HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:23 PM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,257 Posts
Build Log
XF5F Skyrocket

So, I mentioned that I was going to start this a while back during the twin engine contest. Well, I didn't get it done in time for that, but it is done now, and test flown. I chose to model after the XF5F's used in the old comic book series "The Blackhawks".

This is the kit offered by Hobby Hanger (Rich Urevich) and is a complete kit including a good deal of pre-moulded plastic parts such as the nacelles, nose cone and some other smaller parts. That said, it is a builders kit and takes a fair amount of time to assemble and get just right....perfect for me as I like to build and tinker.

I deviated from the plans in a couple ways. The first was to do away with the belcranks used for both the ailerons and rudders. I used individual aileron servos in the wings and a pair of micro cables for the rudders. I really like having servos in the wings for ailerons as it gives me the ability to mess with camber and I just could not get the rudder belcrank to give me enough throw. The cabling allows lots of throw, enough to touch the rudders to the elevators. I also added dual elevator servos and one high torque servo for the rudders as counting the tail wheel, there are three of them.

I set the plane up with a pair of Hacker A30-14L's running on 4S 2700's. As it turns out this combo (about 1000 watts) is plenty powerful enough but if I had chosen the next size up, say A30-12XL's, I could have done away with some lead that I had to add to the firewalls to get the plane to CG correctly.

The first flight was a pleasure, the model gets off the ground in very short order and climbs quickly. Very little trim was needed to achieve level flight. Though not a speed demon, it does get along pretty well. I used the $8 retracts from Hobby King and couldn't be more pleased with the results, they worked flawlessly on the grass field I fly from. I guess time will tell how they do in the long run.

Chris
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Last edited by ChrisS; Aug 04, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:32 PM
Really?!?
Joined Sep 2001
1,257 Posts
Some pics of the final model. Something to note, while this is not a super large plane, it does have a 60" span and 11" chord. With pretty much everything on that wing, it gets quite large and cumbersome...so care is needed when moving it around and assembling for flight.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisS; Aug 04, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:34 PM
Really?!?
Joined Sep 2001
1,257 Posts
A few shots of the inside of the fuselage showing the crazy network of linkages, one firewall with the nacelle cover removed and the wiring harness I made up to allow me to run the radio from one ESC and the retracts from the other.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisS; Aug 04, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Nice job mate, she is an intersting looking bird that's for sure, Congrats!

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
Really?!?
Joined Sep 2001
1,257 Posts
Having difficulty with a video...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,075 Posts
Great looking bird, and a gorgeous flying site!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Mar 2009
218 Posts
"I think the plane is gorgeous, but I might be a little biased."

It IS gorgeous ! (I must be biased too.) Do you know how much it weighs, Chris ?

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:10 PM
Really?!?
Joined Sep 2001
1,257 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. As I remember, it came out just under 7.25 pounds which puts it's wing loading at 26.5 oz/ft^2. But it flies very light, gets off the ground quickly and lands at a decent speed.

I'm going to switch it over to A30-10XL's as soon as I finish this SpeedTwin build I am currently finishing up. The last time I flew it I wanted just a tad more speed from it but the A30-14L's are propped out on 11X10's. Plus, I hate having lead in the nacelles to make CG, the larger motors should help that some.

Chris
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:25 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,419 Posts
I missed this thread, Chris. Great job!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:58 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
Looking good Chris
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:01 PM
Really?!?
Joined Sep 2001
1,257 Posts
I've been working with this plane a bit more lately. I changed out the motors for A30-10XL's and went to 10X10 props. This did several things; more power (obviously), more ground clearance (smaller diameter props) and a bit less lead on the firewalls to make CG. The pitch speed, according to MotoCalc is now up to 100mph (it was less than 80mph before) and while the plane would probably disintegrate at that speed, it is a bunch faster. Flying it, I am reminded of my pattern planes, it just goes where you point it, cleanly, without hesitation. A true joy and easily the best plane I built last year.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisS; Jan 29, 2013 at 06:19 PM.