HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:53 AM
Brazil, RS, Eldorado do Sul
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
Will it run on methanol?

I'm wondering whether those jazzy plugs would confer an advantage to those of us who are using methanol engines.
No, it's run on petrol with oļl (castrol 8017) 30:1 , but I had take off alcohol out because our gasoline has this
Last sunday I try this new and looks good it's time to fly now.
Sorry my ugly english, I live in Brasil.
Marocco is offline Find More Posts by Marocco
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:30 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
Will it run on methanol?

I'm wondering whether those jazzy plugs would confer an advantage to those of us who are using methanol engines.
There is no advantage to using the ultra hot heat range glow plugs in a RC airplane engine. There may be a use for the plugs in some cases where a glow engine may have too low of a compression ratio to run well with glow fuel, especially no nitro or low nitro percentages in the glow fuel.

The ultra hot heat range glow plugs are actually used with RC car engines a lot. Especially the big quad drive trucks setup for running the obstacle courses. They go through the course at low speed and run the engines at idle a lot, but need some punch out power to get over the big obstacles.

Many years ago before we had larger displacement glow engines for big planes, I used to convert trimmer engines to RC airplane use. But the compression ratio was low of course. So to compensate you had to increase the nitromethane percentage in the fuel to 15% to 20% or so. But with these new ultra hot heat range glow plugs then one may be able to use low or no nitro in the glow fuel in those engine conversions.

On second thought these new ultra hot heat range plugs might work in some four stroke glow engines that have relatively low compression ratios. These engines tend to only run well with 15% to 20% nitro in the glow fuel. You'll know what I mean if you have one of these engines too. But these new glow plugs might let the engines run OK with no nitro or low nitro in the fuel.

OS first made the P5 ultra hot heat range glow plug for RC cars. But it is a turbo type of glow plug with a larger body and different thread size from the regular glow plugs. It seals at the tip and not the base too. NV-Engines actually uses this glow plug with their GX40 gasoline (petrol) engines.

The new OS G5 ultra hot heat range plug looks to be a more conventional glow plug size. But I do not know for sure it it is a 1/4x32 thread size or not though. If it is then it may work in those engines needing a more hot heat range glow plug then.

But with a glow plug with a ultra hot heat range there is the risk of detonation or premature ignition, so one needs to be careful using them. Or you run the risk of causing holes in the pistons or having a piston come apart inside a engine.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,576 Posts
The G5 plug is identical in dimensions and thread to the 'F' 4-Stroke plug.

I have a GGT15 which is mounted on a Big Stik 60 that' i'm assembling. I hope to maiden it this weekend.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC