Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Discussion
1/5th Scale 1937 Monocoupe 110 Special

Hello Forum,

I appologize for my long absence, I haven't had spare time to be active on the forum for over a year. But I thought I would update you on the latest activity of the "Greater Freeland Flying Circus".

My father Fred has turned his scratch design and build prowess to a 1/5th scale representation of the full scale 1937 Monocoupe 110 Special "Clipwing" the he restored and campained on the airshow circuit during the 1980's and '90's. This was his second Monocoupe. The first was a 90AW which he also restored, and flew airshows with through the 1960's, '70's, and 80's. One of these days we may need to model the 90AW as well.

The model is on track to weigh about 36 oz. The airframe structure weight is currently under 20 oz, and the motor and battery weigh about 10 oz.. But the airplane still need servos, linkages, wheels, wheel pants, cover and trim. To give you a sense of size, 1/5th scale generates a 55 inch wingspan. The cowl diameter, if I remember correctly, is about 8".

I will attempt to make periodic updates on progress as well as post flying reports when the time comes.

Cheers,
Rick
Rick Ludtke is offline Find More Posts by Rick Ludtke
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
681 Posts
Holy mackerel, what a beautiful airplane! I confess to being a real sucker for Monocoupes.
ClipperBill is online now Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,546 Posts
There is a Model 110 at the Udvar-Hazy Center over at Dulles airport near me. Whenever I drop by there and look at the 110 I always wonder how that thing flew with those itty bitty wings. From a short distance it looks like a model.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Last edited by Brian Allen; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allen View Post
There is a Model 100 at the Udvar-Hazy Center over at Dulles airport near me. Whenever I drop by there and look at the 100 I always wonder how that thing flew with those itty bitty wings. From a short distance it looks like a model.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Hello Brian,

That is the 110 Special "Little Butch" made famous by Woody Edmonson. When I was a kid, I traveled with my father in his old 90AW to fly airshows in the mid west, where we commonly spent time with John McCulloch, who owned Little Butch at the time.

When I visited the Udvar-Hazy Center a few years ago, the sport aviation section was like stepping back into my own history. Seeing John's Monocoupe, Art Scholl's Super Chipmonk, and Leo Loudenslagers Lazer, to name a few, was an emotional experience for me. My father and I spent a lot of time time with all of the airshow greats of the period when I was growing up. And now many of the airplanes of those greats are on display togather in the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Our clipwing was completed after I was old enough to fly, and so I was lucky enough to get several hundred hours in the bird before it was sold to finance my fathers retirement. I can tell you the Clipwing flies very well, and is an utter delight. It is fast, and the stall speed is high (about 65 mph), but it is a fantastic airplane to fly. The controls are not well balanced: Like all Monocoupes, the ailerons are stiff and heavy, but the roll rates are dramaticly fast. In pitch it is light, but in yaw it is super light. While the Clipwing has a faster top speed and cruise than a Pitts S-2A or a Christien Eagle, its aerobatic performance is rather simular, but with much higher pilot workload.

Our clipwing was powered by a 165 hp Warner, swinging a 100" Aeromatic propellor. It would cruise at 160 mph, had a level top speed of 200 mph, and we could dive it well in excess that.

Cheers
Rick
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; May 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:11 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
It's not that the wings are short, it's that the fuselage is long...that's how I looked at it with my Tucker P63, and it works out fine if thats the thinking.

She's a nice bird, really pretty. Nice model!
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Jul 2009
87 Posts
I always enjoyed watching your Dad's aerobatic performances; I attended many Watsonville and Merced fly-ins when I lived in Northern Ca. It's nice to see that you all are keeping the Monocoupes alive...
IndoorFlyerABQ is online now Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,696 Posts
Rick,

I really love the classic vintage airplanes, watching your progress.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
Olympia, WA USA
Joined May 2001
188 Posts
Rick,

Please say hello to your Dad for me. He may remember me as the artist who did all those airplane magazine cover paintings....AND the guy with the red Cessna 140.

Bob Benjamin
Bob Benjamin is offline Find More Posts by Bob Benjamin
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Power System

Well, I ordered the power system from my favoright supplier, Heads Up R/C http://www.headsuprc.com, but don't tell my Dad, as it is his Christmas surprise.

The motor is the Emax GT2812/10 which will produce:
- 47 oz thrust drawing 24 amps with the APC 11 x 5.5E prop.
- 40 oz thrust drawing 23 amps with the APC 10 x 7E prop.

I bought both props, thinking that the 11 inch will climb better, and the 10 inch will be faster. We'll try them both out and see what we like the best.

A scale prop would be 14 inches, but motors on three cells that could drive the 14 prop would be far to large and heavy to balance for this airplanes low weight.

For the battery, I selected a couple of DBY-Power 11.1v, 2200mah, 30C Lipo's. This will give me one to fly, and another one for more flying.

This combination will put me right about 1:1 thrust to weight ratio, which should be more than acceptable for realistic scale flight. I always like a little power kept in reserve to use to create longer vertical lines, in order to make up for the models lack of scale inertia. With this set up, I anticipate scale performance using about 75% of full power.

I picked up servos, speed control, servo extensions etc. etc, everything Dad needs to get the systems installed before covering.

Cheers,

Rick
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,027 Posts
Really nice. I look forward to seeing the test flight.

(Any hope of plans being made available? - love Monocoupes)

Martin
Martin Irvine is online now Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Irvine View Post

Martin
Hi Martin,

I will press him to generate drawings. Typically he drafts up only enough to generate patterns, which he then cuts up for the build. By the time the airplane is done, there is very little left to package into a drawing, which is a shame. The 4.5:1 Pitts S-1 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401272) he built for me is a really fantastic flier, and should be shared with others, as very few good Pitts drawings seem to exist for electric power. We also have a 1/6 scale Waco Cabin YQCD ready to fly, but yet unflown (we'll fly it this spring) that I bet would also be a popular design.

If I had the time, I would generate 3d models and files for wood cutting, but as I am a full time engineer with the Boeing Company, and have sports-active teen age girls and a wife, my progress would be far too slow. My father (retired engineer and school teacher) is very capible of hand drafting, so perhaps I will get him set up with a good drafting table, and tell him to have at it. That would help him stay busy, which is more or less why he is building models now (and why they are stacking up like cord wood).

Pictures of recent models can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=337533

Cheers,
Rick
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
AMA 34191
Fayetteville, PA
Joined Dec 2002
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Irvine View Post

Martin
^This!^

Subscribed!

Vulgar Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Good News!

I'd like to anounce that plans will be availible, eventually. We now have a plan to reach this goal.

I just got my father set up with a drafting table, and am seeking a drafting machine to go with it, as he is an analog guy (sorry, no digital designs or cut files).

First off the drawing board will be the 46" 4.5:1 Pitts S-1 that he built for me a couple of years ago. The drafting will occur simultaneously with the Monocoupe build. This Pitts S-1 was scaled directly from Pitts factory drawings, and is extremely acurite. It features stick construction exactly replacing the tube construction of the full scale original.

You can see the build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401272

Then, after the Pitts is complete, he will begin to generate the Monocoupe drawings. The Monocoupe is also scaled directly from original facotry drawings.

The Cabin Waco which we will fly this spring, should follow the Monocoupe.

The plan is to continue to develop designs that are of interest to us, and make them availible for others to build as well. So far, my Father's designs have been exceptional flyers, extremely rugged, yet very lightweight.

We fly off of grass, so have settled in on scales that use 2 1/2" to 3" wheels. These are nice sizes for transport, and keep costs in check. But certainly the drawings can be scaled up or down during printing if that is your preference.

The drawings will be availible to purchase as they become availible. I will provide more information as it becomes known.

To see pictures of the airplane designs flying or under construction, see my blog page: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=337533

Cheers,

Rick
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:06 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Tell your dad the Coupe is really beautiful Rick, and I will purchase a set of plans when available for sure!

I am currently assembling a Great Planes Mr Mulligan with a Turnigy G32 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_770kv_.html
, Turnigy Delux 70 amp ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Logging.html ,
and 4 cell lipos http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
It`s along the same nice size as your designs.

But your dad`s Clip Wing is way,way sweeter, and would make it a great winter project for another season.

Let us know when they (plans) come available, and how much, and I will send him the funds pronto.

Thanks again,
Chad Hossack, Ancaster Ontario Canada L9G-3L1

chadhossack@yahoo.com
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Last edited by Chad H; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:56 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Clipwing Monocoupe Drawings Are Underway!

Hello Everyone,

As many of you have expressed interest, I am please to anounce that the clipwing drawings are under way, and the prototype construction is continuing along. We plan to fly the Monocoupe this spring to validate the design, then make the drawings availible for purchase.

We are excited, as we think this will be a great flying airplane. The clipwing is expected to weigh in around 36 oz all up, and will be powered with a power system producing about 40 oz of thrust from 3 cells.

Other designs are planned or are already availible. The drawings for the 1/4.546" span Pitts Special S-1 in the background above is now availible for purchase if you are interested, and the 1/6 scale Waco Cabin is planned to be drafted in the future. More information on the Pitts S-1 drawings are avilible here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819329

All of these models are scaled for 3" wheels, which we think is the minimum size for operating from mowed grass fields. Our design philosophy is that this size airplane helps keep costs in check, make the airplanes more readibly transportable, keeps the wing loading down to reasonable pilot skill level values, and yet is big enough to present the airplane well visually in the air.

By the way, Fred has developed several wheel pant molds for our standard 3 inch wheel. More than likely he could be persuaded to lay up parts for you if asked. With enough persuading, he may even develop cowling molds for his designs.

Cheers
Rick
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; Feb 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM.