HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:53 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Discussion
Airco DH-2 Balsa and tissue

I just finished a 27" Airco DH-2(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199145) and I am now motivated to doing a Peanut sized version of it for indoor flying.

I'm hoping to get it done in the next two weeks (by Jan 1). I plan to post as I build it.

Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Last edited by Tim Cullip; Dec 29, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:04 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,949 Posts
Look forward to that. I still have a laser and lots of balsa but far too many moves has meant a long time away from building. In two weeks time we are moving again but only less than a mile away this time. It wasn't planned, just one of those things. Anyway, in the new apartment I will have a room for hobby use. The workshop is too cold for building in.

I'll keep a very close eye on this thread as I'm a big fan of WW1 pusher planes and would like to build one. What equipment do you plan to use?
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:07 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Working on the wings first

I now have all the ribs cut out (and a quarter of them slotted for the spars). Also the leading and trailing edges, and the spars cut out.

One of the four wing panels is now glued up (except the wing tip).

As far as equipment, I'm still trying to decide. I prefer brushless power (AP03), but I might go with a geared 6mm pager.

I may go with an AR6400 brick or possibly a MicroInvent Rx and 1.7 gm servos. This one will be throttle, elevator, rudder. Elevator and rudder will be pull-pull using SpiderWire fishing line.

I suppose I'll need to make those decisions real soon (before I start on the fuselage pod).

Tim
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
I had started one of these quite a while ago but stalled out on it, since then I've seen a few very nice models built and its like poking me with a stick. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes, should be a good prompt for me to finish what I started.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post
I had started one of these quite a while ago but stalled out on it, since then I've seen a few very nice models built and its like poking me with a stick. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes, should be a good prompt for me to finish what I started.

Nick
Well, if you looked over my 27" DH2 build (link in the 1st post of this thread) you'll see that I stalled out on that one for almost three years! I'm just now coming back to the hobby.

Sometimes, it takes being poked with a stick to get us back to what we were meant to be. I hope you do get prompted to get back to what you started.

Tim
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:31 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,207 Posts
Cool
Are you using the same plans as your 27" build and scaled down? What wingspan?
I built a 14" foam kit offered by an RCG member.
It flew, but not well using an AR6400 and a p51/gearbox power with a 5050 prop.
I still have it's carcass and toy with resurrecting it very once in a while.
Good luck!
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:46 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
Cool
Are you using the same plans as your 27" build and scaled down? What wingspan?
I built a 14" foam kit offered by an RCG member.
It flew, but not well using an AR6400 and a p51/gearbox power with a 5050 prop.
I still have it's carcass and toy with resurrecting it very once in a while.
Good luck!
I'm using a combination of a simple 3-view, a Peanut plan I found somewhere on the net, and lots of photos. Not exactly the same as the 27" "plans" (that one was almost completely based off just the 3-view drawing blown up to the size I wanted), but very similar. This one will be 13" span and I'm hoping for less than 30 grams total (including battery). This will be my fourth Peanut scale model (SE5A, Bristol Scout, Sopwith Pup - they all came in around 25 grams), but I'm shooting for more details on this one.

What didn't you like about how yours flew? What was its all up weight? I remember (and was inspired by) the foam DH2 project that was presented on this site by MOdesigner (was it his kit that you built?).

Tim
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:48 AM
United States, NY, Scarsdale
Joined Oct 2013
151 Posts
I look forward to seeing it take shape. Stick and tissue, pins and cork -- old school! That's pretty close rib spacing for a peanut. It looks like it would be a brilliant display model. I'd almost be afraid to fly it. I see that your plan is available on outerzone (id#2205). I'd be tempted to use carbon for the booms but gotta respect the traditional materials.

August
K5083 is offline Find More Posts by K5083
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:13 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
That's pretty close rib spacing for a peanut. It looks like it would be a brilliant display model. I'd almost be afraid to fly it. I see that your plan is available on outerzone (id#2205).

August
Yeah, it is pretty much scale spacing and number of ribs. More than I'm used to for a Peanut and maybe I'll regret it in the end, but I'm interested in seeing if I can make something that is very close to scale in appearance and still be flyable (but if I'm not careful this may just end up being a boat anchor). If I was thinking ahead I probably would have made every other rib be just a half rib (leading edge to first spar).

Thanks for pointing out outerzone, I'll probably spend hours just looking over all the plans there (I just happened to come across the set of plans I'm using via a google search).

Tim
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, NY, Scarsdale
Joined Oct 2013
151 Posts
I bet you won't regret all those ribs. They're 1/32" right? They won't be too heavy and will look awesome.

August
K5083 is offline Find More Posts by K5083
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:41 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
I now have two of the four wing panels (the lower ones) completely framed up with wingtips and braces where the interplane struts will mount.

Weight of both together is 1.8 gms.

Tim
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:11 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
I now have all four wing panels and a rough framed rudder and vertical stab.

Weight of the four panels is 3.8 gms.

Tim
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:43 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Looking good, nice weights too. Do you have a particular method for rib cutting? It seems no matter how accurate I try to be, the ribs are rarely the same, so I end up having to group sand them.

Nick

oh, and your 27" model is fantastic!
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Dec 20, 2013, 09:31 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
837 Posts
As for ribs, I usually cut out one and sand it to the shape I want and then use it as a template for all the others (and using light 1/32 balsa and a fresh sharp blade makes it relatively easy to get fairly precise reproductions from that 1st template rib), but yes I also then end up with a final group sanding. Cutting out the ribs isn't the time consuming part for me, it is the notching them for the spars that I least enjoy.

Thanks for the compliment on the 27" DH2, that was a project I really delved into when it came to details (so much so that I burned out for a couple of years , but I'm back again now ).

Tim
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:36 AM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
664 Posts
I really wanted to see stick and tissue build with scale rib spacing and thank you for that. If I get to build stick and tissue model, I would put carbon rod leading edge for durability. Will it add too much weight? or will it break all the ribs on impact?
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing