gr?
What about the 4020-540 shown here http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=780 that is only 291g, but shows 800W max? I was hoping to design for 1200W or 65A max @5S.
I've found two things with the infinite motors.
First off their stated weight is either right on, or a gram or two up or down from what they list them at. I like that!

Secondly, the collection of larger ones that I have seem to be underrated wattage wise. If you use the general 3w per gram of weight, the 4020-540 should come out to be just about 900 watts.

Now given the ratings of some of the recommended motors, I'd say the 4020-540 would be a good motor for this plane. Since WOT would not be used all that much, I feel that short WOT bursts, even if overpowering the specs of the motor, would certainly be fine.

This plane is a 46 sized plane so I think either of your choices would be suitable. yes the 4025-505 is a bit heavy, but is it really all that heavier than a power 46, or torque 4016/T500? Not all that much.

I'm going to try a scorpion 4020/12, but I also have a couple Infinte 4020-770'w in my parts drawer and a 4025-505 on the way.

Order the 4020-505. When you receive it, I am betting that you will find it a very well made motor and the accessories are very well machined and finished as well.

This is my new favorite motor for 70+ inch wingspan planes..
http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=788

I've got one installed in an Abell RC Extra 260 and two more on the way for the Slipstream planes.

Ok back to the Extra 330sc, whats its dry weight minus electronics?
I don't see it listed on the 3dhs web site.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:52 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Thanks Guys. Stang killer ss are you running it on that Turnigy motor? I went to buy that motor and they are out of stock. Also what 80A ESC did you purchase? It looks like I should look for the lightest powerhouse motor around. Everyone seems to like the GR45, but I am not sure if it would run 5S and the V2 will not be in stock until the summer. Notice anything here, no stock of anything anymore. I hope I don't have issues with the 20C rating on the batteries as nothing else is in stock.
i am flying the SC with the GR60 and 4S4000 20C and if there is one thing i dont need is even more power on this plane. it is definately a rocket.

Mike
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:43 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Got an Infinite for it already?
Quote:
I actually do.

Now I know you are a die hard Scorpion fan and don't really think all that highly of the infinite's and thats all good...
No, I didn't mean that to be derogatory in any way. I just know you have a collection of Infinite motors and figured you'd have one for the SC. I've never tried one so I have no basis to say anything negative. That really wasn't meant to be an attack of any kind.

The whole Infinite/Scorpion thing is totally moot as far as I'm concerned. Non-issue. There seem to be a couple of folks out there who get the impression that they are re-branded Scorpions and I feel some small moral obligation to butt in with my two cents when that comes up (as I guess you've seen), but otherwise I couldn't care less. Use what works for you, bro. They are nice lookin' motors.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:12 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
lol so how many different factories do we really think there are in china that put these together?
hacker tho i think is in germany?is that correct?if it works fly it i say
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:32 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
i am flying the SC with the GR60 and 4S4000 20C and if there is one thing i dont need is even more power on this plane. it is definately a rocket.

Mike
+1
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:38 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
...so how many different factories do we really think there are in china that put these together?
hacker tho i think is in germany?is that correct?if it works fly it i say
No clue. Seems like dozens with more popping up every week, but who knows, maybe only a couple. Hacker is German, Axi's are Chech, Neu's are made in the USA. But just like the stuff we buy at WalMart--90% are made in China. Some are good, some are trash.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Hacker and Axi are both actually produced in China, management and design for both companies is in the Europe.

If a motor is actually produced in Europe, the price will leave no question about it. Plettenberg.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:13 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Secondly, the collection of larger ones that I have seem to be underrated wattage wise. If you use the general 3w per gram of weight, the 4020-540 should come out to be just about 900 watts.

Now given the ratings of some of the recommended motors, I'd say the 4020-540 would be a good motor for this plane. Since WOT would not be used all that much, I feel that short WOT bursts, even if overpowering the specs of the motor, would certainly be fine.

I am running the Infinite 4020-540 in the 57" Extra 330SC. I now have the Turnigy Light E 14x8 prop on 5s and running the motor at about ~57amps or so. So that is around 1k watts. It is standing up fine to that level of power so I feel they have been very conservative on their ratings.

Granted I only have about 5-6 flights on it but I will let you know if I smoke it. But I totally agree that it is very safe to 900w and likely more. I am also running the new E-flite 2.5" E spinner and it sure dresses the already nice plane up well.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member