HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 07:09 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
Discussion
Fancy Foam Warbird Series

Working with Jack Cooper we are developing a series of EPP warbird models. Construction is 9mm EPP forming a box fuselage with a CNC hot wire cut wing. The models have a light wing loading allowing for a very broad speed range and are very fun to fly. The first two models are a P-51D Mustang and a P-47C Thunderbolt. Coming soon are the P-40 Warhawk and ME109.
Mike
Fancyfoam

Fancy Foam Warbirds! (2 min 28 sec)

Some of you may have a motor that will need the shaft reversed so the motor can be mounted behind the firewall. These pictures show the procedure.
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Last edited by motorhead; Jul 25, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,801 Posts
I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find a segmant of the market that is interested in your product. But for me, there is no interest in the boxed model.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old May 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,992 Posts
I quite like these as an alternative to a lightweight profile foamie aerobat, but I think you'll find the majority of this forum will be underwhelmed.I've not been posting to this particular forum long, but so many conversations here tend to come down to requests for ever more scaled decal. Best of luck though, they sure do seem to fly well!

Matt
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old May 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
Total Newbie
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2011
71 Posts
Honestly, I can say that this is exactly what I've been looking for. Was tempted to buy a couple of the techone profile warbirds to practice streamer and contact combat. The price and fact they're profile planes thankfully turned me off. Cannot wait to hear more about these, since they look to fly so well. Keep up the good work designing fun aircraft guys.
Tarak is online now Find More Posts by Tarak
Old May 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
This is the one I built for the construction pictures. My buddy took it and did a good job on the paint. I says that he is having a ball flying it. I will try to get some video soon of his flying.
Mike
Old May 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarak View Post
Honestly, I can say that this is exactly what I've been looking for. Was tempted to buy a couple of the techone profile warbirds to practice streamer and contact combat. The price and fact they're profile planes thankfully turned me off. Cannot wait to hear more about these, since they look to fly so well. Keep up the good work designing fun aircraft guys.
I 2nd that. finally epp scale looking warbirds.

Jack cooper? where he's been hiding? You guys will make a good team. I can see lots of good planes coming soon! Keep up the good work.

Mike, any offering on painted kits on the warbirds?
and when will the motors be back in stock for this plane?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old May 15, 2012, 02:46 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
They need to be painted after assembly and would be too expensive to ship. Luckily most of the paint schemes are simple and easy.
The motors are on order.
Mike
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:49 AM
Which way is the wind blowing?
Wilson, Kansas
Joined Oct 2008
100 Posts
These fly great and are a blast to fly. You will do things with theses you would not do with your scale planes. If it crashes, a little Welder and your flying in 5 minutes! The Mustang is a great flyer! Mine just needs some paint.
RevBarron is online now Find More Posts by RevBarron
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:47 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
I have edited post 1 to show how to reverse a motor shaft if needed to mount the motor on the back of a firewall as needed on these warbirds.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBarron View Post
These fly great and are a blast to fly.
+1 I agree. Just built a 42" P-47, it flys beautifully. Big gracefull loops, very axial rolls, surprisingly flat glide path. The shape of the bottom of the fuselage (not having the "oil cooler scoop") lets it belly land very nicely.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
607 Posts
Mike,

I like the idea of the warbirds and will order P-40 as soon as they are available. Is there enough overlap at the corners, like the Quick Stick to do some rounding?

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:18 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
The foam is 9mm thick and the corners are butted together. You could order a piece of scrap with your kit and add to the inside to allow a little more rounding.
Yea, yea, I know. Quit posting and finish the P-40.

Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Don't Call Me Shirley
United States, VA, Bassett
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Great new additions! Any chance of posting the plans as you did with the EZFlyer?
Tucknut is offline Find More Posts by Tucknut
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:11 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
With the difficulty for most to be able to cut airfoiled wings I do not release plans on my airfoil planes.
Mike
Fancyfoam