SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
Discussion
Aileron trainer

Hello,

I'd like to build a glider with ailerons as a step up from the simple rudder-elevator ones I've done before now.

I live in the UK and would prefer to build from plans rather than buy a kit. I'm not afraid to tackle a project so the amount of 'building' isn't much of a concern, I'd like it to be a reasonable size as I mostly fly from a flat field and I'm getting to the age when a big 'un is an easier to see 'un.

Can anyone recommend a suitable plan?

Many thanks,

Popov
popov56 is offline Find More Posts by popov56
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:36 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
For slope or thermal/flat field?

Although the Chris Foss Middle Phase (Advanced) is a kit it is good value and a fairly easy build. It can be flown on the flat but doesn't bungee launch or soar very well!

Plenty of plans about for slopers with ailerons (Traplet or Myhobbystores websites).

Can't think of many British thermal glider plan designs with ailerons apart from the 12 ft 'Open class' jobs from the 1980s.

Cheers and welcome to RC Groups.

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:43 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Oops! I just noticed that we are in the 'thermal' section!

There is a list of gliders that I've built in my blog, the only thermal glider with ailerons there is the Chris Foss Phase Lift. He still sells the plans (it's a big build though!).

GB
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
Oops! I just noticed that we are in the 'thermal' section!

There is a list of gliders that I've built in my blog, the only thermal glider with ailerons there is the Chris Foss Phase Lift. He still sells the plans (it's a big build though!).

GB
I've got a good large field just the other side of my garden fence for flying, whilst the nearest slope is a fair distance away. Also, I thought the more placid nature of a thermal glider might be a better notion than the rather speedy and aerobatic aileron jobs shown on most of the available plans. I'm not the world's best flyer but I do enjoy building and I'd like to try my hand at a 1/4 scale job someday, that and a slight spirit of adventure makes me went to try my hand at ailerons to see how I get on.

I'm sure I'd spend a lot of time digging the aileron models out of the turf if I tried flying them at Ivinghoe (my nearest hill) having seen the type whizzing up and down and I'm not anxious to include a shovel in my 'bits-box'

I suppose it might be possible to include ailerons on anything reasonably 'straight-winged' ........ then I could also bask in the warm glow of having done something for myself other than cutting out and glueing.

Any suggestions?

Popov
popov56 is offline Find More Posts by popov56
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:05 AM
Canada, ON, South Stormont
Joined Dec 2004
132 Posts
http://augiemckibben.tripod.com/site...hich_genie.pdf

The Easy Genie would be a good 1st aileron sailplane or even a Jouster (RCM Plans) good flying gentle sailplane that is very rugged in case of brain/finger/TX interface issues.
thermalbum is offline Find More Posts by thermalbum
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:58 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
I would recommend a 100S build, the class does not have ailerons, they're really not needed.

The West Wings Lancer look like a nice build but I think would be a fast flyer, kits do have the advantage of providing almost everything for you in one box.

Might be some Flair Albatross kits still around, the choice is rapidly thinning out in the UK.

GB
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:43 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2006
322 Posts
Have a look at Traplet plan MW2339. It is Chris Williams' 2.7m Scheibe Bergfalke. This design is basically a thermal glider masquerading as a 1:6 scale jobbie. It's not an overly complicated build either, and by all account it flies really well. Unfortunately I've given my copy of the plan and mag away already...
Windknot is offline Find More Posts by Windknot