SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:49 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Discussion
HELP me build a Quadcopter - Possibly the Turnigy Talon Quadcopter (V2.0) Carbon Fib

So I bought a Blade MQX and so far I am loving it. I really think I can fly a full scale quadcopter so i'd like to build one myself.

MY GOAL: Is to get into FPV (get Fat Shark Goggles etc) but first i'd like to build a quality, stable, 1+ mile range, quadcopter that can carry a Go Pro Hero 2 Camera.

I checked out some frames and this one looks nice but i'd like feedback:
Turnigy Talon Quadcopter (V2.0) Carbon Fiber Frame 550mm

Figured i'd go with the "KK2 Board" as well.

Which motors from HK would you suggest?

Any and ALL help is appreciated as I an a NOOB to Quadcopters. But i'm pretty good at building stuff etc.

Besides all that I am sure I'm missing a TON of other parts I will need so i'm looking for help to build one. I'll update with pictures and video as I go etc. Thanks in advance to those who assist me.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Last edited by JUCD VPR; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:04 PM
Control the Truth#1 goal inWAR
TonyTronicWSP's Avatar
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
176 Posts
F450 Quadcopter Frame ESC Motor Propeller+MWC 2.1+GPS
only $180 at GLB. All assembeld, don't worry you will get to know how to build one after a crash. Also would go with Turnigy ER9x transmitter with Flysky telemetery module and 8 ch. reciever

Tony
TonyTronicWSP is offline Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: IRIS Pixi replaced first flight
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Hi, I have the talon V2 frame and in my opinion there are a few problems with it.

1. The landing gear is horrible. It's stiff as a rock and the screws come loose after a few landings, and if you are new and land with some sideways movement it will flip the quad.

2. The round tubes cause your motors to turn at an angle when landing, and are very hard to put back correctly.

3. The aluminium motor mounts are incredibly weak, and bend when landing.

Basically, the idea of putting your landing gear on motor mounts on round tubing sucks.

Other than that, its hard to mount a camera on it.
The_Double is offline Find More Posts by The_Double
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
Registered User
bobfa's Avatar
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Ditto v.0 + arms break easily.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:45 AM
Registered User
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTronicWSP View Post
F450 Quadcopter Frame ESC Motor Propeller+MWC 2.1+GPS
only $180 at GLB. All assembeld, don't worry you will get to know how to build one after a crash. Also would go with Turnigy ER9x transmitter with Flysky telemetery module and 8 ch. reciever

Tony
Is the added GPS worth it? I wanted to get my first brushless but don't want to spend a great deal and know it'll get beat up. Would the non GPS one be a good way to get my feet wet?
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:31 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Double View Post
Hi, I have the talon V2 frame and in my opinion there are a few problems with it.

1. The landing gear is horrible. It's stiff as a rock and the screws come loose after a few landings, and if you are new and land with some sideways movement it will flip the quad.

2. The round tubes cause your motors to turn at an angle when landing, and are very hard to put back correctly.

3. The aluminium motor mounts are incredibly weak, and bend when landing.

Basically, the idea of putting your landing gear on motor mounts on round tubing sucks.

Other than that, its hard to mount a camera on it.
Well good god I am glad I came here then! So based off what you said, I am NOT getting that frame now lol. Thanks for helping me avoid issues! Those are all the things I do not want my quad to have issues with.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:35 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTronicWSP View Post
F450 Quadcopter Frame ESC Motor Propeller+MWC 2.1+GPS
only $180 at GLB. All assembeld, don't worry you will get to know how to build one after a crash. Also would go with Turnigy ER9x transmitter with Flysky telemetery module and 8 ch. reciever

Tony
Can you spell out a few of the acronyms that are unknown to me (MWC).

Is the Flysky the same thing as a KK2 board?

I am VERY glad I bought the Blade MQX so I can learn to fly quads before I crash the big expensive one. I've got about 8 battery charges under my belt so far and i think i've crashed it about 30 times. BUT I am getting better with each flight. Man flying quads is addictive!
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Last edited by JUCD VPR; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:38 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
This Quad?
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/f450-quad...assembled.html
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:39 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Do you suggest the DX6i Controller?

Or is this one just as good? I am loving the price tag compared to the DX6i at $150.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:25 PM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Bumblebee ? I see they make a nice FPV mount with gimble also?
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hobbylord...ropellers.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/single-ax...bee.htmlCamera mount
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:29 PM
Registered User
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Do you suggest the DX6i Controller?

Or is this one just as good? I am loving the price tag compared to the DX6i at $150.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I'm not sure how dx6 compares to the 9x but one thing I know for sure is with mqx, the dx6 is a game changer. The real potential of the craft will come out. Guaranteed to have more fun with your mqx when using programmable tx vs the stock ones. Just my opinion.
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,427 Posts
As far as TX, I'd get the 9x and flash it with er9x or open9x. Cheap radio with more features than anything twice it's price.

If you're set on HK, I'd start with an SK450 frame. They are sturdy, all parts are available. You don't have to worry about getting the motor mounts straight (like you would on the Talon) and you can get a power distribution bottom plate for a couple of dollars making wiring that much easier. Some 20 or 30A ESC's, some 1000kv motors and some 9x4.5 slow fly props and a KK2 and you're away. It's all cheap so you can crash it and destroy parts without it costing too much, and it'll teach you how to fly.

Once you can fly it, you can either convert it using the dead cat conversion and put a camera on it, or just replace the whole thing. By then you'll know what you want/need, you'll know how to fly so you won't have to be as concerned about breaking parts and you can add a frsky JR module to get the range you want
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:23 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPriapism View Post
I'm not sure how dx6 compares to the 9x but one thing I know for sure is with mqx, the dx6 is a game changer. The real potential of the craft will come out. Guaranteed to have more fun with your mqx when using programmable tx vs the stock ones. Just my opinion.
I guess I better get on it and get a better controller then. However i'm doing pretty good with the stock controller, it is challenging but I am really finally learning to fly this MQX Quadcopter. For some reason yesterday I just GOT IT and finally understand what proper stick input to do. For some reason I think flying RC's this works a different part of your brain or something.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:41 AM
Registered User
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
As far as TX, I'd get the 9x and flash it with er9x or open9x. Cheap radio with more features than anything twice it's price.

If you're set on HK, I'd start with an SK450 frame. They are sturdy, all parts are available. You don't have to worry about getting the motor mounts straight (like you would on the Talon) and you can get a power distribution bottom plate for a couple of dollars making wiring that much easier. Some 20 or 30A ESC's, some 1000kv motors and some 9x4.5 slow fly props and a KK2 and you're away. It's all cheap so you can crash it and destroy parts without it costing too much, and it'll teach you how to fly.

Once you can fly it, you can either convert it using the dead cat conversion and put a camera on it, or just replace the whole thing. By then you'll know what you want/need, you'll know how to fly so you won't have to be as concerned about breaking parts and you can add a frsky JR module to get the range you want
I checked out the SK450, is this the one you are suggesting?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_450mm.html

Price looks good, guess I could build a cheaper one for now to learn how to fly a larger one and then move to a Bumblebee 550 quad (The Bumblebee is a good one correct? I love the way it looks too!)

So considering the DX6i is great for my current MQX, should I buy the DX6i , and if I do will it work well with the SK450?

Or do you still suggest the 9x over the DX6i and if you do can I use the 9X on the MQX quad?

THANK YOU GUYS for the help so far. My thread has not received a lot of advice and I just wanted to say thanks again to those of you helping me out here.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:15 AM
Registered User
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
I've heard of people modding their 9x to with also with dsm, however, you'd have to do some searching on that...im not clear on details. Also a lot of tinkering I believe.

I'm just thinking if you own mqx, dx6i will benefit and you can also get a cheap orangerx from hobbyking to use on that sk. Too many tx's get annoying after a while. Just my opinion
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Turnigy Talon Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame CrashingDutchman Multirotor Talk 507 Nov 06, 2014 03:05 AM
Idea Turnigy Talon V2 Quadcopter - Build Info, Advice and Help CH33ZEBURG3R Multirotor Talk 78 Sep 25, 2014 11:30 AM
Discussion Turnigy Talon Quadcopter V2 Build rubenhak Multirotor Talk 17 May 18, 2014 01:01 PM
New Product CHEAP - H quad EVO 5 flyboygaac Scratchbuilt Multirotors 14 Oct 14, 2013 06:55 PM
Sold Turnigy Talon Quadcopter (V2.0) Carbon Fiber Frame 550mm plasmaman Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 4 Oct 20, 2012 11:31 AM