Amazing character.
http://www.solotheamericas.org/
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Very interesting, hadn't heard about him before. Will follow his progress from now on.

We have recently started sailing again, and bought a V15 just before Christmas - we will be racing this year probably, but it's mostly for fun. It is really helping me get back in shape that's for sure. If people think sailing a small, fast dinghy is relaxing - they should try it. Fun it certainly is, but relaxing, no siree!
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
751 Posts
Boy thats the truth.

Used to race lazers, Hobies, and bigger boats as well. I think the Lazar was the biggest physical workout when the wind was blowing. Tucking your feet under the straps, hanging your butt over the side and doing what is in essence one long sit up.

At least you got to change sides once in a while when you tacked.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:57 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Boy thats the truth.

Used to race lazers, Hobies, and bigger boats as well. I think the Lazar was the biggest physical workout when the wind was blowing. Tucking your feet under the straps, hanging your butt over the side and doing what is in essence one long sit up.

At least you got to change sides once in a while when you tacked.
Absolutely. I do love Lasers, and we have been considering getting one , you don't need a crew so can sail whenever you like, but we both need to get back into the swing of things again first.

It's been quite a while since I sailed dinghys, and I must say, the V15, being basically a 2 man laser, can be quite the handful at times. Still, I'm a good swimmer, which helps
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
My ex-brother-in-law had a Fireball, and used to scare his ride-alongs less, it was so scary fast.
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:05 AM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Quote:
Alaska

You know when your girl is really mad at you, angry looking and yelling. Even though she’s mad I can’t help but think, man you look sexy. I could never say this because it would just make things worse. The ocean is like a woman, its beautiful when its angry. Although it can also destroy you when its angry, like a woman. A few hours after I wrote my last entry the winds picked up out of the southeast and in 12 hours became a gale. It was blowing 40kts with higher gusts and was the most wind iv had this trip. St Brendan held up well and could have taken more. The waves in Amundsen Gulf are erratic, I think because it has an odd shape that causes a lot of wave reflection. Several times I had a green wall of water come crashing down into my cockpit filling it up and leaving me pooped. The cockpit doesn’t drain terribly quick but on the other hand my boat didn’t seem to care. A couple times when the water drained some fish would be left flopping around in my cockpit, unfortunately they were too small to eat.

There is something particularly nasty about an Arctic gale. The water up here is so cold that when I stick my hand in it I feel a burning sensation instead of a cold sensation. I deployed 450 feet of 1/2 inch warp in a loop from port stern cleat to starboard stern cleat. It was the first step of two for slowing the boat down. In a true gale, or more importantly a storm, instead of going fast you want to slow the boat down to keep her from going out of control. The second step would have been to attach a drouge to one end of the warp and attach the other end of the wrap to a bridle. It never got bad enough to have to resort to full depolyment. Its a good sign – the Albin Vega 27 is much more capable than she looks – but she’s not comfortable. Sailing this little boat in big seas is like driving an old Alfa Romeo spider, you’re only doing 40 but it feels like your going 65.

Again I lost another meal. The gimbal on my stove is no longer gimbaling right and in heavy weather it spills my meal everywhere. So I don’t eat.

After the gale the wind started to die down quickly so I raised my big asymmetrical sail. I was bringing in half my warp, hand over hand, when a strong gust of wind came from a different direction and detached my big sail from the whisker pole. The wind changed direction again and my whisker pole punched a hole right through the sail. The sail was impaled and was threatening to rip in half so I quickly ran forward and released the pole. I was able to prevent any further damage to the sail but in the confusion I forgot about the warp and it pulled itself overboard. It was a stupid mistake. I’ve been hard on myself about it. A stupid mistake in the Arctic can kill you. I still have a 250 foot 1/2 warp and a 200 foot 1/2 warp so its not the end of the world. Ill be able to fix my sail as soon as I get a sunny day so I can dry the sail out first. Its been foggy and raining for over a week now so who know when that will be.

The moisture gets in everything. This boat has been wet inside for so long that the wood is starting to turn black in some places (the first sign of wood rot). It has killed two out of four inverters, my multimeter, one pair of headphones (if I lose my last pair I’ll have no more music) and I have black mold in all of my books and cloths. I’m looking forward to the warm dry weather of the open Pacific. I’ve got a long way to go before I get there so I try not to fantasize about it to much.

Shortly after I lost my warp the wind died completely but there was still a heavy swell. I spent the next 11 hours sitting in the cold rain staring at my compass, motoring along. My compass is still about 80 degrees off and it drifts around a lot never really stopping on one heading. Trying to steer by it is a joke. So I used the direction of the wave swell and steered by that. My fuel gauge, engine temperature gauge and my engine stop lever all stoped working at the same time. I don’t really need my temp gauge because I know my engines temperature by feeling the engine. I don’t have a heater on this boat so my engine has become a giant hand and foot warmer. Most older sail boats don’t have a fuel gauge so I don’t really need one. As far as the engine shut off lever goes, I can always just turn the engine off from the engine itself.

I will not be done traversing the Northwest Passage until I pass Barrow Point Alaska which is still 300+ miles away. After Barrow Point I can finally head south!

Fortitudine Vincimus
http://www.solotheamericas.org/?p=171
That was written 6 months and some 15,000 miles ago.

Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:15 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Pretty dang cool. I missed out on really learning boating, sailing, at one point, my ex, being from Savannah entertained the idea of moving down there, and I was up for it. Plus I knew a fellow from New Zealand who had moved down from Atlanta a couple years earlier, his wife was also from Savannah.

I did get to take the ex's aunt's little motorboat out onto the Intercoastal, and that was a lot of fun.... I actually subscribed to Wooden Boat for a while. Good magazine... What would be cool there would be to take a kayak up into the marsh at high tide. The ocean really floods deep into the marsh and there are pathways where the water goes, just right for a kayak.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts

Almost home!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

Almost home!
By the looks of that hull I'd say his GPS plotted a course through the Gulf Of Mexico.

You know I was kinda disappointed in the thread title....I thought it was going to about something more like this.......

Red Solo Cup-Toby Keith Lyrics (3 min 47 sec)
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:37 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Filthy!

I would hate to the one who gets to clean that....
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I raced all sorts of sailboats for years, from cats to maxiracers. I NEVER had any interest in soloing or races longer than overnight. Too much work!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
I have great respect for these long-haul solo sailors.

Lots of work, but there's something primordial being on the ocean in a small boat alone. Being chief cook and bottle washer, with no TV and only yourself to argue with (once in awhile, I would even win an argument) for days and weeks on end, is something I've found few people can handle - but the experience is priceless!

I soloed to Bermuda from Newport in a boat about the size as the one pictured, using only a sextant for navigation (another forgotten discipline), as well as several other solo offshore passages of several days. But, without the luxury of a crew, there's always something to do to keep your mind active.

It's strange to think that most people have never spent more than a day without being within a few miles of another person, and now, with cell phones, only a keypad's reach away from interacting with someone.

Ahhh, the bliss of a beam reach on a night's passage with only the phosphorescence in the wake for company...
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3