HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
Build Log
USS Enterprise B build

A friend of mine and I had talked about building a larger version of his first model based on the Paul Bradley plans made in 2009. I did this video on John's first flight and William Shatner, aka Captain Kirk, himself discovered the video and tweeted about it. Me and Shat are tight now.

Star Trek Enterprise RC plane (2 min 0 sec)

What we did was blow up the plans by 50% so the saucer section is 30 inches and total length is in the 4ft range. We are using a combination of 3 and 6 mm depron. But of course I didn't want to build the A model like John's so I did some research and decided to build the B model which appeared in the Star Trek Generations movie. I have never read about anybody building one. Built from the blown up plans on both Enterprises the saucer section and warp nacelles are the same but after that I started to do some freelancing to make it look close to the B. For power we are both using motors around 1300 kv, 40 amp esc's and 2200 mAh lipos.

I've built lots of planes and like to show up at the field with unusual stuff. I guess you could call this a plane but I prefer star ship. When my non-flying friends come to visit, they get a good laugh seeing what I'm building so it should be a fun build. I'll update this build log with images from the build. The goal is to have it leave space dock sometime in the spring when it warms up here in Wisconsin and we have nice soft areas to land on.

Oh, I almost forgot. The reason I've had more time to build is that I am in between opportunities looking for my next marketing gig so if you know anybody who is looking here around the Milwaukee area, here is the link to my Linkedin profile.
www.linkedin.com/in/danielpaulg/
PaulDaniel is offline Find More Posts by PaulDaniel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

For those of you who are not the hard core trekkers I have attached an image of the A model and one of the B model. As you can see pretty much everything aft of the saucer section is different on the B model.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:29 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
Sounds like a cool project Paul. The B would lend itself well to a flat plate style of build pretty well. Have you seen my designs for the A and D... and a few other Spacecraft...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=78981

I will be following your progress. If you need any advice I am always available.

Good Luck!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

I love your stuff! Very affordable, looks like easy builds, and most important, they fly well. I have kept most of the templates that I had to make for the B build so maybe there's a kit deal to be made
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:10 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Trek Geek Alert

B model is based on the Excelsior battleship class first seen in Wrath of Kahn. Very sleek, flat, shape that lends itseld to aerodynamics much better than any of the others except maybe C. It's not obvious from the artwork, but the saucer is totally different as well-- much flatter, and more of a rounded disk than a squared-off saucer. Also better for flying. (-:

C model is similar to B in a lot of ways, but has a larger saucer and better storyline behind it.

(I always like to be familiar with the history or story behind my "scale" models!)
rdeis is online now Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
If you really want to screw with people try this one.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:05 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
I have found that there are not that many people that are Star Trek (or Star Wars, BSG, etc) Geeks AND RC modelers.

Most of my designs have very few people that have built them. Something obscure like a non-primary Starfleet ship would probably have Zero people that build it. I love that stuff though.

There are quite a few ships that i have "Almost" built that i doubt anyone even know about.

For instance i am eventually going to take another crack at the Defiant. I built and tested one a couple years ago but i had issues with stability. That one has always been my absolute favorite Star Trek ship even though DS9 was my least favorite ST Series.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:37 AM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
[QUOTE=SGTalon;24009384]I have found that there are not that many people that are Star Trek (or Star Wars, BSG, etc) Geeks AND RC modelers.

Most of my designs have very few people that have built them. Something obscure like a non-primary Starfleet ship would probably have Zero people that build it. I love that stuff though.

I really like your stuff and will build a couple soon. I have enjoyed following your builds,
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
B model is based on the Excelsior battleship class first seen in Wrath of Kahn. Very sleek, flat, shape that lends itseld to aerodynamics much better than any of the others except maybe C. It's not obvious from the artwork, but the saucer is totally different as well-- much flatter, and more of a rounded disk than a squared-off saucer. Also better for flying. (-:

C model is similar to B in a lot of ways, but has a larger saucer and better storyline behind it.

(I always like to be familiar with the history or story behind my "scale" models!)
Boy not remembering seeing it in that movie. Just consider this one that I'm building B-ish
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

OK, so here's what I ended up buying for the build:

2 4x8 sheets of 6 mm depron to be used on the formers of the saucer section, engineering section and warp engines along with the supports.

1 4x8 sheet of 3 mm depron used for the outside skin of the saucer section and engineering section.

Lots of carbon fiber! 3 1/8th inch diameter 36 inch length to be used in supporting the saucer section. I also bought some 1/8th inch flat carbon fiber to strengthen the top of the engineering section and the supports for the warp nacelles.

1/8th inch ply to be used as the main frame. I had some laying around.

Spray 77

Foam safe CA glue

2 micro servos. Can't remember the exact specs but I had them left over from one of my planes which is no longer with me (not because of the servos) and much larger than the Enterprise.

Dynam Sonic 185 Outrunner Brushless Motor (1280kv) I chose this because I bought it by mistake and it should have enough juice to get the Enterprise flying.

45 amp ESC.

9x5 APC prop. This might change before the first flight.

2200 mah 3s lipo battery(s)

Felt tip marker to be used to outline the saucer section.

Blue and silver vinyl to trim the rest of the ship.

Pictures coming soon
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

Well duh Forgot one of the coolest things I'm doing, adding lots of lights. I'll have a list of what I got. Most of it was from Hobby King. Now there's a surprise
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
I like that model but unless you are really into Trek you wouldn't have heard of it since it was in only one episode of Next Gen. Looks really cool.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
So it'd be a conversation starter You could tell them about the difference between the Probert Ambassador class and the lame model built for the show.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:55 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
How big are you making this ship? 4x8 sheets of foam and a 45 amp esc? Sounds like it is going to be VERY big!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

It will be. The saucer section is about 30 inched in diameter and when I measure front to back it comes to about 4 ft. It will fit in the back of my Pacifica but there won't be a lot of room for other planes.