HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Canada, ON, Kemptville
Joined Sep 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
About the only thing left to try is a watt meter in line with the power system. Watts are power and this will tell watts going on!.
I did build my own vector thrust module from scratch using photos I found here on the web. My motor was left over from a quad copter project. http://www.rctimer.com/product_119.html A cheap 130 watt motor 930 kv.
I have had an issue with the way the power unit can mount off to the side a bit (on the tripod mount). This could cause some bad thrust trim.
Also check that on the very wing tips the elastic loops are hooked over the "arrow nock".
Battery placement on the velcro does not seem to affect flight characteristics much. I place mine rearward to try and get a better non powered glide.
One last thing, I believe they use JST connectors for power. I am using Deans and # 16 wire for hookup. JST's are a bit overloaded for this power setup.
Thanks, I'll check those. And I too was thinking the JST's seemed a bit lacking. Fingers crossed. I really want to get this bird to fly.
KVille is offline Find More Posts by KVille
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVille View Post
One more question if you don't mind. My Eagle pulls heavily to the left and it's almost impossible to turn right.

I have to trim mine full right to get even the slightest hope of a right turn, and even then it can barely do it. Any thoughts on what that could be?

When the motor is at rest, should it be sitting perfectly centered vertically and horizontally? Mine seems to be somewhat skewed left, but I thought that may be to counter prop rotation or something.
When viewed from the top, your prop should be centered left to right with the wing but should have some up-thrust when viewed from the side. Use your sub trim to center your motor left to right and then move your control stick left to right. Do you have as much movement left as you do right? Again, use your sub trim on the elevator channel to give you some up-thrust. For me, I like to use about 120% on travel control just to give me a little more throw for both up and down and left and right.
Switching out the JST's is fine but I've never changed mine and after years of flying they're just fine.
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:47 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Also, my eagle came with two battery trays. When using 1000-1300 mAh batteries I place the batteries on the front of the rear tray for best balance.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
Canada, ON, Kemptville
Joined Sep 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymc View Post
When viewed from the top, your prop should be centered left to right with the wing but should have some up-thrust when viewed from the side. Use your sub trim to center your motor left to right and then move your control stick left to right. Do you have as much movement left as you do right? Again, use your sub trim on the elevator channel to give you some up-thrust. For me, I like to use about 120% on travel control just to give me a little more throw for both up and down and left and right.
Switching out the JST's is fine but I've never changed mine and after years of flying they're just fine.
Wow, so much advice. I'm sure I'll get this bird soaring with all these tips.
Thanks very much.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVille View Post
I'm kind of new to Lipos, so was sticking to the Premier specs, which is 3S 11.1V 1000mAh 20C. In fact I called Premier support to explain my problem and the tech there said a higher mAh and higher C rated battery would burn out the 20A ESC. He was getting volts and amps mixed up, so I tended to ignore him.
In the mean time, my 2 new batteries should work. DOH!

I found that kind of odd for him to say, because I figured the motor and ESC would only draw what they'd need to draw.

I've tried the battery on both panels, but as close to the center as possible. My issue is that the bird pulls heavily to the right. Left, is no problem, but even though the motor points full right, a right turn is just not happening.
Hey, I just now saw this post from you.
I have ran up to 45C batteries with my kites and haven't had a problem with the stock ESC's so far (been flying them a few years now).
Battery placement for me is important in the eagle. One more thing to check is the tail. make sure the tail is turned up and is straight. If it's cocked off to one side or another it can sure make a difference.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:40 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,200 Posts
I hope you got the Big Eagle up and running to your satisfaction. One last thing about the eagle. It typically takes me 4-5 minutes of full throttle to gain max altitude (200-300'). I hope you are not expecting big performance from this gentle flyer. An average flight for me in calm conditions are 3-4 min full power to climb out. Then about 4 minutes cruising at half throttle. The final 2 minutes are under half throttle to landing. During the last minute or so I will blip full throttle to make a turn/course correction. Again this is with a 1600mah 3s.
happy flying
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
Canada, ON, Kemptville
Joined Sep 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
I hope you got the Big Eagle up and running to your satisfaction. One last thing about the eagle. It typically takes me 4-5 minutes of full throttle to gain max altitude (200-300'). I hope you are not expecting big performance from this gentle flyer. An average flight for me in calm conditions are 3-4 min full power to climb out. Then about 4 minutes cruising at half throttle. The final 2 minutes are under half throttle to landing. During the last minute or so I will blip full throttle to make a turn/course correction. Again this is with a 1600mah 3s.
happy flying
Well, I managed to find a battery that works, so now all I need is weather. It's very typical windy fall weather here, so it could be a while. Plus, by the time I get home from work, it's too dark to go fly.

I have zero expectations. With my flying skills, which are limited, I'll be happy to keep it in the air for any length of time, and at any altitude.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:41 PM
Beaver Dam.Wi.
Joined Jan 2003
308 Posts
deleted
harrisdouma is offline Find More Posts by harrisdouma
Last edited by harrisdouma; Feb 24, 2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: deleted