SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
Jim,

Feel free to use whatever helps you with your build (or to help others as well). I won't pretend to be an expert, so use at your own risk!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Jim,

I have no problem with that.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:48 AM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
116 Posts
New On Deck - ?? # 6 - 8

Hello Again, More questions svp.

6. Ed, you mention the mast crane is limited to 70 mm - can you provide the rule reference, Please ? I can't find it.

7. Re my question # 3, regarding mast rake. I found the UK build manual, ( jclasshulls.co.uk ) and it mentions mast rake from 2 degrees forward to 5 degrees aft and initial setup around 2 - 2 1/2 aft. They also set the mast tube for through deck mast stepping midway between the 520 and 540 mm dimensions. Can anyone comment please ?

8. How are the lengths of the jib and shroud racks determined ? And, are people using the amount of adjustment the racks allow that we see in pictures ?
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Last edited by R Baker; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Richard,

Here are the class rules from the AMYA site. See if this will answer some of your questions.

http://www.theamya.org/boats/canterburyj/CJRules.pdf

Ed
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
As far as the backstay crane, Hans' build manual has a diagram showing mast dimensions (which may be "borrowed" from the NZL C-J folks) that shows a 70mm length for the crane. I believe it's just a suggestion, not a rule. In fact, mine could be substantially shorter than that and still allow the backstay to clear the mainsail leech.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't feel the need to have the shroud positions follow the base of the mast as it's moved fore/aft. The drawback of course is that the shrouds may need to be adjusted to keep the same tension if the mast step is moved. I've got three jib tack positions (don't have their measurments with me at the moment), so far I've only used the middle one.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Richard,

My back stay crane extends 53mm from the back of the mast. It could be made shorter and lighter. I don't see a rule stating a min or max length.

The rule for the mast step is as follows,

The centre of the mast will be stepped at a point 490-540 mm
(19.291- 21.259) from the bow.

I made my mast step to include holes every 5mm from 490mm to 540mm. I normally sail with my mast at 535mm. So I made the shroud racks to match the length of the mast step, that way you can move the shrouds forward or back along with the mast without having to adjust the shroud clevises . If I were to do it over I would shorten the mast step and shroud racks in half along with the jib rack. This would also save some weight.

Hope this answers your questions,
Ed
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Jcalss

Hy Guys

I am looking at the Jclass jacht as my next venture, i am based in uk .
At our recent AGM Alan Horne was displaying his Mouldings and bits, It appears he has the Canterury and the Nottingham,the Nottingham has the lead inside Hull moulding. Which one should i go for as i would like to stay as close to the origional as possible.

What winch is used in this model , I sail 10m at present and would like to use this as a race boat when the class gets going over here.

Any thoughts most welcome
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Hi DR P,

You should check to make sure the Nottingham hull complies with the rules of the Canterbury J Class if you intend on racing.

Ed
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Hi Ed,

Thanks for info ,i would think that as the lead is inside Hull this would not conform to J rules.

I think i will go with the Canterbury as i do want to race boat if pos.

Any further info would be welcomed.

DR P
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Hi DR P, As far as I know the UK club sails and races both hulls together. In my communication with them this is the case but if you ever wanted to race internationaly then the Nottingham hull would not be leagle. I would check with the UK club, Hans
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Hi Hans,

Yes, they do race both yachts together, it is thought the Nottingham hull does not have any advantage.

I do like to keep as close to origional as possible so i think i will go with the Canterbury version. I have a question to ask ,you have a min weight on A rig do you have to add weight to B/C rigs as they are lighter to meet the min weight?

On the 10m rules we have to add ballast to B/C to maintain the 4 kilo limit.

The decks on some of the guys boats are rather nice and also the brass fittings,food for thought. Our problen in the U/K of late is most of our ponds and lakes are suffering with weed and we are in most cases not allowed to treat to prevent the problem [ Heath and Safety].

I did speak with Alan at our recent AGM. He had his Mouldings on display ,i must say he is producing a very nice product at reasonable prices so should help to move the class foreward.

Many thanks for your reply.

Dennis
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Dennis, there is nothing in our rules that state that you need to add any weight when changing rigs. You weigh in with the A rig and then change if you want as the wind changes. I don.t think that there is that much difference and the less sail would make up for that anyway, I think. Plus this would really slow down a race if you had to weigh the boat every time someone changes rigs. Hans
Last edited by Bergerboats; Dec 01, 2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Question on the weight. You Have a 4 Kg weight?? ours and I think New Zealand is 6.5 Kg
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Dennis, Here is the rule as we have it here in the USA

2.3.4 The weight of the complete boat with mast, booms, rigging, sails, and radio gear, including batteries, of a type and size normally used in radio controlled yachts, shall not be less than 6.500 kg (14lbs 5oz) when carrying the “A" rig as per the measurement diagrams. Additional weight may be added in locations not listed above in 2.3.2and 2.3.3
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:06 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
Hull # 67 has arrived on the West Coast. The yard has a bit of a backlog right now so she won't be started for a while. There is a Newport 12 in the "ways" right now undergoing a full restoration that needs to be finished before the C-J can be started. I may have to hire more workers to catch up on the workload. Too many boats-so little time.
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:17 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Rich,

Great to see your hull has arrived. I am looking forward to your build.

Ed