HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:11 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
963 Posts
Discussion
High voltage servos, such as Hitec's do they work with 4.8V-6V voltage?

Hello
The high voltage servos, such as Hitec's, do they work with 4.8V-6V voltage?

/Ville
liukku is online now Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, AZ, Cochise
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Im going to say yes . But maybe if you list some specific models people can give a more educated answer
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
Im going to say yes . But maybe if you list some specific models people can give a more educated answer
I was thinking about the Ultra Premium Digital-serie, e.g.HS-7115TH HV Ultra Slim Titanium Gear Servo
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-7115th.html

But I also ask the question in general, what about other brands servos?

/Ville
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
All the HV servos have specs listed at 6.0 /7.4v... using them at 4.8v is also possible with reduced performance.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
All the HV servos have specs listed at 6.0 /7.4v... using them at 4.8v is also possible with reduced performance.

Mike.
Thank you Mike

That is what I wanted to hear.

/Ville
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,174 Posts
IF-- you are using smaller ESC with internal BEC setups - don't bother with HV servos Mot of those run an output of 5-5.5 volts for the rx and servos
Other than that exception, HV servos have a lot going for em.
I run A123 battery packs on anything othe than small electric powered models . these and 2 cell Lipos proved same servo power at lower amps.-
The servo wiring, which is really WAY behind the curve in all of the present radios, is not as likely to overheat.
Any larger models , now get HV servos -
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
IF-- you are using smaller ESC with internal BEC setups - don't bother with HV servos Mot of those run an output of 5-5.5 volts for the rx and servos
Other than that exception, HV servos have a lot going for em.
I run A123 battery packs on anything othe than small electric powered models . these and 2 cell Lipos proved same servo power at lower amps.-
The servo wiring, which is really WAY behind the curve in all of the present radios, is not as likely to overheat.
Any larger models , now get HV servos -
If, as Mike says, I see no problem to use high voltage servos via a 5V-5, 5V bec circuit. Why not bother? I can think of several reasons to want to use a mixture of high voltage servos and my old (4.8V-6V) low voltage servos. Above Said Hitec servos would suit me very nicely because of its size.
But as I said, my question was mostly meant as a general question about the usage possibility.

/Ville
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,104 Posts
If you go to Hitec's webpage and read the specs for their HV servos it states 7.4v and 6.0v input voltage for their HV servos . Running lower input voltage than 6.0v would work but the servo performance will be very weak and slow. I have several planes with HV servos and have been running them for quite a while. The HV model servos have similar performance specs to their equivalent standard voltage servos, not extra power from higher input voltage or different power source. It is still best to run a regulator to keep input voltage constant under load and flight to flight. This is very helpful for precision aerobatics etc.

There are two advantages to HV servos, weight savings of lipo cells and running higher input voltage to the Receiver. Higher input voltage for a 2.4 receiver helps prevent brown out situations that can happen with most any brand receiver. An ounce of prevention saves pounds of cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
Hello
The high voltage servos, such as Hitec's, do they work with 4.8V-6V voltage?

/Ville
Jaguar22 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jaguar22; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,288 Posts
The regulator can do more harm than good in situations with high instantaneous current demand. For voltage stability under load, a 2S A123 pack is all the regulation you need.
I have a set of the new Hitec HS-430BH going into a new build, though will be on 2s A123. Looks like a nice dual BB servo for less than 15 bucks.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
The regulator can do more harm than good in situations with high instantaneous current demand. For voltage stability under load, a 2S A123 pack is all the regulation you need.
I have a set of the new Hitec HS-430BH going into a new build, though will be on 2s A123. Looks like a nice dual BB servo for less than 15 bucks.
Pete
The guys who have not used A123 and really understand WHY the differences - won't agree - but -then it's their choice --
Lipos have their place tho-
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson