SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 16, 2014, 05:46 AM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
DX5e and WIN7 VM Problems

Hi all,

This is my very first post and am a complete newbie to the RC world.

I've recently purchased a 2nd hand DX5e (mode 2 with the input jack on the left) and got a cheap copy of Phoenix v3 from ebay. I have now loaded this onto my Win7 virtual machine and done all the updates it wanted.

I have purchased a cable also from ebay which looks like a 3.5mm double ender(ooh err!) and it plugs into a usb dongle which goes into the PC.

All things light up when plugged into the computer and my handset bleeps and lights up so power isnt an issue.

I look in the VM and I can see the unit has been detected and it is enabled.

I look at the usb hardware items at the bottom right taskbar and open the devices list. I can see an icon called "SAILI Simulator XTR5.5 G2+FMS Controller".
So I guess that looks fine also.

When I fire up Phoenix all I get on the screen is "You cannot calibrate your transmitter because your USB interface is not connected". So I unplug and try again in all sorts of different ways but still the same error message.

Any ideas chaps? Im at a complete loss here.

Cheers
fusion1275 is offline Find More Posts by fusion1275
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2014, 07:05 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,671 Posts
Phoenix works with it's OWN interface which also operates to protect the software against being copied. If your cheap ebay copy didn't come with a Phoenix interface then it was probably a rip-off copy and you were swindled....sorry.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 16, 2014, 07:31 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
The USB dongle that comes with Phoenix is the actual 'license' for the software. If you just bought a disc you didn't really buy anything other then a chunk of plastic. I would probably go back and read the fine print on the ad for what you bought. You might be able to file an eBay claim if it was misrepresented.

The dongle you bought was designed explicitly to circumvent the copy protections in the software. The combination of that dongle and a Phoenix disc does not constitute a legal copy of the software and RCGroups rules prohibit us from assisting anyone in software piracy. Sorry.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old May 16, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
I just bought the box with an original CD in it. It was in a tatty shape but it was the original box and disc. So I guess the cable should of been provided.

I didnt know anything about the cable, I just saw it when looking around on ebay that it worked with Spektrum transmitters. So give me some slack.

Also I have only had it all for 3 days and its my very first RC unit. So I am learning it all from scratch.

Thanks anyway I will sort this problem out myself.
fusion1275 is offline Find More Posts by fusion1275
Closed Thread