HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2002, 12:19 AM
Too young to be a senior.
USA
Joined Apr 2001
288 Posts
Re-peaking batt packs

Is it okay to repeak a pack two or three times? What about NIMH?
-pc
planecrash is offline Find More Posts by planecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2002, 01:13 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
You will see no improvement in battery performance--just more heat. In my tests the perfromance seems to be worse when the battery is re-peaked.
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old May 20, 2002, 01:58 AM
Too young to be a senior.
USA
Joined Apr 2001
288 Posts
I should have been more clear in my original question.
Like with my TM before I head out my backyard to fly I re-peak my pack but sometimes the wind will pick up and I will put it away for 3 or so hours and just before I fly I will re-peak the pack again.

Is this bad for the batt packs? Is there any significant perfomance increase by re-peaking just before you fly?
thanks
-pc
planecrash is offline Find More Posts by planecrash
Old May 20, 2002, 02:14 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,828 Posts
NiCad's lose about 2% per day for the first few days. Re-peaking Nicad's won't damage them unless your charger is designed to ignore the negative voltage slope of a fully charged battery in the first few minutes of charge, (many do) and then only if the battery is already warm form a recent charge. Even this is not too damaging unless you do it very often. On the other hand, NiMH batteries initially discharge somewhat faster than NiCad's, but they are more prone to damage from overcharging. I guess it's all a matter of judgement.

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor