HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:46 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
Mini-Review
IR Tx and Rx kits from Drcmall of Korea

When I saw the DIY kits that Drcmall offered, and the relatively low cost for a fully computerized IR system, i had to jump at the chance. I promptly ordered kits of the transmitter, and a variety of receivers which are 2ch diff thrust, 2ch motor one actuator, and 3ch one motor and 2 actuators.
i also ordered some of the bits and pieces, batteries, connectors, actuators, props. everything came very nicely packaged in their own tiny clear baggies and wrapped in bubble wrap.

because i am relatively new at SMD soldering, he was kind enough to do one receiver and the main board in the transmitter.

one if the items i ordered were micro connectors. i was stunned when i saw just how tiny they really are! i took a picture of one next to the parkzone micro 2 pin connector.

I've already done a few things for pre-assembly, which are nicely outlined on his blog pages. the throttle joystick needs to be modified to make it smooth and not self centering. also required is a little filing of the joystick housings to give full deflection to the pots.

all in all, i am very glad i bought this set, it will surely remain unique at the flying events

more to come as i find my way through the build!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
Drcmall

I bought kit and put it into my old GWS transceiver.
It worked well and enjoyed it for several month.
Also , two and three channel receiver were very good .
I made my carbon plane with 2 channel rcvr.
weight : 2.8g
wing span : 13" fuselage length : 11"
diy carbon prop, 10:1 gear (bob saleman) , 10mah lipoly
150ohm actuator with AWG 44.
carbon rod : 0.5mm for wing lib , 0.8mm other parts.
covering :2 micron film

It flies very smooth.
cmkim
ocmkim is offline Find More Posts by ocmkim
Last edited by ocmkim; Jan 02, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:39 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
Very well built cmkim! I want to build a plane as light as this gear will allow, only connector on the battery to save weight. It will likely be all balsa wood.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
I had 10mAh battery which is 0.5g. It has battery protection circuit which is 0.2g.
I don't want to remove this because it protects tiny little battery.
Actually ,receiver also has LED to show low battery warning. But it does give only warning.
If you overly draw amps , battery will be died very soon. This protection circuit cut the power and save battery.
Balsa plane will be a good choice. To save weight, use your own gear and light weight covering . also, need to make your own actuator coil with AWG44~53. I manually wound it using silicon coated paper and aluminium rod.
Enjoy it ! I will soon up the video.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:44 PM
Illonois
Joined Oct 2007
427 Posts
prices arnt that bad. how shipping to the states? fast pricey?.

i was looking for some radio for a nano ornithopter i wanna make. to bad the tx are sold out
LexusIS300 is offline Find More Posts by LexusIS300
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:34 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
Shipping via Korea EMS is $25, normally it would arrive in 4-5 days but i managed to hit the holiday rush so mine got stuck in customs for a while. Im willing to bet that it is not the normal time frame. I think the overall savings more than make up the shipping costs, especially if you look at the japan indoor shop's pricing.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:43 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
so, i got a lot done tonight, jjifar sent me the correct order to re-wire the sticks into mode 2.
a few things to note, when wiring your own, solder the sockets for the joysticks and for the IR array onto the main board and the wires into the secondary boards. if you don't, things won't fit right into the case (unless you plan to use a different case)

following all the pictures and how-to's that jjifar has listed are very important to making it all come together properly.

here is the list of links i was sent for assembly:
1. Processing the joystick.

http://blog.naver.com/saejuyi/90142051067

Translation(You'll understand if you observe the pictures.)

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...2gYHfwVhLmweAg

2. Controller assembled. (Try using Google Translator.)

http://www.dynamicrc.com/bbs/view.ph...desc=asc&no=34

3. Case Assembled.

http://blog.naver.com/saejuyi/90157168869

4. Receiver assembly process illustrated

http://www.dynamicrc.com/bbs/view.ph...desc=asc&no=36
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:41 AM
South Korea, Chungcheongbuk-do, Cheongju-si
Joined Jun 2009
62 Posts
Applause! ! !

Oh, very good.Done as well as you perfectly to the infrared output.
Remaining production process is very excited.
jjifar is offline Find More Posts by jjifar
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:01 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
And now for the first aircraft i built for this gear:

its all balsa, as thin as i would want for this application for strength and durability.
some specs;

span 8 inches
length 7 inches
weight rtf 1.9 grams
battery 10mah fullriver lipo
motor 4*8mm pager with trimmed down plastic prop
2 ch receiver
wound the actuator myself, about 2mm id and 3.5-4 od

i have yet to fly it, but it does glide fairly well, not too fast and no porpoising that i could tell.

i will try to get some flight video at the next indoor flying on the 16th.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
looks beautiful ! 1.9 g is amazing weight. Hope to see the flying video.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:32 AM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,138 Posts
Nice project! Love the simplicity of IR... That's a neat little plane. 1.9g is astounding!
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:36 PM
AKA mr.squishy
Joined Mar 2011
31 Posts
Where do I get a kit?!?!? Could you please post a link?
EDIT: nevermind I found the site. I'm still interested in all this performs and also how's the range? Is it short? Is it twitchy?
squishyp38 is offline Find More Posts by squishyp38
Last edited by squishyp38; Jan 07, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:54 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishyp38 View Post
Where do I get a kit?!?!? Could you please post a link?
EDIT: nevermind I found the site. I'm still interested in all this performs and also how's the range? Is it short? Is it twitchy?
range is rated to be 30 meters, i have yet to test it at an indoor site, but its not twitchy from what i have seen.
its a fun build, just be prepared to do SMD soldering on the tx and rx's. and you cant beat the price for what your getting.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:37 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
i built my first receiver today!

the one on the plane i posted was kindly built by jjifar to help get me going.

the one i built is the twin motor differential thrust type. it was not easy, took quite some time and concentration, but i think it was a fun challenge and is worth the effort as its much smaller and lighter than any of the rtf receivers of the same type.
another plus is that he includes at least one extra of the smallest components just in case you lose one

so even with the 2 motor connectors, battery lead and connector, it only came to 0.2 grams on my scale

a few good things to have are: de-soldering braid, very fine tip iron, either a very steady hand or very small tweezers.
first thing to do is tin the traces on the board, so run the iron and solder over each one. don't worry if it jumps traces, thats why the next step is to run it over with the braid. this way all the traces are tinned and no excess solder remains or shorts traces. i used a tip from jjifar's blog, for each solder joint smash a length of solder in some pliers and clip very tiny pieces off.
i started with the tiny10 chip in the center and tried to do all the closest parts working outwards from there. positioning the smallest parts can take time, once in position, hold it down with an exacto blade (tweezers would have made it much faster actually)

anyways, enough rambling. i will have to build a plane to put this little guy into next
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
South Korea, Chungcheongbuk-do, Cheongju-si
Joined Jun 2009
62 Posts
1.6g sopwith_camel

Your final result is very curious.
I biplane made ​​a few days ago.(with 10mAh battery 1.6g)
As I want to fly did not, but the possibility of the saw.

gave albatos three-plane flew very well. (with 20mAh battery 2.6g)
Use expanded polystyrene sliced ​​ingredients.

http://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/flas...720&height=438
jjifar is offline Find More Posts by jjifar
Last edited by jjifar; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:58 AM.