SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:16 AM
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Discussion
Aerolock Models 1/5th Scale Pitts M12 by RealMcCoy

Well my buddy, Gerry (Simano), and I took a road trip to Georgia to meet Mike Hall of Aerolock Models. Mikes workshop is awsome and while we were there we got to see how proficient/efficient he is with Autocad and laser cutting. It is a very neat and clean operation. We also met his family and they are all extremely nice people.

Mike had offered me the opportunity to take the 2nd prototype of his 1/5th scale Pitts M12 which was already 90% framed up by the master himself and get her completed and to airworthy status. I accepted the offer with much excitement and feel lucky to have the opportunity. The kit in not out for production as of yet but it looks to be on the horizon.

I will detail the build from this point forward....SEFF or bust.

Here are a couple pics of the new baby. My girlfriends comments were "That thing is to big for the living room."........How could she have the nerve to make such a statement.....Women! She "Will" become adjusted to its presence and "Bow" to it beauty.
RealMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by RealMcCoy
Last edited by RealMcCoy; Jan 17, 2005 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:23 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy
My girlfriends comments were "That thing is to big for the living room."........How could she have the nerve to make such a statement.....Women! She "Will" become adjusted to its presence and "Bow" to it beauty.
She is bothered because you are not using her RUG!!!! The one that you always post your models on....

By the way Earl, why not post a picture of your operational PITTs M12 along with that new bare bones beauty? For size comparision of course...
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:27 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Seriously, let me know when we can tag up so, I can weigh that wonderful looking bones and see about my thougths on a power system. I am not going to mention it here since you know which I mean and I am not going to post any P-Calc stuff since I am interested in your power setup and will allow this thread to be clean of cludder.

Regards,
Carlos
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:28 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Here is a link to Mike Parsons(atlantae) thread on the 1st prototype. It has alot of good photos and information about the kit.

Here are some specs I took from Mike's original thread.

Top Wing: 54-1/2"
Bottom Wing: 52-1/2"
Wing Area: 900 sq.in.
1st prototype AUW: 93 oz.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:29 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
It's a Federal holiday but, I heard that the Post Office lobby are open today and they seem to have these super digital scales there....
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:30 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy
Here is a link to Mike Parsons(atlantae) thread on the 1st prototype. It has alot of good photos and information about the kit.

Here are some specs I took from Mike's original thread.

Top Wing: 54-1/2"
Bottom Wing: 52-1/2"
Wing Area: 900 sq.in.
1st prototype AUW: 93 oz.
93 oz. that's super! Less than 6lbs. !!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
I should have known the carpet comments would be back in full effect.

Carlos,

Toby is plannig to come by tonight after work around 7:00PM and pick up his triple-triple motor and check out the model also. You are welcome to come by as well if you want. Yesterday, I spent all day cleaning out the garage. I went to Lowe's and purchased some industrial shelving that I saw at Mike's place and it actually looks pretty clean now. I have much more workspace now and things are more organized.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:37 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
I'll post a pic tonight of both the large Pitts as well as my small Pitts for a size comparison. If you look through the previous thread I posted you will see some pics that Mike Hall took of the two together. Earl
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:21 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
I'll be very glad to drop by every now and then and assist on the project...but you must make sure some Pink Panther movie shall be playing at the time...

Seriously, I truly enjoyed our trip up to Mike's place in Georgia and am happy I'm part of this project in some shape or form...

Happy Landings!!...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:27 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Gerry,

I have pleanty of room now in my garage for building and the living room is alway comfortable. Feel free to come over anytime with the Bucker and lets get that thing going for SEFF also.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:28 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
If it looks anything like the Real McCoy's original.....It will be awesome. Are you planning on using So-Lite for this as well? If so, Can I suggest looking into Solarfilm. Great stuff, made by the same company, and will only add about 1 oz to the total weight vs So-Lite but much more durable, more opague, and structurally stronger. It doesn't tear as easily either.

Let the fun begin.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:31 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Cad,

I was thinking of just going with Monokote but I had planned on looking into other alternatives for covering. I definately do not want to use Solite but I will have to take a look into Solar-Film. Thanks, Earl
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:38 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,181 Posts
Earl,
I would suggest staying away from Solite on this model. If I were to do a second model (and I might when the productions come out), I would cover it either Solarfilm (as Cad suggested) or some other covering besides monokote. I have had a time keeping the covering tight on this model when it gets in the sun.

Look forward to seeing you complete this model. There isnt much left to the imagination, but if I can help, let me know.

-Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Good to know about the monokote I will do some research on Solar-Film. Thanks, Earl
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:19 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,181 Posts
The only reason I would stay away from Monokote is the fear of warping the frame due to the amount of heat and shrinking it takes with Monokote.

-Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons