HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:05 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
I have my timer set for 5 minutes ... finished charging and all my batteries were around the 1640 mAh for the 5 minute flights
Thanks Chuck. 5 minutes it is then!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:42 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Chuck, I too recently purchased the CZ YAK and learned right away it is not a good plane for me to learn 3D on, IMO it is really a sport aerobatic capable of 3D, but WOW what a sport plane, each flight is a thrill ride

I love the YAK and just ordered more batteries for it, now with the VA I can learn 3D and have the best of both worlds with both planes
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
[QUOTE yep this is the one that will drive the nail into the coffin for my other PZ warbirds they feel like toys after these two planes [/QUOTE]

Chuck,
They're all big boy toys that offer different styles of flying to suit ones preference.
Personally I like variety to suit my flying mood.
3D when I want to challenge myself with precision.
Really fast planes for high speed passes when I want that adrenaline rush and wow some spectators.
Full house Warbirds for flying something that looks good and authentic and doing mild aerobatics.
Ducted fan jets because they sound different and look cool!
Something with pontoon floats so I can hang out by a lake and fly.
Slow "trainer type" easy flying plane when I want to sit in a lawn chair with a drink in my hand and fly lazily.
Thank goodness for variety
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:40 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
To clarify the question about the "modes" in the receiver.
There are three transmitter "modes" - Computer 3D, Non-Computer 3D and Sport.
Computer 3D and Non-Computer 3D gives you access to 5 channels (1,2,3,4 and 6. Channel 5 is used to control the gain and flight modes (high/low rate).

Sport gives you access to all 6 channels. Channel 5 (Gear) is still used to control the gain and flight modes (high/low rate), as well as raising and lowering the gear.

So the gain and the flight modes (high/low rate) are on the same switch.

High rate (Gear switch position 1) has higher gain values.
Low rate (Gear switch position 0) has lower gain values.

You can adjust 3 axes in both high and low rate, for a total of 6 gain values.

If you want to turn the AS3X off in low rate (for example), move the Channel 5/Gear Switch to position 0 and change the gain values to 0%.
ram008 is offline Find More Posts by ram008
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:40 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
[QUOTE yep this is the one that will drive the nail into the coffin for my other PZ warbirds they feel like toys after these two planes
Chuck,
They're all big boy toys that offer different styles of flying to suit ones preference.
Personally I like variety to suit my flying mood.
3D when I want to challenge myself with precision.
Really fast planes for high speed passes when I want that adrenaline rush and wow some spectators.
Full house Warbirds for flying something that looks good and authentic and doing mild aerobatics.
Ducted fan jets because they sound different and look cool!
Something with pontoon floats so I can hang out by a lake and fly.
Slow "trainer type" easy flying plane when I want to sit in a lawn chair with a drink in my hand and fly lazily.
Thank goodness for variety [/QUOTE]

And the Night Vapor when you want to chase the dog around the back yard or fly at night.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
And the Night Vapor when you want to chase the dog around the back yard or fly at night.[/QUOTE]

I almost forgot about that one!
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
Maiden and Review

Just got home from my maiden flight. Put three batteries through the VisionAire. I'm a "sport flyer" so feel like I'm a good target customer for this plane. My others are the T-28 Trojan, F4F Wildcat, and P-47D Thunderbolt. I also fly a micro P-51 and a version 1 UMX Beast (I have never tried the v2 Beast with AS3X, I'm still on my original one). Even though I don't do 3D the UMX Beast (v1) is my favorite plane, precisely because it does all the sport moves quicker and better (for example, no altitude loss or down elevator needed on a barrel roll with the Beast, and the split-S turns are just so easy to pull off in a tight airspace). In a nutshell, for me, the VisionAire is the parkflyer sized Beast I've been waiting for (well, without the awesome biplane looks). What an awesome plane it is. It's a keeper and worth getting.

First, our field is bumpy and has longer grass. My tail-dragger P-47 Thunderbolt just noses over when I try to drive it on the ground there, for example, so it's useless unless I hand launch it and go pick it up from the field where it lands. This is absolutely no problem at all with the VisionAire. In fact, it goes as good if not better on the ground of our field than my T-28 Trojan with the tricycle nose gear. HUGE PLUS for me in terms of ground maneuverability. I didn't have a single issue with getting it to move over bumps, even if it started in a rut.

First battery, I placed it all the way forward to the stop in the nose. Took off, it seemed to want to fly down (too much down elevator or it was nose heavy), but I didn't want to trim it with this AS3X in it. On the first flight I experimented with the Dual Rates but not the 3D (the ch 5 Gear switch). For me, even as a "beginning-intermediate" pilot the full rates as QQ suggested were the best. After one comparison time with both sets of dual rates, I stuck with the full rates for the rest of the time. First landing was so easy, no problems, it landed so easy and slow. Second flight, put the battery as far back as I could with the front strap still barely on it, which helped a bit on the nose down issue, but not completely. I may try a click or two of up elevator trim next time, but I worry about doing that on this AS3X (my entire time today, not a single click of trim, just fyi). Anyway, on the second battery I came around flying slow (but on the full DR rates), and flipped the gear switch to 3D in flight at full rates and played around. Despite only a few days of harrier practice on the phoenix sim, it was easy to get this plane to do it, and I think it even hovered for a minute, but I was so high up for fear of a mistake I couldn't tell. I even pulled off one waterfall with it (again, with only a few days of sim trying it). On the third battery the wind started picking up, say gusting in the 8mph range, I was too scared to do 3D like that, so kept it in general flight mode, and it sure seemed to handle the wind well for me. I think I did the best looking hammerhead of my life. I did try knife edge in general flight mode at full rates, but it seemed to be losing altitude, and with the wind, I just quit trying it without more sim time. Even if I never tried 3D with it, I would love this plane for just fun sport flying with precision and quickness, the exact qualities I love about my v1 Beast.

I set the timer for 5 min as the manual and Chuck suggested. My other big planes can go more than that, so I'm hoping this one can too, I just didn't want to risk it, but longer flying times would be nice. I would be very interested in anyone's feedback on the true length of the stock battery (I only have the stock charger so can't measure what it takes to recharge it to figure this out myself).

I know plane preferences are subjective, but for me, this is probably my new favorite bigger plane. From the awesome ground handling to precise sport movements, slow flying ability, and easy landings, this is a winner! I clearly didn't (nor could I personally) get to try out all of the true 3D stuff with it, so don't know if my review would be helpful to a hardcore 3D person, but if you are a sport flyer, I think you will love this plane, and be able to not only use it just for sport flying, but also to try out some 3D stuff if you are interested in learning it. It's one of those planes that makes you seem to be a better pilot than you are, even just doing sport stuff.

Thank you Parkzone / Horizon Hobby / QQ for another great plane!
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,451 Posts
Quote:
yep this is the one that will drive the nail into the coffin for my other PZ warbirds they feel like toys after these two planes
haha it was a bit of a Tongue in cheek comment, i love all my planes but tend to always have the "Go Too" planes that i'm in love with at that time !
all i really meant is the Warbirds in the PZ size will not get a lot of use because i am in love with my E-flite Hurricane size Warbird and fly that much more than any of the others. the next warbird i buy will be the one HH must have had ready for last year but didn't release due to the problems the Hurricane had. The Hurricane is a great size plane for "My" needs and likes!
I think because of what has happened to me in the past 3 years has thrown up so many challenges that just flying round in circles doesn't do it for me any more, i'm enjoying the challenge other styles of flying give.
In saying that the PZ range to me is what taught me to fly as these planes are just awesome and our friend QQ has designed another winner with this VisionAire and i can see it introducing many pilots to try a style of flight they may of thought they might never do!

all i know is i have not been as excited about a new plane for a while now i love this new one from PZ it is a winner for sure, yes not for everyone but those that take the leap WILL be rewarded with an awesome experience

cheers chuck

PS i don't think your get much more time out of a battery than the 5 minutes if mine all took 1640mAh your ruin your batteries and risk losing your plane if you push them too hard, i just land put another batt in and fly again
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,053 Posts
i am getting 6 min,,,full 3d ,,,using 30 to 65 percent of throttle,,low and slow,,,using 70 to 80% of battery.1760 is 80% of batt...... i fly visionaire inbackyard,about 100 by80ft .can land in about 10 to 15 seconds after timer goes off......fly edge 540qq slow in backyard also, timer at 6min ..use only 60 to 75% of battery....less throttle = more flyght time
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Somehow I set my Channel 5 switch up backwards and I don't know how.. It is in 3D Mode in position 0 and in General Flying Mode in Position 1. How can I change it back to General in Position 0 and 3D in Position 1?? Also..the channel 5 switch has no effect on my rudder movement at all. I have the same throw wheather in General or 3D on just the rudder. Elevator and Ailerons work as they should with the Gen/3D switch. All of my duel rates are set up on my ELEV D/R switch at 70% low and 100% high and all seems to be working as should be with Duel Rates switch.

So now I need some tech help if someone can offer it.
First....Can anyone tell me if the Rudder travel is NOT suppose to change between General and 3D mode...and if it is, any suggestions on why mine may not be working correctly or how to correct it.
Second... Any info on how I can get my Channel 5 switch back to where Gen is position 0 and 3D is position 1?? Thanks Guys..
Cloud_Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cloud_Buster
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Ok..dumb me.. All I had to do was reverse the Channel 5 switch and now the General Flight Mode is position 0 as it should be. I still don't have any travel differences with the Rudder no matter if it is in General or 3D mode however I do have travel differences with the rudder between low rates and high rates....just not between general and 3D.... so I still need some help with that.. Thanks..
Cloud_Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cloud_Buster
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Buster View Post
Ok..dumb me.. All I had to do was reverse the Channel 5 switch and now the General Flight Mode is position 0 as it should be. I still don't have any travel differences with the Rudder no matter if it is in General or 3D mode however I do have travel differences with the rudder between low rates and high rates....just not between general and 3D.... so I still need some help with that.. Thanks..
I bet a thousand people were jumping up and down saying reverse the channel! Its similar to crashing on your first flight of your new baby because you have the ailerons the wrong way. Join the club.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:04 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Fun in the sun

It was 75 degrees in Houston today; winds 10-12 from the south. A perfect day for the first flight of my new Visionaire. Three flights, first on low rates,two on 3D setting.
Easy bind to DX8, gear switch to select rates. No muss, no fuss, no surprises.
It flies great! Smooth, predictable in either mode. Lovely waterfalls and knife edge. Harriers were steady, upright or inverted.
Carried a few clicks of power into the wind for most of the landing approach with reduction to propstop just before landing. Totally easy landings. Smooth.
Yes, it hovers easily.
Definitely a keeper.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Has anyone flown this one enough to have a feel for how much trouble keeping the trims all at zero are going to be. I haven't been in this hobby long enough to have tons of experience to fall back on, but thus far don't believe I've ever had a plane that the trims didn't need a few clicks one way or another every now and then. But they seem to say this one has to stay at zero and always be mechanically trimmed out perfect which I know can be done and I always plan to have my planes this way at least early on, just never had one stay that way. Also, mechanically trimming out that last click or two is sometimes really tough. Any input from owners? I do know a lot of really good flyers that I am around never bother with trims, they just fly and trim on the go with their thumbs so for these this won't be a problem I suppose.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:39 PM
Australia, SA, Tailem Bend
Joined Jun 2012
94 Posts
Got mine from Model Flight yesterday & with the weather being great I went straight to the Adelaide park lands, instead of driving 100 km home :-) put it together in about 45 minutes, the only problem I had was when I flicked channel 5 from normal flight to 3d the elevator would move up about 5 mm's. So I did another bind with the gear switch changed & it was still doing it on the ground so I manually trimmed the elevator with it set on 3D, took it for a flight & when I landed it was all working great, so not to sure what was going on. Anyway I class myself as a very average intermediate. I've had a few 3d foamies to try & learn 3D with but this one is the one i've been weighting for, had a ball with it & great to fly. Took a few runs to get it manually trimmed & with different winds & different batteries I still find I might need 1 or 2 clicks to get it spot on, have herd trimms should be at 0 but I cant see a problem with 1 or 2 clicks ???(hope im right I now just fly it on 3D & just change my rates with 90% of the time on high rate, it is still very easy to fly set up like that & I find it also easier to land on 3D as u have more control. Fantastic plane & am now doing slow flying manuvers that I was struggling with before. Love my Stryker for fast stuff, Icon in my back yard on the river but this is my favourate 3D & general flying plane.
In the park putting it together
Name: 20130123_142228.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 289.7 KB
Description:
Marty66 is offline Find More Posts by Marty66