Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 09, 2012, 09:40 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Poll
should vendors have to pay for return shipping

I've seen my fair share of cases where people feel the vendor should pay for return shipping on defective/DOA/broken items.

Then I kinda thought to myself- "hey the last few times I bought defective items from my LHS, I had to drive back to my LHS to exchange the item and I can't remember ever asking for gas money." I just wondered what my LHS would say if I demanded gas money. I mean these days, the closest LHS to me is 8 miles, and total trip is 16 miles...and with my truck doing 16-18 miles/gallon, I figured the LHS owes me $4.29.

if you're one of those that demands online vendors pay for shipping back, would you feel comfortable asking your LHS to pay for your gas?

What do you think?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 11:09 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,888 Posts
That depends on if they offer it as part of their terms of sale. If they state that return shipping is the responsibility of the customer then no, if they state return shipping is covered by them should there be a problem or should the customer choose to return the item then yes.
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old May 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Couldn't use the poll as the options are too limited.

Yes they should pay for return costs if they supply an unfit or incorrect item however the law would expect you to use the vendor shipment options, not yours, to limit the costs.

Standard business practice in OZ.

Terms of sale are worth the value of the media they are written on, you can't sign away your responsibility in OZ. I don't care what is written in the terms and conditions. I expect mechandisable items as described in the ad or as could be reasonably expected, the vendor has to make good on supply of same if it falls short.

Recently a vendor in China tried to get me to pay for return of an incorrectly supplied product. I did all they asked such as pictures of the incorrect unit but it was to be my cost to return. Oh sure. I immediately raised a paypal dispute. They sent a replacement but never paid for return postage.

I do not pay for other's mistakes (at work or home). Nothing like a few losses to encourage process improvement.

Occasionally the value of the item is not worth the hassle and time dealing with OS companies or trying to return the item. My last HK order mistake was supplying two incorrect props in a $260 order, for a couple of stocking fillers I was not going to waste my time, gave them away and ordered the correct ones next order.

For LHS (nearest usable is about 10km away) I would never ask as they are only a slight deviation on normal travel and the couple of times over 20 years I got a small gift for my trouble and as an apology. However I never pay for return for mail order in OZ. I have paid for postage etc but was given a refund via CC or store credit in exchange.

I have had excellent mail order customer service from Ringo, Ming and Phillip; really above and beyond. Luckily only a couple of minor problems with HK over last 7 years or so.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old May 10, 2012, 03:50 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
it was limited for a purpose. what I really want to know is for those that believes/demand that online vendors are responsible for paying for return shipping, would those same people require their LHS to pay for their gas?

it really is a very simple concept.

shipping (online vendor) = gas (LHS)

and if this is so, I'd like those people the next time they do a return at their LHS (when it's not their fault) to demand for gas and see what the LHS's response is.
If you truly believe online vendors need to pay for return shipping, would you do me a favor and ask your LHS to pay for your gas the next time you have to do a return?

I've had to do my share of returns at my LHS where it's their fault, and I'll tell you, they'd think I'm from space if I would of asked for gas.
BTW - my LHS won't accept any returns that are open.
Last edited by rcalldaylong; May 10, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
I have a Spektrum DX8 transmitter that was on the recall list at Horizon Hobby. I responded to their online querry and they sent me an RMA and shipping lable. They paid to ship it back to them even though I bought it at my LHS, and they repaired it and paid to ship it back all at no charge to me.

Yep, if an online vendor sends me the wrong stuff or something that doesn't work right out of the box they should pay to replace it and that includes shipping. BP hobbies is an online vendor and they have done that for me twice, why should any other online vendor be different.
edsmith Top Spin is offline Find More Posts by edsmith Top Spin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmith View Post
I have a Spektrum DX8 transmitter that was on the recall list at Horizon Hobby. I responded to their online querry and they sent me an RMA and shipping lable. They paid to ship it back to them even though I bought it at my LHS, and they repaired it and paid to ship it back all at no charge to me.

Yep, if an online vendor sends me the wrong stuff or something that doesn't work right out of the box they should pay to replace it and that includes shipping. BP hobbies is an online vendor and they have done that for me twice, why should any other online vendor be different.
Yes! I've got a fish hooked.

Now. the next time you get a defective item from your LHS, can you pls ask them to pay for your gas, and also get that filmed or a receipt showing return of your gas and let us know what their response is.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Yes! I've got a fish hooked.

Now. the next time you get a defective item from your LHS, can you pls ask them to pay for your gas, and also get that filmed or a receipt showing return of your gas and let us know what their response is.
Forgive me for asking but how old are you?
edsmith Top Spin is offline Find More Posts by edsmith Top Spin
Old May 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Forgive me for asking but how old are you?
Forgive me, but are you having a hard time understanding my post?

it's a very simple concept. Pls enlighten me on what your LHS says.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,888 Posts
Quote:

ed, this is all well and good. I work with a chap who got a Spectrum DX7 from Horizon as well. He like me is located outside of the US in Australia. There was an issue and Horizon offered to fix the problem but He had to pay the postage to send it to them.l No if's but's or maybe's. If he wanted it fixed by Horizon he had to pay the shipping back.

Are we getting it yet? Shoppers have to be smart and take a lot into consideration when purchasing. What works for some simply won't work the same way for others.

Yep there are expectations and sure some vendors provide fantastic service depending on where the customer is.

My APC props turned up from Tower at almost 4 weeks (normally it's around 2 weeks to Aus). I love Tower because they have a great through put of the common big brand name Items I need. I also note on a lot of their items when you purchase them they put a statement that "it is best for the customer to deal direct with manufacturer xxxxxxx in the event of an issue" All good as far as I'm concerned but think about it.

I ordered and it took 4 days for the order to be packed an despatched.

It took over 3 weeks for the items to get to me.

If one of my APC props was broken Tower did not wish to assist with warranty.

I somehow think if it wasn't me then yet another "the world is ending and vendor X are cheats liars and theives and will be shut down by the end of the month" blurb would have appeared on numerous forums.

Mark
Old May 11, 2012, 05:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post

Yes they should pay for return costs if they supply an unfit or incorrect item however the law would expect you to use the vendor shipment options, not yours, to limit the costs.

Standard business practice in OZ.

Terms of sale are worth the value of the media they are written on, you can't sign away your responsibility in OZ. I don't care what is written in the terms and conditions. I expect mechandisable items as described in the ad or as could be reasonably expected, the vendor has to make good on supply of same if it falls short.

Recently a vendor in China tried to get me to pay for return of an incorrectly supplied product. I did all they asked such as pictures of the incorrect unit but it was to be my cost to return. Oh sure. I immediately raised a paypal dispute. They sent a replacement but never paid for return postage.

I do not pay for other's mistakes (at work or home). Nothing like a few losses to encourage process improvement.

Occasionally the value of the item is not worth the hassle and time dealing with OS companies or trying to return the item. My last HK order mistake was supplying two incorrect props in a $260 order, for a couple of stocking fillers I was not going to waste my time, gave them away and ordered the correct ones next order.

For LHS (nearest usable is about 10km away) I would never ask as they are only a slight deviation on normal travel and the couple of times over 20 years I got a small gift for my trouble and as an apology. However I never pay for return for mail order in OZ. I have paid for postage etc but was given a refund via CC or store credit in exchange.

I have had excellent mail order customer service from Ringo, Ming and Phillip; really above and beyond. Luckily only a couple of minor problems with HK over last 7 years or so.
I couldnt have said it any better .. they shouldnt ship a item out of there company if the item isnt working or broken in the first place ...
jeffhines2673 is online now Find More Posts by jeffhines2673
Old May 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
If I purchase an item from my LHS I can examine it and check that it is the correct part and/or damaged before completing the transaction, i.e. handing over my money. If during my transporting it home it becomes damaged, then that is my own fault so no, I would not feel comfortable asking for gas money (nor do I feel I would have to)

When ordering from vendors, I cannot first check that the item is correct/undamaged. So, if they send me an incorrect or defective item, yes, they should bloody well pay for the return postage.
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old May 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
If I order a 16 oz fuel tank from HK, and they ship me a 8 oz tank, YEAH, they should be responsible for the shipping costs.

If I order a Biplane and they send me a monoplane, YEAH, HK should be responsible for shipping.

If I order a battery pack from HK and they ship me a dead on arrival battery pack after they advertise that they (HOBBY KING) checks each and every battery pack before shipping, YEAH, HK should be responsible for shipping.

At my local hobby shop, if I get a bad battery pack, (which has never happened) and I take it back, the owner usually throws in something extra for free for my inconvenience. HOBBY KING will just stall you for several months through their non existant online service, un answered e-mails, until the exchange period has expired and then want to charge you shipping back and shipping again for the replacement battery.

So the so called cheaper battery just cost 3 or 4 times what my LHS charged.

SO TO ANSWER YOU POLL, YES, Hobby King should be responsible for all the shipping charges.

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Old May 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,888 Posts
Ahh pullup, Who said anything about Hobby King?

Cheers. mark
Old May 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Jun 07, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Jun 07, 2012 at 05:28 PM.