SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 06:23 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,704 Posts
Oops... Edit.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Last edited by Creepy1; Today at 07:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:21 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gravity View Post
Finally maiden'd the 258 V-Tail in my backyard today. It's still fairly breezy out there, but it doesn't seem to notice. Flies really nice!

It hovers effortlessly at around one-third throttle. I needed to add a bit of expo to my TX, which surprised me, as I usually go with zero or negative expo on my other quads and helis, but I'll probably remove it gradually once I'm used to the model's handling characteristics (I know I can adjust this in Baseflight, but I'd rather dial it in on-the-fly). I really like the way it does banked turns; they feel less boxy than my X-quads and the V tail looks great yawing around in flight. Orientation is not going to be a problem.

Gonna need to practice setting it down nice and level to keep the rear props from inadvertently cutting the grass or eating dirt. In the meantime, I've installed the longer landing legs that Chris was kind enough to throw in. They provide around 1-1/4" of ground clearance for the rear prop tips, whereas the shorter 35mm legs only allow around 1/2" of clearance, which is cutting things pretty close for me (literally).

It's a little noisy in my smallish backyard, but certainly not as loud as the leaf-blowers the neighbors are always trotting out, so I doubt it'll bother anyone.

Charging up a batch o' lipos for a V-Tail marathon session. Can't wait!
Congratulations on your maiden, I found the same thing on my 355 V-Tail.

I usually fly zero expo on all my quads but the V-Tail definitely feels nicer with a bit of expo ( I settled on 0.20 in base flight)

Might have to try the longer legs also as I always have to take off and land on a concrete path.

Did you try MayMayDay's custom mix? It worked well in my 355 and he has settings for the 258 also. .
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
Old Today, 07:31 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,704 Posts
Ok, this inflight acc cal feature.. I originally found how to use it through googling, and now can't find it. Anyone point me to how to use this feature?
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Today, 08:01 PM
Auntie Gravity left me hangin'
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
Congratulations on your maiden, I found the same thing on my 355 V-Tail.

I usually fly zero expo on all my quads but the V-Tail definitely feels nicer with a bit of expo ( I settled on 0.20 in base flight)

Might have to try the longer legs also as I always have to take off and land on a concrete path.

Did you try MayMayDay's custom mix? It worked well in my 355 and he has settings for the 258 also. .
Thanks, Rob.

I have MMD's custom 258 V-Tail mix bookmarked, but I want to get a few more flights under my belt before I enter it so I'll be in a better position to appreciate its affect.

Just had six more flights and it felt better and better with each one. This is definitely going to be my go-to aircraft for the foreseeable future. I love the combination of light-as-a-feather flight characteristics coupled with its solid and substantial presence. Not sure how something can feel heavy and weightless at the same time, but this model pulls it off.
Uncle Gravity is online now Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity