HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
Ummm, 33 feet is 10 meters. OK, so I didn't get the year right. Same boat.
Okay, you win half the jelly bean!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,817 Posts
Just some food for thought since I noticed some rush to label something as not being scratch built. I have after viewing the pictures of the model can say for sure that the model in question is not a DUMAS TROJAN 31’. The Dumas model measures in at an overall length of 31”. the one pictured with Tony holding the boat, looks to be every bit of 36” in length.

Another thing to remember is that if two people model the same subject, and in the same scale, chances are that the models will come out looking the same. The Dumas model of the Trojan was planked with sheet birch plywood, (one of the better wood choices that Dumas supplied in kits). Tony’s model was planked with sheet balsa wood. Tony may have seen a model of a Dumas built Trojan, and used some of the building Techniques, but never the less it is a scratch build model by anyone’s description.

I have been scratch building model boats for over 50 years and designing model kits for over twenty years, and I am the first one to say, if I see how someone has done something to due a job easier, I will now incorporate in into my designs.

I have built the model of the Dumas TROJAN 31’, more years ago than I care to remember, and as I recall the instructions that came with the kit were beyond lacking. They just plain SUCKED, and anyone who completes the kit should be awarded a gold metal for perseverance.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:56 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
I have personally purchased BUD NOSEN Lite Plywood for Tony Lombardo as this is what he uses. It is easier to work with than the regular Plywood as you can snap off end pieces very quickly without the need for too much sawing.

I do a hobby run for Tony at our large supplier known as GRAVES RC here in Orlando, Florida
http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/707.htm

and BUD's web site is:

http://budnosenmodels.com/index.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:24 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
Just some food for thought since I noticed some rush to label something as not being scratch built. I have after viewing the pictures of the model can say for sure that the model in question is not a DUMAS TROJAN 31’. The Dumas model measures in at an overall length of 31”. the one pictured with Tony holding the boat, looks to be every bit of 36” in length.

Another thing to remember is that if two people model the same subject, and in the same scale, chances are that the models will come out looking the same. The Dumas model of the Trojan was planked with sheet birch plywood, (one of the better wood choices that Dumas supplied in kits). Tony’s model was planked with sheet balsa wood. Tony may have seen a model of a Dumas built Trojan, and used some of the building Techniques, but never the less it is a scratch build model by anyone’s description.

I have been scratch building model boats for over 50 years and designing model kits for over twenty years, and I am the first one to say, if I see how someone has done something to due a job easier, I will now incorporate in into my designs.

I have built the model of the Dumas TROJAN 31’, more years ago than I care to remember, and as I recall the instructions that came with the kit were beyond lacking. They just plain SUCKED, and anyone who completes the kit should be awarded a gold metal for perseverance.
Frankg,

Thank you for your post!

I am going to verify what you just posted and note that Mark is taking out the model that was "Scratched Built" by Tony Lombardo from his 2003 Toyota Camry and that trunk has a width of approximately 54 inches across.

As you can see that model is pretty large as it spans almost the entire width of the Camry's trunk so, your estimate of being "at least" 36 inches is totally correct and therefore, NOT anything to do with DUMAS!

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
That doesn't look anywhere near "spanning the entire trunk". LOL! All the same, it's a wonderful boat.

I'm inclined to start making more clones. My first boats didn't have the finish I was looking for.

I may start again, but it won't be an exact copy of the Dumas.

I would like to build a model of the fiberglass version that came later.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
That doesn't look anywhere near "spanning the entire trunk". LOL! All the same, it's a wonderful boat.

I'm inclined to start making more clones. My first boats didn't have the finish I was looking for.

I may start again, but it won't be an exact copy of the Dumas.

I would like to build a model of the fiberglass version that came later.
Tollytime!

I had asked Mark (Marked) as you may recall buying stuff from him, to come here and profess the dimensions of the Trojan Boat that he acquired and it seems like he forgot.

I had him on the telephone and it seems like you are CORRECT!

Something like 33.5 inches long and 11 inches width so, it just maybe "A COPY" of the DUMAS. The darn thing is so Tall and Wide that it seems bigger (in length) than other boats.

Mark told me that you are very knowledgeable on Boats, full size and hobby grade.

YOU WIN!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
500 Posts
Tony told me he purchased plans AFTER he built the Trojan. He did copy the building technique to finish the top.
You guys Really know your boats...to me its just a cruiser.
Needs lights.....
Marked is online now Find More Posts by Marked
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Tollytime!

YOU WIN!
What did I win??!! Do you need my PayPal address to send my winnings?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
Are you going to convert this to twins, or are you going with one big motor.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:29 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Are you going to convert this to twins, or are you going with one big motor.
Mark?

It seems like that Black & Decker Saw Motor Brushed is propelling this Cruiser very nicely and drilling a new set of Stuffing boxes will take more time and effort such that I just do not see it in the future for Mark due to the Holidays and all the family stuff plus certain Scratch Built project known as his Miniature Ultra Light Aircraft that has been taking lots of his time. However, who knows perhaps Mark will have the time and energy to cut out all that foam inside the hull and drill away!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
198 Posts
Beautiful boat, and yes, it is very close to the F-31 lines. Several years ago I bashed the Dumas kit to build a Trojan Sea Raider which is very different than the F-31. There's a build log named "F-31 Trojan Modification" on this site in case anyone wants to see it. I used the frames (after much cutting so I could have a finished cabin) and hull sides and threw away the rest of the Dumas materials abd fittings. After the hull, mine was also built from pictures of the cruiser that I owned for 16 years. That;s not the same as building an entire model from pictures, and I admire Mr. Lonbardo's skill and talent.
Cold Duck is offline Find More Posts by Cold Duck
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
I was thinking about bashing one and making an F32 sedan,had one many years ago
Browndog is online now Find More Posts by Browndog