HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
Help!
Prospeed CR-1K Radar Gun Serial connection

I have a Prospeed CR-1K radar gun which we are using for DS speeds here in SYdney Australia.

The gun has a PS/2 style port on it which I am assuming is outputting RS-232.

My request for help is this. Can sanyone who has a suitable cable for this gun post the pinouts here or send them to me personally?

I want to hook the gun up to my PC so that I can capture data from the gun.

Regards
Marty
mravell is offline Find More Posts by mravell
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
Anyone?

Doesn't anyone have one of these?

Or an idea how I can determine which lines are which? There are four connections to the plug on the gun itself (the four bottom holes if you are looking at the socket with the locator pin at the top).
Old Dec 12, 2008, 04:07 PM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Marty if you get it can you send me a copy for my Prospeed.

Thanks
Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:04 AM
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
Happy to forward on information.

Regards
Marty
Last edited by mravell; Dec 14, 2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:53 AM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,111 Posts
Do you know for sure that the port is a standard P/S2 6 pin DIN miniport? Probably is but without documentation you'll need to make sure. Do a search for P/S2 and you'll find info on the electrical and communication interface.

If you have a DMM and the gun just read between pin-5 and pin-3 and see if you get around +5VDC. If not then it's not P/S2.

It'd be great if you could just use a simple P/S2 to USB converter and connect it to a laptop or PC USB port but again, make sure you're dealing with compatible signals first. An example of what I'm talking about can be found here: http://hobbymechatronics.com/project...nterface-cable

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if they would be willing to provide you with interface information? I wouldn't hurt to email them and ask.

Good luck with this and please post your findings (if you feel like keeping it in the PD). I'll bet a community effort would make something many DSers out there would like.

Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,259 Posts
If you contact Decatur Electronics, they can send you the wiring harness and a CD rom. If I remember correctly, it will capture the speeds to notepad on your laptop thru the serial port. I used to have this setup a while back...

Spencer

http://www.decaturradar.com/
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
I had been labouring under the assumption that the interface was going to be serial i.e. RS-232 and that they were just using a PS/2 style socket for convenience.

Do you know for a fact that they are actually putting out something like a keyboard signal over PS/2 style voltage levels instead?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
I emailed the manufacturer last week.

No reply so far.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 02:13 PM
GeoffN
United Kingdom, County of Herefordshire
Joined Jun 2006
28 Posts
Did you ever get a reply?
nicholg is offline Find More Posts by nicholg
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
Sorry to say that I never did get a reply or get the gun to successfully transfer data. Maybe if I had access to a scope.